1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching Harden makes me...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jan 30, 2020.

1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

i stopped watching rockets after last post season failure, i believe our window is closed, in the playoffs, where u are supposed to outplay your regular season, u just can't lose to the warriors without KD like that, just can't, Harden is just not gonna make it, maybe he is not mentally tough enough, maybe he is not talented enough, who knows, but he will never be close to kobe, or lebron or any all time greats, his talent is much closer to Tmac although lots of people here seems to hate Tmac

Tato1971, mastan and DaDakota like this.
  2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You mean MeMac, right?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It could very well be that playing all of those minutes have started to catch up with Harden.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Thats not how that...works, can you name me someone who just declines like that outta nowhere? Like minutes catching up with him? Like I guess that affects your jump shot, but your handles? Your layups? Your passes? Thats not gonna just leave you like that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The more I watch Harden, the more I appreciate how much better he is than Kobe Bryant.

Also, the more I watch recently, the more I wish he would shut it down and get healthy.

Invisible Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Some of the youngin's might not remember this Kobe gem.
    https://www.complex.com/sports/2014/05/kobe-bryant-awol-game-7-against-suns
    Then don't forget he followed that up by essentially demanding a trade the next year.

As I said in another thread... this happens with stars/superstar. Even MJ. He doesn't get enough heat for up and quitting... twice.

That said, I'd still put Harden at this point in time not quite in that Kobe/MJ type of posturing. Plus they had lots more leash because they already had 3 rings each.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

You realize Kobe is maybe in the top 4 of all time backcourt defenders... while Harden is bad at defense?

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What more did you want from him last year?

Dude was a complete monster, while CP3 looked like Chris Duhon.

Blurr#7 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. lalala902102001

People quickly forget how bad Kobe looked after his injury. He shot 35% from the floor for his last season. For most players that would earn them a seat at the end of the bench but he was Kobe so he got to have his farewell tour and shoot as many as he liked.

Right now Harden is hurt. I would not judge him based on his current performance. He just needs to sit. If he refuses to do so the management/coaches need to force him to do so for he good of the team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. larsv8

Yes, I realize Kobe had a reputation of being a good defender.

I also know that outside of a few seasons, he was terrible and lived off reputation.

Top 4 all time backcourt defenders is downright laughable.

RIP

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

All I'm going to say is that if either a prime Kobe or prime tmac had an elite pg like Russ (or cp3) instead of the derek fishers and darrell armstrongs of the world, they would have flourished on BOTH ends. Harden seems to command a compromise of star guards joining him, due to his desire to bring the ball up and run the offense. Kobe, tmac, pierce, carter, etc., were players who COULD playmake but really more those who finished plays with buckets. Harden obviously can finish plays too, but he'd rather do it his way and bring the ball up and get doubled. Hence the age-old debate about bringing him "off-ball" which he still has never really done.

If anything, credit should go to Russ for figuring out a way to adjust his game multiple times and be efficient with his strengths during harden's slump.

Regardless, more than his terrible shooting, his lack of care for defense is what annoys me. Most times, guys don't even need to make a move to get by harden.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

He was good. No Raja Bell, but he was good.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Fixed

14. JayZ750

Admittedly, maybe not top 4. But he is second all time in all defense team selections. I get there is some overrating because of him being, well, Kobe, in LA... but he was a very good defender, who most importantly could lock down push come to shove when necessary. He was not terrible or anywhere close to it lol.

15. larsv8

Like most great wing defenders, he was great for a while, before they realize the human body simply can't tolerate 100% effort consistently and they have to take a measured approach, which, in the second half of his career, made him a mostly terrible defender who gave little effort.

16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

James Harden my favorite player of all time but he ain't better than Kobe Bean yet

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

As much as I love Harden, I cannot wait for this Era to end.

I have never been so stressed out and disappointed at any time in sports. Probably took years off my life watching him for 7 years

18. JayZ750

He made the all defense first team in 2010/11, at the age of 32 in like his 15th year. Made the second team his following year.

Again... noted, some media bias... but not to the extent the dude was terrible.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm not turning on Harden. whatever is wrong will get worked out. But it's clear that our roster as constructed is fundamentally unbalanced and Morey needs to do his job.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah Tilman needs to do his