1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Andre Iguodala, Grizzlies reach agreement, he will not report to training camp

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 23, 2019.

1. what

what Member

Dillon Brooks is our new zbo. The dude don't give a f***. And he has confidence like Tony Allen.

malakas likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

They agreed he will not have to play in Memphis while the team worked on his trade.
    NOT to refuse to report with his new team.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know this?

I have not heard one report that he refused to report.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I mean didn't you read the Aldridge post that started this whole conversation yesterday?
    It has been posted in this thread about 5 times already.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's at the beginning of this thread.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This beef is funny. I'm enjoying it

7. JW86

JW86 Member

I might really follow the Grizzlies now, still hope they go back to Vancouver at some point!

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Grizzlies are 12-3 over their last 15, including wins over Den, Houston, Spurs, Clippers.

Thunder/Blazers also rolling. Interesting bottom of the playoff race in the west. I'm rooting for the Grizz.

roslolian and don grahamleone like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok I stand corrected, I have not read it.

My bad.:oops:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grizzlies Wanted To Set New Organizational Tone With Andre Iguodala Situation

The new front office of the Memphis Grizzlies wanted their situation with Andre Iguodala to set an organizational tone and that is why they've resisted buying him out, sources tell Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.

The Grizzlies have not moved from that position leading to a trade deadline in which they expect to receive an asset in return for Iguodala.

Buyouts have become common in the NBA, but the Grizzlies have opposed to paying 85 percent of Iguodala's salary only for him to play elsewhere.

Iguodala hasn't begrudged the Grizzlies for their position.

"It's never been, 'I don't want to be there,'" Iguodala said. "It's, 'Let's have the conversations in terms of what it looks like going forward. How can I be a value to you? How can you be a value to me? And then how can we make that happen?'"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28633740/andre-iguodala-knows-close-some-kind-ending

Buyouts have become a common solution for such situations, but the Grizzlies were steadfast in their opposition to paying out about 85% of Iguodala's salary for him to play elsewhere. Those with knowledge of Memphis' thinking say a small-market franchise with new front-office leadership wanted to set this kind of organizational tone:

We are not a feeder system for the league's glamour destinations. You don't build a championship culture by subsidizing teams you compete against on a nightly basis with talent -- and covering the tab. That's a doormat mentality that sends the wrong message to your players, coaches, front-office personnel, fans, ticket salespeople, sponsors, agents and broadcast partners.

Four months into the season, Memphis has not moved off that position.

The Grizzlies have a compelling case -- and so does Iguodala. A hard-bitten realist who appreciates that the NBA is a business, Iguodala didn't begrudge the Grizzlies being opportunistic. But there comes a point as a player when being an asset milked for every last ounce of value runs its course.

"It's never been, 'I don't want to be there,'" Iguodala says. "It's, 'Let's have the conversations in terms of what it looks like going forward. How can I be a value to you? How can you be a value to me? And then how can we make that happen?'"

The discussions never grew overly contentious, all sides say, though neither was getting precisely what it wanted. Both Iguodala and the Grizzlies agreed that Iguodala remaining in the Bay Area represented the most logical solution, however suboptimal. At the very least, not playing would mitigate any injury risk, and the Grizzlies would continue to look for a deal.

After a report materialized this week that Iguodala would sit out the rest of the season if not dealt to a preferred team, young Memphis wing Dillon Brooks said that he "can't wait" for the Grizzlies to find a way to extricate Iguodala from the roster. Guards Ja Morant and De'Anthony Melton took to social media to second Brooks' remark.

Yet, neither Iguodala nor the Grizzlies were ever under the impression Iguodala would report to Memphis. While the Grizzlies' prospects in the Western Conference playoff race might have changed, Iguodala's convictions have not.

"I think when the athlete takes control of his business, it's looked at differently than when a so-called businessman is running his business," Iguodala says. "A businessman says, 'I want to make this play, because this is what I'm trying to do,' and the response is, 'Oh, that is a very smart business transaction,' But when an athlete says, 'This is what I prefer to do,' the reaction is different."

Vivi and malakas like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When a business man makes a legal choice, people think that's OK. But when I choose not to honor a contract I signed willingly, people suddenly have an issue with it.

I truly hate NBA players attitudes. Just flat out refusing to honor a contract and expecting compensation doesn't happen in other sports, or anywhere. God knows if any of us demanded our salary but refused to go to work that wouldn't fly.

He could, you know, do the professional thing and help a young team trying to develop just like a far superior player in CP3 is doing. But no, he's gonna sit on his couch and complain like an entitled b**ch.

12. what

what Member

Damn straight

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Owners were not forced to agree on guaranteed contracts when they signed the previous CBA. If they are so concerned about players pulling the **** that Andre is pulling, maybe they should bargain harder in the next go around. You and I comparing our day to day jobs, with the way the NBA operates as a business is not an apples to apples comparison. If fans were truly annoyed, you'd boycott the product and hurt the NBAs bottomline, but lets face it, fans love to complain, but they still watch the games, buy merchandise, attend games, etc etc.

As fans, we have the power to make change, but we have to collectively come together and agree to boycott the product and hurt the league's bottom line, because that's what is ultimately all about and the reason players are making so much money and get guaranteed contracts.

It's no different than players being traded even though they didn't want to be traded.

YOLO likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's definitely not going to change. Not enough fans care about Memphis, and definitely not enough fans care about a name like Andre Iguodala. If this was a bigger name in a bigger market, maaaybe the needle will move. But this is such a non-issue to the casual NBA fan.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ironically when all this started, Iggy was like, "I'm too good for you. I'm not playing." Now the Grizz are like, "b****, stay your old ass at home. Oh yeah, and you can get ****ed in regards to that buyout."

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Iggy is like, "sure I'll stay at home and collect all this money to chill with my family. Memphis nothin' but a loud .500"...

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No doubt.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Doesnt want to honor his contract but wants full payout on a buyout.

A classless scumbag with no character.

roslolian and eyhab27 like this.
  20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

It’s crazy I remember back when we had our mediocre team we would try to figure out trades for iggy.