1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

I can guarantee we try to flip Gordon and the bench for love

2. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

The Spacing Issues are caused by a lack of shooters

Hence Covington and Tucker

Horford is the odd man out

Did you see what they did to the clippers?

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The problem the 76ers have is that Simmons and Embiid occupy the same space. If Embiid was here with WB, then the Rockets would have the same problem.

It is tough to play two non-shooters together in today’s NBA. Hence the Capela trade.

I don’t care what a team does in one game. I’d rather look at the season as a whole.

4. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Embid can shoot

they have the best record at home

a lot of their issues comes down to everyone else's ability too shoot and a coaching game plan

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I suggest we do the same. His energy with Westbrick would be amazing. They would feed off each other and wear teams out with constant alley oops. No team in the current NBA could keep up with those two for 30 minutes a game. Oh, I’m sorry meant 30 seconds a game for Faried with MDA coaching :).

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think this offseason will be fascinating since morey has a lot of wiggle room under the lux threshold. To figure out possible moves I’d imagine we operate under a couple of basic tenets

1) We will not cross luxury threshold of 139 million. As evidenced by Tillman’s previous actions
    2) We will fully commit to switch small ball defense

To fully commit to tenet 2 we need long lanky defenders with ability to deflect and play big. I think we have enough proof that this our style since we committed to roco, caboclo, and heavily rumored to be in on wood. I think not only will we be the thiccbois but also the longbois. They don’t necessarily need to hit the 3 at a great clip but be comfortable launching high volume. With that in mind I’ll delve into what I would like our moves to be.

Our core team locked into contracts next year is

Westbrook/Clemons
    Harden/bmac
    Ego/house
    Roco/
    Tucker/hart

With cap hold on caboclo and rivers with a player option. So we have potentially

Wb/rivers/Clemons
    Harden/bmac
    Ego/house
    Roco
    Tucker/caboclo/hartenstein

My first move would be to sign waiters to a veterans minimum(which would only be 1.5 million on our cap). I feel he’s very underrated for multiple reasons. One whil he stands at 6’3” he has a 6’8” wingspan. He can be a disruptive force on d. Has had a good dws rating in the past. He also knocks down the three at 37% on 6 attempts. Besides that he has experience with Wb. He could slot in to our backup 2 guard if rivers stays or ideally our backup 1 if rivers leaves. Having bmac and dion as backups would allow harden and westy to always have a backcourt partner who can hit high volume 3s at a great clip. It also frees us up for the next trade.

I would then flip ego, Clemons, hartenstein, and our pick to Orlando who sends Aron Gordon to suns for us to get Kelly oubre junior. I’d target Kelly since he is friends with harden. Has a 7’ 4” wingspan. Hitting 36% on 3 and making 2 million less than egordon. I think the magic go for it since they want bamba and Isaac manning the front court with aminu as a backup and whatever they get for vucevic. Gordon would give them a dynamite scorer and 3 point sharpshooter to pair with Markelle. Phoenix is on the last year of his deal and covet Aron Gordon. They should give draft capital as well.

With a full nt-mle or to-mle we can target another lanky swing who can hit the 3. My ideal candidate is Christian wood. The man is killing it for the pistons. I’d give all 9.75 million for him and slot him at our center. Sadly I don’t see the pistons (40 million in cap) or some other team letting him go. If pistons do not let him go I’d make some backchannels to jamychal that we’d give him a long term nt-mle at 3-4 years. LAC may be cool with letting him go since they have Morris’s non bird montrezls bird to sign and kabengele as a replacement player. If you’re able to get jamychal and not wood you’d have enough to resign rivers to the bae and Carroll to a vet min. Our team would hopefully look like.

Wb/waiters
    Harden/bmac
    Covington/house
    Oubre/tucker
    Wood/caboclo

Or

Wb/rivers
    Harden/waiters/bmac
    Oubre/Carroll
    roco/house
    Tucker/jamychal/caboclo

D-rock and ilias like this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think those moves establish the identity the Rox want. Everyone in that lineup can switch and contain on the perimeter or bang in the post or deflect all passes. Everyone can shoot above 35% in both iterations except Wb. Who would feast with that much space. I hope the team takes advantage of the wiggle room below the tax they have now

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another shooter/scorer like Waiters or Tyler Johnson is imperative especially if Rivers not retained and if EGo packaged for trade next season.

Oubre is excellent trade target but his wingspan is 7'2.25" and not 7'4".

And Wood will be tough get, especially for just MLE.

But your analysis of getting longer and thicc-er is spot IMO.

9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

agreed on wood. He is playing out of his mind that Detroit would be foolish to let him go. But the NTMLE will be around 9 million. If we offer that at max raises for four years maybe we make Detroit blink before committing to him. If we can’t get him which I don’t think we will I’d settle for splitting the 9 million between jam green another lanky 3 point shooter and another guy at 3 mill. I think waiters is paramount though. He gives us a good option not highly valued that replaces egos production at an eighth of the cost. Seriously check the wingspan dws and 3 pointer on him for the last couple years.

D-rock likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wonder if they might yet pursue a big who more fits into the system here than Capela. Eric Gordon isn’t needed in Indiana currently; they seem to have plenty of shooting guards (and an excellent one in Oladipo). But wouldn’t Miles Turner at 30 mpg be good? He boards, blocks shots, and can shoot the three (even if 34% isn’t fant-a bulbous).

The Rockets did try to deal for bigs at the deadline, although they seemed more the run-and-dunk, don’t-get-$15,000,000 per-season types.

11. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

We can sign dmo, I think he will join this time if no other center wants to join. The final method is to upgrade other positions such as forward position. I think our forward will have chances to get injury such as Eric Gordon. As we still can use Tyson or Harkinstein to play for 5 to 10 mins.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think it is too outlandish to target Kelly Oubre in the offseason. The Suns were shopping him. Why? He is getting ready to hit FA after next season and apparently they don't want to commit big money to him. So, they are looking to move him, but for good assets. Interestingly, Gordon's cap number is right in line with Oubre. And Gordon is locked in. Suns could be looking for VETS to help they get to the playoffs.

Gordon + FRP for Oubre? I think that could get it done.

The key though, is the Rockets HAVE to resign Oubre if they are giving up assets. Will Tilman sign off on that? I don't know.

But a lineup of
    Westbrook
    Harden
    Oubre
    Covington
    Tucker

....that looks deadly.

13. Sanity2disChaos

that’s sexy right there. Take tucker out and replace him with any player we currently have or can get and I’m still good with this. How I hope this could be!

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Unless Bruno explodes, there is no player currently on this aging roster who is even close to being better than Tucker.

But I agree, Tucker is best on fewer minutes.

Corrosion and Sanity2disChaos like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How many guys in the league could replace Tucker on this team ?

Donkey .... errr Draymond and that's about it ?

D-rock likes this.
  16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

that’s exactly the route I’m hoping the rox take. Especially if they can get waiters to replace Gordon’s role. He’s as talented defensively and hits the three at a deadly clip. You pair oubre Covington and tucker together you have your core 3 wings locked in with the full mle to go after another guy like wood or JaMychal green to round out the roster.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd take Kawhi or Durant over Donkey.

AD too.

Lebron.

Zion.

Brandon Clarke.

Jaren Jackson.

Aaron Gordon.

Just off top of my head.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dion Waiters heavily rumored to be Lakers bound.

https://www.chatsports.com/nba/a/nb...dy-hield-trade-gordon-hayward-extension-41272

19. rockets13champs

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How many of them effectively replace Tucker ?