1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

State of the Union Thread 2.4.2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Feb 4, 2020.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

We live in a difficult time
    B-but

2. TheresTheDagger

You mean I'm not safe here? Oh dear.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Youre the one throwing the hissy fit my dude

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I alrrady admitted I needed my.liberal safe space...just admit you need yours for your party

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Mother****er Im just saying when people in my political party try to off ourselves...we do it solmenly.

When yours does;- conveniently - they kill a lot of innocent people.

Keep b****ing about being the victim; but I'm on the right side of history ****er.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes you are. What do you mean why she did doesn't interest you? Does ripping up papers automatically mean you're disrespecting a dead family?

You're attributing thoughts to an action, that's psychoanalyzing. You're saying she meant to disrespect dead families but unless you're in her head you can't confirm that. All we know is that she explained why she did it and she applauded those moments when they came.

Maybe you don't, but when I see GOP officials following his lead it sure seems like they need his cues.

Not what she said. I guess you know what's in her head better than her. Yep, Pelosi ripped up papers to disrespect dead families...you really think that was her thinking then and there? "Oh yea! I'm going to rip up this paper to spit on this woman's dead husband! HAHAHAHAH!"

The other thing...I don't care about her getting a pass or not, honestly, whatever. I'm just saying that Trump was disrespectful to her so she returned the disrespect. If the GOP is going to play politics this way then expect the other side to return in kind.

Okay, two things...

Trump has disrespected Pelosi OVER AND OVER again since becoming president. The fact that she has bitten back a few times is not excusing her behavior...it's just EXPECTED behavior from someone with a spine. Again, not everyone wants to bow to God Emperor Trump.

I don't understand how you took that as ME referring to you. Let's look at my first post...
    Obviously, you are not a HER and she used the word 'Unbecoming' which I was reacting to and contrasting there.

Also, I didn't know that on this forum the people we are talking about must also be in the conversation? I don't care for using Twitter so I responded to her Tweet there. I only dragged you in it and referred to you when you made that statement that SHE as the speaker of the house sets an example AFTER I said the president sets an example and I thought that was silly.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I will just say, I've spent a lot less time here recently as I do realize that most posters opposed to my political ideology...well I shouldn't say most...but there were some that were just pointless arguing with. I won't name them, I think most who lurk here know who they are (and were, they don't seem to be as active here anymore)

I don't think @TheresTheDagger one of those posters though. I'm not sure why he's all in a fuss about this, all I'm saying is Trump doesn't respect others so others won't respect him. I don't think he (Dagger) wants a civil war (although there were a few here that keep hinting at that) and he's really not extreme and I'd say he's more of a moderate and does get on Trump a lot more than others him and some other conservatives are alright to me. I try not to personally insult them, we just have a difference in opinion on how the country should be run.

I do think that there are posters that are worth engaging, even a few more far right than Dagger just because they sincerely offer their viewpoint and I like engaging with that for some reason...don't know why...

But you are right there in the bold. I'm really getting tired of being scolded for circle jerking and civility. I hate when people scold others when they make the same mistakes. It's like when Harden gets on someone for making a defensive mistake, it's like...dude, you set the example first and then you have a right to tell others how it should be done.

da_juice likes this.
  8. da_juice

da_juice Member

I dont wanma hear **** about incivility until half the vitrol towards blacks, Arabs, and the LGBT grts thrown towards them. Good ****ing god no one should have any of that thrown towards them but I dont wanna hear whining about Betsy Devos getting dinner when black ppl csnt walk around parts of GA without being called a N*gr

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I typically agree with yoy but this is a recurring trend Ive noticed:
    - keep arguing civility (even if the President doesnt follow it)
    -play up internal Dem differences (which I dont blame the GOP for)
    -Play the victim
    - Repeat endlessly

Im tired of hanging out with black people and being called a n*gger lover in parts of Virginia amd them be told to be civil to my friend who doesnt believe in gay marriage.

Its a one sided street for them

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

There is some serious Pelosi lovers in this thread. How sickening. I think we can all agree Trump tweets way to much and has lied some. But every single person in that office lies at some point because they just do. Whether it’s to get re-elected or something else. And if you believe the Washington Post (or any media for the matter) you live in a bubble of ignorance.

What Pelosi did in front of America tonight is disgraceful and how anyone can defend that is beyond me. She should have never been in that seat to begin with and the Dems continue to look like the childish party they are. It’s almost comical because they have spent the past 3 years trying to impeach Trump with hardly any basis for doing so and just embarrassed their party with this impeachment process. With the delay of delivering the articles by Pelosi to the childish behavior by her tonight, she’s buried their party into the mud and it may be a long time before they get out.

