1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click is new GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dockerland, Feb 3, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

He is stepping into the big leagues here, with a lot more play money, but his experience is legit and the position shouldn’t be too big for him. Everyone’s ego took a hit this yea anyway. Should work.

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Finally some good news

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hope the team he's coming from represents his abilities as Rays tend to he very analytical.

4. conquistador#11

I like it, Bill.
    Just hoping he doesn't use Thanos or some other villain as his Twitter header image.

5. Nook

Nook Member

That is always the concern when someone that has never been the boss becomes the boss.

However, he was one of the three decision makers that emerged in Tampa.

He also has pre-existing relationships with some important voices in the Astros decision making like Kevin Goldstein.

He was involved with several of the Rays most important decisions over the last 5 years and is by all accounts very analytical.

FWIW he used to be a writer for Baseball Prospectus.

I asked about him and everything has been positive. The only negative I heard was that he doesn't have the edge to his personality like Luhnow.

6. Nook

Nook Member

To anyone that wants to know more about James Click, he wrote for baseball prospectus years ago and there is an inventory of his old articles..... that will give you a better idea.

He is very analytically motivated and big on defense.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/author/james_click/

mikol13 and Joe Joe like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re probably right, I still feel like that could bite us in the butt.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nice articles.

Though he's a history major instead of having a Ph.D in stats. All his work is suspect by some.

JeeberD likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

That is a fair point to bring up. I don't believe that Luhnow has a PHD in stats either.

Click will likely lean on other people...... I mostly just want a GM that will listen to and be open to different tools and Click will likely do that.

Luhnow's brilliance was in his ability to manage and structure the Astros........

itzIce likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. itzIce

itzIce Member

Appreciate the info, @Nook! Any word on if he plans to "clean" house and bring in his own people or keep Putila and the rest of the core that's already here?

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is the perfect hire on paper. The Astros dont need to turn over the entire front office, which a more experienced executive former GM type would want. They need someone with similar ideals as their own front office, which Click brings. He had been with the Rays for their success cycle so he definitely knows what hes doing.

I am assuming the new regime will be more collaborative and a melding of Click and current front office compared to Luhnows more authoritarian structure, but change isnt necessarily bad and the Astros can use some new ideas, especially to help them replenish the depleted farm

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Ph.D. thing is a reference to a post in the Bagwell thread that blanket disregards all analytical analysis conducted by people without Ph. D.'s in stats.

In a more serious side, for me, it is more about being open. One has to be able to discern what has merit and what doesn't. His articles speak to a rational way of trying to understand what various information means.

I liked the following excerpt: April results that don't fit the public perception are usually attributed to some change discovered by the media looking for the cause. A hot start by a hitter is attributed to a change in batting stance, weight, or physique. This year's example is Eric Hinske whose new stance is the easy answer to his hot start. With pitchers, learning or mastering a new pitch or changing the delivery are the easy answers for early success. Teams off to hot starts have new veteran leadership or youthful exuberance.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

No I haven't heard anything but I doubt he cleans house based on the comments Crane made.

Crane said that what Click does is similar to what the Astros already do, he will just bring an additional twist to it.

Some of the people in house may choose to leave over the next year, but I would be surprised if Click gets rid of them.

itzIce likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In early August 2017 most were calling for Luhnow’s ouster, saying he wasn’t a “wartime GM”, that he was great at rebuilding but not at putting the finishing touches on a champion. The Verlander (and subsequently Cole and Greinke) trades erased that talk, but I do think there’s some upside to bringing in a guy with a different (and historically successful) outlook on roster construction. Call it blind optimism, but I don’t think Click makes the Gomez/Fiers trade.

Im stoked.

16. Nook

Nook Member

We are on the same page.

I do not expect my GM to necessarily understand how to duplicate analytical data. I do however expect my GM to understand it well enough to notice if it is flawed (lacks certain variables) and to be reasonably open to all potential data and tools that help run an organization. The Astros are a big enough market to be capable of competing long term, but so are another 6-10 teams. So the Astros need to look for advantages where they can find them. It appears that Crane knows this as well.

Reading more into Click. It is obvious that we should not expect any large free agency signings but should expect smart smaller signings, early extensions and emphasis on scouting and player development and last....... smart trades.

I wonder, if the Rays struggle, will we see Charlie Morton in an Astros uniform.

Snake Diggit and texans1095 like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Best thing about Click is he has no ties to the McKinsey group.

Glad we got rid of 2 McKinsey slimeballs in Taubman and Lunhow

18. Nook

Nook Member

I would rather have Luhnow. IMO he is the best executive in baseball. However, since that is not possible - I do think that the Click signing is the best possible outcome. There were a few good front office executives associated with the Dodgers; but with their financial resources it is hard to know exactly how good they are. There were one or two possible hires with the Diamondbacks, but they have short track records.

Click was the best candidate. There are some questions about how much of the Rays success was from Chaim Bloom and how much was from Click.
    Bloom was far more hands on, trying to establish the culture around the Rays and he was involved in contract negotiations. Click was more quiet and subdued, but supposedly was instrumental in some of the international free agent decisions and trades made by the Rays.

itzIce, everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Listening to the press conference, he has a Luhnow vibe/tone to him. #FUTour2020

texans1095 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Astros general manager James Click: "Dusty is exactly the right guy at the right time to lead us on the field."

James Click: "My goal is to help us win this year, nothing less."

James Click: "I"m confident with the talent we have in the front office and talent we have on the field we will be competitive for years to come."

Click says of being days away from spring training and his manager is just a couple days ahead of him: “We have a lot to do and I’m looking forward to getting to work...”

James Click: "We want to make sure this is an employee-first culture."

Click on biggest challenge ahead: “Winning a championship is going to be on the front burner at all times...”

Jim Crane: "(Click) comes from a very progressive team that does a lot with a little. Hopefully now he can do a lot with a lot."

Dusty Baker: "The general manager-manager relationship is most important. That's a marriage. We're not always going to agree."

Dusty Baker said he's looking forward to the fact that James Click is younger than him.

'It gives me energy."

Click called Baker "a legend in the game."

James Click: "I couldn't be happier to be working with Dusty. He's a legend in the game."

James Click said his job during the 2019 postseason was to tour each ballpark the Rays played in with MLB officials to look at cameras/approved devices everywhere. That made Click "comfortable there was nothing going on" at Minute Maid Park during the 2019 postseason

itzIce, texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.