1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Jordan Bell for Memphis Bruno Caboclo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Feb 6, 2020.

1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

To be fair, they are legendaries...

roslolian likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hartenstein is chopped liver or what? Dude only had 15 and 8 the last time he got more than 10 mins a night

napalm06 likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think Hartenstein can be a 12 amd 10 guy if given the chance. We might better off than some folks think. The trade really balances the Rockets salary structure. They can actually play all of their big money guys at the same time.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Last year Caboclo was a 37% 3 point shooter taking 4 per game and was 84% at the line. Bell doesn’t shoot any 3’s literally none and 53% at the line. Terrible shooter. Caboclo fits the description of a small ball center that helps spread the floor. He can block shots and switches well and messes up the PnR lanes. This was a great trade actually.

5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

id like it more if he was actually healthy. as of now this trade doesnt look good at all.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Lets hope he gets healthy. His length helps him block shots, and has ability to knock down 3's. He could be a good center maybe behind tucker if he fits in.

Poonwalker likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Rockets have been trying to trade for him for about a year. They regretted letting him go. I think it's going to look great. They know his injury status, it's a bruised knee and probably a slightly bruised ego. I mean it's not hard to fall behind in a rotation with Jonas, JJJ and Brandon Clarke playing so well. It's all about being in the right situation at the right time. This may be it for Bruno, if he doesn't shine for an extended period of time, he may never get another shot and definitely not one as good as this. The Center position is essentially his to earn. No one on this roster can do what he does.

While I hope he shines, which isn't a given, I also hope he doesn't outplay what Tilman will pay him this summer. I think he can fit in and be a 20 MPG center so that we can have some variance and throw different stuff at teams. He's an inch shorter than Capela and two inches longer than Capela. He has instincts to be a rim protector. All of these haters have been saying what Capela does can be done by anyone in this system, I do not believe this to be true but Caboclo will hopefully make this narrative return. Has anyone noticed how much better Capela got to the media now that we don't have him? And how much worse RoCo got? Let's hope this under the radar move is the ultimate move, it may be Morey's swan song.

I know it's FIBA but I watched Capela every minute of every single game in his tournament and he actually looked worse playing around scrubs than he did in Houston. Players don't magically change into a different human because it's not NBA talent. The ability is there. I just hope he can put it together.

Here is a reminder of how he looked in limited minutes against the Rockets this season.

edit another video I found of how he looked last year against the Rockets in a 1 Point Rockets loss where he played a career high 40 minutes.

edit again here is a video of Bruno clearly outshining former Rocket, Jordan Bell. Bruno is younger, taller, longer and a better shooter than Bell. Clear upgrade.

#267 treyk3, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Scarface, Little Bit, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I don't doubt he is an upgrade over bell. This kid might not be ready to contribute to a contender for a year or two is my problem. We don't have a lot of time.

9. xaos

xaos Member

Has it been a few years? Last time we had him he was a few years away from being a few years away

saleem likes this.
  10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I will gladly eat crow but bruno caboclo is the epitome of a career scrub

saleem likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's either ready now or he's never going to be ready. This is his shot.

12. ballgame

ballgame Member

What's the status on Bruno? Will he join the team tonight?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He started regressing and played soft soon after that Rockets game. The Grizzlies lost confidence in him.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No this isn't true.

They never had confidence in him.

He was just thrust into the lineup because of an injury. He only played over 15 minutes twice in the season. Once was against us and the other was against Minnesota over a month later. He fared very well in that game even though his shot wasn't falling he was +3 in the box score and the team won by 8. This clip below shows him struggling on almost everything but he still managed to be a net positive. The clip also shows him hustling on almost everything. Notice how his play improved as the game went on? It's about finding a groove for a guy who hasn't be afforded one except for the end of last season when he went on a tear. He may never find his groove but there is a chance.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cabocbr01/gamelog/2020

The ability is there like my post specifically says. The fact of the matter is that he A) need an opportunity B) needs to capitalize on it.

No one is going to convince me otherwise, I've watched more footage on this guy over the past two days than probably most people outside of scouts and Grizzly fans have in the past year. It's incredibly easy to say he's going to be a bust right now because it sure as hell looks to be the case. It's a lot more fun to root for him to break out and tell the haters they were wrong if he becomes a rotational player.

edit: in games where he played over 10 minutes (only 8) his overall +/- is +9 for an average of +1.125. The teams record is 2-6 in those games . The Grizzlies are outscored by 43 points total in those games for an average of -5.375 in those games. The Grizzlies got better because Brandon Clarke and Ja Morant started playing like future stars not because Bruno got injured like some would have you believe.

#275 treyk3, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    D-rock and saleem like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gotta trust the math!!

Grat write up @treyk3 !!