1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Minnesota seeking two first round picks for Covington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sogood., Feb 2, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's gone from being one of the most underrated players in the NBA to maybe the most overrated.

He's a great glue guy.

He has TERRIBLE HEALTH. Like really really bad injury history.

his shooting is down.

his lateral quickness is down.

Capela is a 4 star asset who is being valued like a 3 star asset.

Covington is a 3 star asset being valued like a 5 star asset.

Amel, Hakeemtheking, BigM and 3 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Definitely overrated around here and now I hear Woj Windhorst/Bobby Marks say there are red flags & (injury) concerns? I'm out.

Amel, Air Yordan and malakas like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

who's saying he's a 3rd option on this team? the top 3 options for the purpose of the rockets all lie in the backcourt. that isn't changing if covington is on this team.

What people are sick of are these min replacement attempts of getting a legit wing production that's been a void since ariza left. and it's a glaring hole

Amel, J Sizzle and BaselineFade like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I personally wouldn't say he's overrated, i know/understand how good of a defender he is (i was a day one fan when we got him undrafted and i'm still mad at Daryl for letting him go at the time), and on paper he fits really well here considering the hole we have in that spot, he fits because he's a really good defender, he's long, can shoot and rebounds well, he also doesn't need the ball in his ends so, all things considered yeah, he's perfect.

My only problem is when someone thinks getting Covignton will instantly solve the problems this team have defensively, that's not happening imo, a single player, for as good as he is, he can't transfor a bad defensive team into a champiosnhip caliber defensive team, especially if in order to get him you lose one of the few good defenders you have. But that's just me.

Amel, malakas, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

well yeah. but at the same time, there isn't a single player that would come in and solve any of the rockets problems.The thing is though, you still have to build and he would absolutely be considered a building piece who fills a huge need. a lot of people around here expect to hit home runs way too often, when in reality it doesn't happen.

6. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Covington will be Shumpert 2.0 on our team.

malakas and Realjad like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah exactly, there isn't that kind of player so, if we can't add talent where we need without losing it in another spot, the upgrade overall might not be worth it.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

well generally you have to give up something to get something. it all depends what fits and needs you're looking for

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't trust some of these sportswriters. Forgive my tin foil hat (forgot my oil can), but sometimes I wonder if teams pay them under the table (or, in Windhorst's case, put something a little extra on top of the table: "PIZZA! I love pizza!") to put disinformation out there. Marc Stein once had a Bat Phone connected to Mark Cuban: "Just talk up Dallas, what can it hurt? Here's a little something extra..."

J.R. likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, and what you end up moving so, we'll see, if we end up by swapping Capela and pick/s for Covington and a scrub like Len to replace him, imo it won't even be an overall upgrade.

Regardless, i always trust Morey so i won't panic, it's just that the situation overall...i don't know, between the moves we made and the moves we might make according to the rumors about Tilman...that's just isn't ideal so, i'm kinda worried.

#50 Vivi, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  11. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Am I wrong to think Covington is a smoke screen? I really think they are targeting another wing. I would put money on Temple and Allen for Capela.

malakas likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

2 FRP for Covington? Don’t cook some basic shrimp linguine and then charge me like it’s some signature dish made by 1 of the finest chefs in Italy. The way Covington is getting talked about, this dude’s addition must be an insta-chip.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Agreed. But the issue is not the product, but the demand there of it. RoCo is in a seller's market. Teams are willing to overpay to get him, or stop other teams from getting him. Hence the issue.

Houston would be better served getting a slightly worse player and praying to God their defense can find some sort of footing.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rob is one solid wing, but we probably need two...

Morris twins need to arrange some buyouts dammit.

15. malakas

malakas Member

I do not want either the Rockets or the Bucks to trade for this guy who is made of porcelain.
    The Mavs can have him.

16. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Rob always misses shots when I see him play. Don't see much difference between him and House tbh.

17. Greedydex

Greedydex Member

Wait until Rock gets here and start clanking 3s as usual lmaooo

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's not a tin foil hat conspiracy if it's literally the truth. Most of these guys allow themselves to be used like 2-bit whores because that's the only way they can break stories. If you're willing to misdirect and mislead, and basically allow a team to use you to publicly negotiate, then when it comes time to break real news, you're first in line for the real info. It's how they establish their relationships with GMs/ownership groups/player agents.

19. Greedydex

Greedydex Member

I'd gladly take Allen/ Harris and Chandler for Clint a player and a pick

20. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Me too, maybe I’m putting too much into what I saw from Covington in that playoff run 2 years ago. His shot looked too shaky but you could say that was his first time in the playoffs as an excuse.