1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Capela - how will it affect Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 12, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I realize we traded him to unleash the full Russ, but I wonder how Harden's play will adjust. He really had a great chemistry on his drives to the hoop with Clint, and would throw it up there when they closed him down.

It will be interesting to compare the stats he had with Clint vs without.

Hopefully it will be a positive and Harden will get even better, but I suspect his assists to go down without 3-4 lob dunks during a game.

DD

tinman and FrontRunner like this.
  2. jboslett

jboslett Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wins is all that matters.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the trade was for westbrook, but it will really be about harden.

particularly how harden adjusts his game without having a big man to cheese 5-10 PnR buckets a game. will be a true testament to harden's greatness if he can adapt and get back to league leader assist / efficiency king harden.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

That 42 he put on the Celtics last night suggest he'll be okay.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I expect Harden to be Harden. We had CP3, Dwight, JLin, Chandler P, Faried, Melo, Jimmy Butler, GGreen, DMo, Capela... He still has MVP numbers and putting Rockets in the playoffs year in and year out. With, or without D'Antoni. With, or without Tillman, he will still be rocking it.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

counting stats don't matter. I couldn't careless if his numbers go down and neither should he, so long as the rockets are winning.

bj3175, HP3 and harold bingo like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden will jack up more threes
    No risk for Russ chucking them up cause he is freed up to drive in the lane

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Why do I get this feeling this thread idea started with a more way more negative tone as in Morey doesn't value chemistry and Harden lost a friend...perhaps the DD effect. Sorry.

D-rock and Fyreball like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harden seemed to have already began to trend away from those constant PnR's of 2-3 years ago in favor of space out on the perimeter. Capela was still a great clean-up guy on Harden drives. But the damage it does to Harden doesn't compare to the advantage it gives Russ. Harden will be fine. It's the rebounding and talent issues that will hurt us.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure it will be better for him offensively...

... but from eye test so far it at least seems like defensively he's acutely aware there is no Clint back there to clean up his defensive failings, or to blame. Eye test he and the rest of the team seem to be better defensively just from scrambling/effort.

13. alethios

alethios Member

Harden: "we'll make it work, hahahaha..."

D-rock likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ultimately, it really is. Sure, we are all (well, most of us) heavily invested in the players on our team, the front office, and we even care about the owner, at least what he does or doesn't do. We want them to have good health, a good personal life, and we're interested in that. Things as mundane as our GM, Daryl Morey, growing a beard, or as fascinating (at least to me) as Daryl being very interested in theatre, exhibited through his involvement with our fellow member @Batman Jones and his Catastrophic Theatre in Houston, where Batman spends so much of his time in his "real" life. What James Harden does at night, or if Coach Mike D'Antoni's lovely wife will ever let him grow back his mustache.

Yet when you really drill down into the Rockets, wins are what it's all about.

D-rock and DaDakota like this.
  15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I saw some Russ-and-James PnR action, I think last night, that looked intriguing. On the theme of Russ replacing a lot of what Clint could do ... why not that?

tycoonchip, D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is accurate.

Pick and roll plays per game with Harden as the ball handler...And it’s safe to assume CC wasn’t the roller for every one of these

19/20 : 6.4
    18/19 : 7.4
    17/18 : 10.2
    16/17 : 11.7

And it’s had a very favorable result for him turnover wise

turnover%

19/20 : 13.6(best as a Rocket)
    18/19 : 14.5
    17/18 : 15.1
    16/17 : 19.5

He personally won’t miss CC that much.

#16 jordnnnn, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is how your inner voice reads things, I am generally curious about how the effective PnR game between Hardena and Capela being gone will effect James.

Seems that he will have more room driving, but he really took it to teams that came over to close down with that lob pass.

DD

18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He also PnRd with RoCo and killed their double teams.

D-rock likes this.
  19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Harden's arsenal on offense is what made him so dangerous. HIs ability to get to the basket caused defenses stay on their toes.

Harden drives and either gets fouled, a layup/dunk, a lob, or a kickout to the wide-open perimeter. It was read option for days. Of course, he could also hit from the three. Taking away Capela actually takes away something defenses have to worry about when Harden drives. Now they can just stay home on the perimeter and make Harden make a contested layup. Defenses can also throw off timing with delayed doubles, they can over rotate to the corners and send help, etc. It doesn't help that Harden hasn't been getting the whistle he's been getting the past few years.

To me, that's why the Harden's been struggling. He's gonna need to find a way to adjust. In my opinion, Harden should bring back the stop and pop, mid-range elbow jumper. Defenses are collapsing late on him at the basket with some success. That's because they know he has to lay it up. Good teams will over rotate to cover the corners right away because that's the only other option.

No more Clint means they don't have to worry about the lob. Aside from bringing back stop and pop mid-range for Harden, a nice wrinkle in the offense is to have the corner cut for a lob like House did against Mitchell. This requires the corner man to read how they're playing the corner, and it requires Harden to know if the corner man is staying put or cutting. I think it's easy though. If Harden sees the corner defenders back, kick it out (relative to space obviously). If he sees the corner defender's facing the rim, that should be the cue for the corner man to cut to the rim.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

affect

D-rock likes this.