1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

When did you realize you were OFFICIALLY old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SleepyRodriguez, Jun 26, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Dude, tell me about it.... l'm 6'6" and could dunk the ball when I was playing school ball (unfortunately I never took it as seriously as watching sports etc but was in decent game shape back then). Anyway after high school ball, I stopped playing for like 5-6 years, then decided to play (so this was roughly 10 years ago now), while I was certainly stronger vs high school days, my ups were trash and... After a few games one day had a freak accident and dislocated my ankle! I don't think I've played pickup since, but have been getting the bug lately... I'm late 30s and def not in playing shape atm but would like to have one last go after getting in bball shape, the dude I was guarding that day was good no doubt, but I still had some lateral movement, now though I'm sure that's gone too...

The accident occurred so garbage like, basically landed from a jump wrong and instead of just a normal "that's going to hurt type sprain", the ankle completely slipped out and stuck that way, no broken bones but took 6+ months of physical therapy due to tearing all the ligaments. I basically caused the issue not wearing my normal bball shoes that day and... It was the ankle I'd always sprain growing up playing ball.

Anyway, I'm hoping on playing a bit more but not really looking forward to people raining 3s... I wasn't even thinking about that. Oh well, I'd like to go out playing than that basically be the last game. I've still played a bit, just not pickup

tmoney1101 and OmegaSupreme like this.
  2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm not there yet, but the ultimate signal is when you need to use the railing to walk up or down the stairs. I purposefully do not ever grab it (also, in NYC, so sh!ts always sticky or wet for some reason)

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

May look into it. Without a doubt, there's bound to be a league or two here in LA. Ego and competitive spirit are tough to battle, but it may just be time to let go. Yesterday was just bad. Ran into the wrong kid on the court after lifting heavy for a hour and a half.

Sounds like your friend enjoys the hell out of it, but those injuries/surgeries... geez. Have a friend here with knee issues and is also a tennis player. He's lost some weight and is considering having at it again. The stopping and going and quick changes in direction in both sports just aren't good long-term.

Will update if I go the league route.

Yikes at that injury. It's the main reason why I'm considering stopping altogether. It's just hard to say no when they need that extra person on the court.

I'm 6'1" and can still dunk also, but the extra 40 pounds since I've started lifting (along with being officially over the hill) makes it difficult.

And yes, the threes come from everywhere now. You pretty much have to respect everyone's j, so that combined with no lateral quickness is rough. With your height you could post'em up all day though. Have fun, but be careful man. Father time is undefeated.

CCity Zero and Deckard like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My significant other gave me a hand carved wooden 7 day “pill box” for my birthday a few days ago. It looks more like an over large breadstick made out of a combination of unusual woods (not PC, but it’s beautiful), and there’s a magnet inside somewhere that pulls the wooden top shut when you start to close it. My pills fill up each day’s space, but they all fit. Yeah, I used to find those things amusing. There are a couple of dozen different kinds of plastic ones on display at my pharmacy aimed at Boomers, no doubt. I don’t laugh at them any longer, but at least mine was made by a craftsman here in Austin.

Nook, boomboom and Chilly_Pete like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When I had to take off my glasses and put stuff close to my eyes to read it.

Yung-T, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This thread is therapy.

Recently, I was insulted and humored by my 18 year old daughter that scolded me for using my phone too slowly. She called me a Boomer.

At first I was taken back. I'm not a Boomer (actually Gen X)...so I proceeded to ask her what that meant. She had no clue what Boomer meant. I told her that before she insulted someone with an arbitrary name, she ought to know what that name actually means...because it might get her in trouble one day. She rolled her eyes and moved on.

Baby boomer...Gen X...who cares!!! Let's just burn this place to the ground and show those 2kers!

lulzcopter

don grahamleone and Deckard like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Pill Box" used to be a much more enjoyable place before I got old.

8. Buck Turgidson

This is so ****ing awesome. Yep.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. GIGO

GIGO Member

nearsighted?

not old[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]Old

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Old commercial references nobody remembers. Wait who watches commercials anymore.

Talking about SNL casts beyond 5 years ago.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Talking about SNL at all makes you old. Also realizing how much Jimmy Fallon sucks makes you old too.

12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I would be interested in the demographics of this site. Is anyone under 30 on a message board anymore?

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I don't know who the host of SNL is like half the time, and the musical guest like 80% of the time.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Many of us were in our 20s when we started on this BBS. I was 21 now 39. To your point yeah message boards seem like they would be more inhabited by us 30+ since we kind of grew up with them if you will.

Blatz and tmoney1101 like this.
  15. edwardc

edwardc Member

At what age would one be called old just a question.40 50 60

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In my early forties I found I'm no longer bulletproof.

Parathyroid problem (had a surgery).
    Testosterone problem (have to take medicine).

Movies I used to tolerate better I now don't bother to see in the theater. Most are disappointing.

Listening to most new music. Just sucks. Someone, somewhere, threw away all the electric guitars and drums.

Cultural references I make go sailing over people's heads.

Um, when I complain about drivers on their phones, 75% of the people hearing the story (always younger; I'm 51) look at me as if I'm the d**k.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Next year

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

When that 2 day hangover hit.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wish I could answer this question -- I truly want to help.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What the? People get annoyed when you express it is dumb to look at a phone while driving?

ugggghhhhhhhhhh