1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WSJ: The Origins of the Houston Astros Cheating Scheme

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by topfive, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jeremy Williams

Exactly.

raining threes likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I feel bad for Hinch. Not so much for Luhnow.

topfive, gatsby and texans1095 like this.
  3. Jeremy Williams

You shouldn't. As much as Hinch is willing to take the high road, don't believe for one second that he wasn't fully on board with the philosophy.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Didn’t see a thread on it, but Verducci did not impress me with his interview questions. Didn’t ask many hard hitting questions, mostly just tried to guilt trip Hinch over and over.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Jeremy Williams

I don't buy it. This philosophy is much more pervasive than that. We didn't just come out of 2 decades of steroids and happen upon a few isolated teams using technology to cheat.

7. Buck Turgidson

What a bunch of melodramatic horsesh!t

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Is thus supposed to be surprising?

Every good team in baseball is doing something like this in the video room. Anybody that thinks their team doesn't is an idiot.

Actively relaying signs to the hitter is where we crossed the line. Do other teams do this as well.. possibly, but everybody is for sure trying to steal signs.

Anybody pretending to be outraged by this is a tool.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Luhnow is done in baseball.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Werent you the one talking **** about Crane because he fired Luhnow? Where are all the idiots on this forum talking **** about Crane and how shitty of an owner he was? I for one am proud that we have an owner with a real backbone. He did the right thing by clearing house.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. elrond

elrond Member

Can't say I'm particularly surprised. From the Taubman incident to the sign stealing incident, I don't think I've ever seen examples of Luhnow showing actual contrition. It's always more about deniability or someone else's fault. At no point has he shown an ability to take responsibility for his or his organization's actions.

Hinch at least comes off as believable. His actions like breaking the monitor, although not enough, show that he clearly wasn't on board with things. He was also the first Astros rep with a good response to the whole Taubman thing as well. He's either just a much better dude (my belief), or much better at answering media questions.

12. AstrosRockets1818

I met AJ at the Rockets game in November of 2016. I’m pretty sure it was the day we agreed with Reddick and the McCann deal. He was the nicest dude in the world and continued conversation. I think Trout had just won the MVP over Altuve and Hinch was pissed ...and said Jose Altuve is the best player in the World!!!

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  13. raining threes

You're kidding yourself ifyou think Luhno's not a leader. He's a great leader, you just dont like the type of leadership that will do anything to give his team its best chance to win.

I personally love this type of leadership. Kiss the Ring

14. raining threes

I love the fact that Osuna's on the team. You got a problem with this?

This is where all of this started.

15. raining threes

Yep,

Some on here are holier than thou.

16. raining threes

Exactly

17. raining threes

How's Sunday school class?

18. CrazyJoeDavola

At this point, I wish they would just tear it all down and start all over. Everything and everyone.

I had much more fun watching this team lose 100 games than i will watching them next year.

19. Jeremy Williams

Crane is doing what he had to do. You think the owner of the organization had no clue about the dark arts? This is a business, after call. Comon.

20. Jeremy Williams

Again, there is no contrition because he fundamentally believes in what he was doing.