1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Should have but it is what it is.

Keep improving where possible, this roster is not set yet.

DeBeards and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. amaru

amaru Member

We might end up with a fringe wing player. No buyout centers will come here unless they are truly desperate. Buyout players want to show they still have nba talent so they need a chance at consistent minutes. The only consistent minutes for a center on this roster are on the pine.

4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Wings on the other hand........

amaru and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

So MKG has agreed to play for Dallas Mavs?

Sign Bolden and go hard for Harkless.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i thought about this very possibility the past few days and i actually wouldn't put it at zero percent. after depleting the coaching/training/scouting teams, making westbrook spread out his paychecks, and salary dumping at every opportunity i'm not gonna assume anything at this point. also seems like harden might have some lingering injury, perhaps something that needs a procedure in the offseason. that possibility plus the obvious difference in zebra treatment the past 2 months... seems like for some reason the front office is not all in this season.

joshuaao, BallaDoc, treyk3 and 2 others like this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Long, athletic wings (especially those that can shoot) will get plenty of minutes here. Unfortunately those type of players don’t generally get bought out. We’ll see what happens.

D-rock likes this.
  8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Man !!!Bender and Bolden could really play on this team

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Not getting my hopes up anymore.

Expecting a strike out, anything else is gravy.

amaru likes this.
  10. rockets13champs

11. rockets13champs

He is assuming he is not an insider

Nook and D-rock like this.
  12. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of MKG.

D-rock likes this.
  13. pst257

pst257 Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy told me something years ago how some owners have no intentions of trying to win, and to look at the game just as entertainment only. Tillman is one of those owners that only want to put a good product on the floor to sell tickets! We had a better team last year, and Morey and Tillman choose not to add any buy- out players last year of value for the sake of staying under the luxury tax.

#573 pst257, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would still take him.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still a chance!!

But Lakers and Blazers have eye on him too.

16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

MKG isn’t a good 3 pt shooter and we just signed Covington. I’d rather go with a young promising player like Bolden that can play defense at the 4 and 5, and step outside to know down a jumper. He’s fairly athletic so I’d be curious to see how he can play off of Harden and Westbrook. Harkless can play the 4 and plays defense so it’s a no brainer to go after him if he’s available

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

MKG ain't that dude. Everyone clamoring for him would get so frustrated with the amount of open looks he'd clang. Marvin Williams, OTOH, might have been someone we could have used. Although from what some people are saying, he's a shell of his former self now. Buyout candidates basically are what they are.....fringe guys who teams don't see a long-term role for. Most teams don't rely on buyouts to be the difference between a deep playoff run, and a first round exit.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

I’d put that on Tilman and not Morey. Morey typically brings in at least 1 buyout player if possible.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  19. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

In Harden only lineups, yes. Those highlights showed MKG in the dunker spot and didn’t look great.

amaru, joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets could have gotten Marvin Williams, they would have but no he isn't the same player. He can shoot but he really isn't an adequate defender any more.

As for MKG, he is a different scenario. The Rockets would use him vastly different than how he has been used most of his career. They used him at PF last year and had some degree of success with him. He had some issues playing next to a traditional center though.

On the Rockets all he would be asked to do if defend (primarily inside), get stray rebounds and hit corner 3's. He actually worked hard on his middle range shot and it improved but he wouldn't be using that. I would like the Rockets to add him and see what happens. He is certainly strong enough and long enough to defend the 4 or 5 for the Rockets. If he can hit the corner 3 he could play next to Covington.