1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can a great centre and a scoring point guard win it all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by capesbre, Mar 18, 2004.

1. capesbre

capesbre Member

Just tried to think if there has been a precedent of a point guard averaging less than 8 assists and scoring more than 17 points consistently winning when paired with a great centre.
    I can't think of any in recent history.
    Magic and Kareem co-existed but Magic was always pass first.
    I just don't think it is possible for a PG that looks for his offence first instinctively to co-exist with a power player that needs to be fed the ball.

BC
    Melbourne

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

the Lakers in the 80's maybe. There really werent that many PGs who put up good points production in their career so its hard to judge

3. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Maybe not a precedent but a future in LeBron James (okay so he could play a 2 or 3 as well) and Z..

4. capesbre

capesbre Member

I consider LeBron to be a pass first guy. He seems to make the extra pass as often as possible. Certainly more than Steve.

5. birat

birat Member

Not to mention bad turnovers that kills team morale.

6. Sane

Sane Member

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

But Parker wasn't the clear second option, Robinson and Ginobili both helped BIG time.

7. titaniumws

titaniumws Member

I remember Tony Parker got benched alot too!

8. crazy_script

crazy_script Member

The point is IF THE PG ENJOY THE PASS...
    seems steve does not enjoy it. :(
    Even he is doing the pass,he seems it as a sacrifice .

9. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

What did Sam Cassel average with us?

10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

although robertson was more of a point forward, him and that no name alcindor guy were pretty good, made one of the best 1-2 punches ever

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Magic and James are alot taller and bigger then Steve too. Sam Cassell wasn't the big scorer he is now when he played for the Rockets. Tony Parker and Tim Duncan is the best example I can think of. But even Parker knew he had to go threw Duncan to win it all.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're looking at a pretty small dataset. You only have 50 something examples to look at in total. And, considering that assist averages have been declining league-wide for the past decade, you probably won't find many PGs before the '90s averaging under 8 -- even though there are many right now. I'd also say Francis' particular position is a minor point (since there have been plenty of title teams with great shooting guards and a sub-6 assist scrub at point guard -- the net effect being still lots of points but few assists from the backcourt). I think the better question is: when has a great low-post center and slashing guard won a championship together? And, I think we can come up with quite a few examples of that.

13. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

he has better court vision - and is a real PG (abiet a taller one) that has been converted to a SG... SF3 is a SG converted to a PG

as for this combo winning championships.... with the Lakers, Bulls, and Celtics dominating for so long - it is hard to find, but if you look at finals teams in general...

there is the Rockets of 1995 and Lakers of late (those are SG and a Center combos) also, the Suns went to the finals with KJ at the point and Barkley as a post scorer - same can be said for the Jazz (stockton and malone). Bill Lambere and THomas were a Center/Point Guard combo that won too (although Lambere was not a post player)

bottom line - I believe that there is NO EXACT formula for winning it all - if there was then there would be 29 teams with identical makeups. The trick is putting the 2-3 great players together in a way the gels, and surround them with good players (Like Rodman or AC Green) then just plug the gaps with skilled role players (defense stoppers, and backup PGs)

I think the Rox are trying to do that - and we are being impatient. If they were in the East they would be talking about this team in the conference finals

I believe the goal was to make the play-off this year and make some "noise" - next year people need to freak if they can't make headway with the reorg-ed NBA conferences

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No! And thats only part of the Problem!