Roc Paint, TheresTheDagger and cml750 like this.
  11. nono

nono Member

Boo hoo

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He barely made it against that b**** Hillary...lol.

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I've been wishing Trump would do that but it'll never happen.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Trump's State of the Union was surprisingly conventional":

https://theweek.com/articles/893421/trumps-state-union-surprisingly-conventional

excerpt:

At any other time, perhaps a conventional State of the Union address would simply speak for itself. For this moment, though, it has a greater strategic value than just the normal efforts to push a legislative agenda. Trump's speech delivered a response to impeachment on a completely different level — and on the House Democrats' turf, no less.

Key to the impeachment push that has percolated for the last three years among Pelosi's caucus is the argument that Donald Trump is a dangerous man. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) argued in his closing to the Senate that Trump might be so emboldened by an acquittal to attempt to sell Alaska back to the Russians or let Jared Kushner declare war. Impeachment managers accused Trump of presumptions of dictatorship, pretensions to royalty, treason, bribery, and a host of other accusations of lack of control. They pressed the case even knowing that it had no chance at all of winning 67 votes for removal in order to underscore Trump's alleged abnormalcy and the danger he poses to the Republic.

Rather than fulfill those predictions with a rant on the House floor during the joint session, Trump's speech offers an answer of its own. Trump could have taken the bait and turned this speech into a rebuttal to the two weeks of argument that has been carried non-stop by television networks. Instead, Trump put his presidential mien on stage for this occasion, rising above that version of partisan bickering to focus more on the usual partisan bickering over policies that American voters want addressed. Look how normal I actually am, this speech and its delivery communicate to voters who tuned in expecting a Trumpian wrestling match or campaign rally.

Trump and the White House clearly have to hope that these same voters who watched both the trial and the State of the Union see the contrast between the man House Democrats have described and the one voters can see for themselves. If Trump can stick to this discipline, it will paint Schiff and his fellow managers as the actual agitators, the people who broke the norms to overturn an election to get rid of a president they just don't like.

Maintaining that discipline will be tough for Trump, whose natural impulse is to strike back against any criticism, but this strategy of focusing on embracing conventions may already be paying off. A new Gallup poll out this week shows Trump hitting the highest job approval mark of his presidency (49 percent) as he ramps up his election campaign. The GOP appears to be benefiting from this change too, as they are now viewed more favorably (51 percent) than at any time since April 2005. Democrats' favorability dropped slightly from 48 percent to 45 percent since September, before the impeachment effort began. And most significantly, registered voters are split 50/50 on whether Trump deserves re-election — a vast improvement from the 41/56 Trump got when Gallup last asked the question just prior to the 2018 midterms.

Trump will never be a completely conventional president, and his voters would be disappointed if he became one. All he needs to do to win re-election is to convince everyone else that he knows when to be conventional and when he can afford to be a strategic chaos agent. Trump succeeded in drawing that contrast to the accusations of House Democrats during his State of the Union, but he'll have to keep it up for the next nine months to make it stick.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This thread went downhill quick.

Nook, arkoe, Andre0087 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Didn't watch. First SOTU I haven't watched in I don't know how many years (30? 40?). trump's lies and politics of hate have so devalued the SOTU that its now meaningless and only a reflection of how broken government (and politics) is. Much like trump has devalued all institutions. Heck, if I was a previous presidential medal of freedom I would be insulted.

Quick takes, based only on the arguments made in this thread. Pelosi should have torn up the speech, no matter what trump said or did. That said, trump supporters snowflaking here by claiming she disrespected anyone other than trump are ridiculous. Instead, Pelosi should have waited until after the speech and then list off all the lies and despicable things trump said and did if she wanted. But I'd rather her have refocused on the differences between what trump says and does and what Democrats want to do.

18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

i got a tax cut and I’m not complaining about it. I’ll start to b**** when it gets taken back.

TheresTheDagger, cml750 and MiddleMan like this.
  19. nono

nono Member

Good for you.

B@ffled likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude you are talking about a president who threatens not to help California for severe wild fires because California is Democrat leaning. That's the type of vindictive ******* Trump is. We have never had a president as divisive as Trump who only see himself as the president of his base and not the president of all of America including those who don't like him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ull-federal-aid-california-wildfires-n1075866

What ****ing president does that during a time of crisis when American families are suffering just to score political points with his vindictive base?

da_juice likes this.