1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason everyone hates us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 30, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

reffing a basketball game is admittedly actually very hard. there's always some reason to blow the whistle. I've tried - not at the nba level, but have tried. And then there's always people upset at you because there's always a reason you could call a whistle, but you don't always, yada, yada.

that said... with that knowledge in hand, my preference and approach if i was a ref would be one of slightly more tolerance. not say this exactly, but "hey, we're doing our best, you kind of stuck out your chest and initiated contact a bit there. if it was wrong in retrospect it was wrong, but it's a foul to me".

The real question i guess is how much warning did he give him. you don't just listen to your kid b**** and b**** and b**** quietly, only to explode. You ask them nicely to stop, give them fair warning, let them know what will happen, then enforce what you said will happen.

maybe he had already done that...

malakas and HP3 like this.
  2. Mr Chuck Norris

It’s probably because they have Gordon those same calls 2 nights ago when he scored 50 then turn around the next game and don’t get them

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

marc was having quite a few animated conversations with both sides before the T. EG just caught final blow of the ok enough with the complaining and omg's call

JayZ750 likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok.

I went back and looked at the full play and call again. It's still a pretty horrible T call. He called it immediately after EG did a hands on his head reaction which was a half second after the whistle was called.

While logically it's clear EG was frustrated with the foul call, in reality everything happened so fast that for all we know EG might have just been frustrated with himself for fouling. Look at it again... it's boom, boom, boom. No complaining even happened, really.

Basically what the tech said was you're not allowed to react at all on the court to anything... which is dumb.

dreamshakin, malakas, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That’s not the reason.
    Otherwise the NBA would ensure the warriors never, ever had fair officiating.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think the NBA hates us because of Les and the way we he and his associates dealt business. Anyone watch the recent Jerry West interview? He said it best when he said you can not lie to the players. We know of a few promises that were definitely broken in public. Compound that to our nagging on the court... welp...
    People wonder why it is hard for us to get a big name free agent?

cheke64 likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about the "few" broken promises. Apart from the Barkley fiasco, what others were there?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this game had a FT disparity of 17-3 at the half. 19-5 after 3 quarters. and marc davis is the biggest fuking dick in the zebra world, and of course one of silver's designated fixers.

dreamshakin, Nook and Blurr#7 like this.
  9. Remlap

Remlap Member

That was ludicrous. Mere body contact gets a whistle? NOTHING egregious about that.
    And he didn't even get in the ref's face. Automatic foul call and automatic T directly after.
    Like it was scripted before the play even started

DeBeards likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I saw Marc Davis yelling over D'Antoni and being pretty aggressive early in the game. 2nd quarter probably. He seems like he has a chip on his shoulder. And who can blame him? It can't be easy working for the appearance of objectivity and trying to push the league's latest agenda. You're going to get yelled at. :cool:

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lovable losers like the Texans? or hated winners like the Rockets/Astros?

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Other fan bases only hate our ref whining because we already have Harden and his flopping/ft narrative on our team.

If Harden wasn't on this team, no one would be b****ing about Houston Rockets whining about calls.

The funny thing is, we don't even shoot the most FTs as a team (I think?) but other teams that shoot more than us don't get criticized. This is solely a Harden negative narrative hate.

malakas likes this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

At some point he players need to hold the refs accountable for their garbage biased calls. But yeah EG does have a problem with his whining. EG will throw his hands up and complain before the ref's have a chance to react and call a foul. There has been many occasions where EG would get fouled and instantly throw his hands up and complain then like 1 second later the whistle comes not because of EG complaining but just the refs need a time to process.

Having said that that Marc Davis guy was a trash ref and should have to listen to EG complain all game as punishment for being worthless at his job.

14. dream2franchise

It's certainly felt as if the team has been getting the short end.

Interestingly, from the beginning of the season until Dec 3rd (The Spurs game), the Rockets led the league in Free Throw rate, at .330

Since that game, following the challenge by the Rox organisation? .252 (7th)

Free Throw attempts for the team up until Dec 3rd: First in the league (30.1)

Since the challenge: 4th in the league (25)

I'm willing to be Harden has experienced the same kind of dip. Could be something, could be nothing. Could be fair to assume that the officials have made things a little harder since that challenge was issued though. Will it ease up or is this the new normal?

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How about most recently with the Chris Paul fiasco. Telling him he was going to be here this season and then shipping him out. How about the countless vendors that apparently had to take Les to court in order to get a check. Remember when Clint Capella was annoyed at the amount of money he thought he would be resigning his contract too. As much as I love my team there are business practices that I do not agree with.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The tech was for excessive neck fat on a professional athlete not sure what y'all are watching.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

You act like complaining about fouls isn't something most NBA players do.