1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Harden is not uncoachable - Harden is uncoached

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sam Cassell.

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Really?

Lol

Rocket River

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I like Sam, he's been on the bench a lot putting in the work (Asst to Rivers now I think?), was a high IQ player. I don't think he would be a bad choice and of course a Rockets Alumni.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Sure the ISO system was at its peak 2 yrs ago but the personal fit the system. Todays personal not so much. WE NEED TEAM BALL ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FLOOR!
    We cant ride Harden all year long.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. realonemo

realonemo Member

Harden plays the game like he he's Jamal Crawford. Like no dude you are James Freaking Harden. Act like a top 5 player that you are.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly he might get the job cause he might come cheap

Sh!tty as it sounds.

Rocket River

BHannes2BHonest and JayGoogle like this.
  7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

There aren't likely any coaches out there, who'll make a difference coaching the Rockets/Harden this season if they were... Lame ducks (nearly guaranteed to be fired after the season or perhaps before) and working for a penny pinching owners who likes to talk but not listen.

The nba is a players league. Every superstar has the ultimate power over the team/coach. If the superstar wants to be coached, he'll listen (like Lebron with Lue, Curry with Kerr/Jackson). If the superstar doesn't want to be coached, he'll simply do whatever the f*** he wants ( like Lebron with Brown/Blatt/Walton or Harden with Mchale, Shaq/SVG, Kobe/MDA, etc etc etc)

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

blahblehblah likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yea really. Harden's been given free reign to do what he wants. He got CP traded, Dwight traded & is rumored to be behind the Melo departure. Morey's the one that created that monster

cheke64 likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dude is in a massive funk.

11. Major

Major Member

Steve Nash was a coach on the floor - like a Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes or Magic Johnson. James Harden is ... not.

PDJACK7 and arabrocket like this.
  12. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I understand the math, but the step-back iso 3 is not as good of a shot as the assisted 3. The coach needs to tell Harden to drive, post-up, or initiate an actual play.

Again, I understand the math, but Russ has had a lot of success posting up. Our guards are bigger and stronger than most guards - it's advantage we waste by jacking up contested 3s.

Yes, I do understand the math, but shooting contested 3s has not proven to be the answer, at least not with this group of players. I don't know if it's Morey or Mike or some combination, but someone has to adjust this system.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

MDA has spent basically his entire coaching career creating and perfecting the 7 seconds offense. He’s used it everywhere he’s been (including here his first year, that was a fun year to watch). He even tried to use it when it clearly didn’t fit his team (think LA and New York).

I really have a hard time believing he woke up one day and decided it would be best if they did the complete opposite of that. I think somebody along the line ran the numbers and realized Harden ISO’s give the team the most points per possession and MDA (attempting to learn from his time in New York and LA) went along with it and now it has gotten out of hand.

HP3, arabrocket and realonemo like this.
  15. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Wow

16. realonemo

realonemo Member

100 % agree. He should let James iso but not to this degree.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I think that Harden is coachable. I believe that we should also keep in mind who Harden has become.

Harden's step back is being compared to the Sky Hook and the Dream Shake. His offensive #'s have put him the same conversation as Wilt and MJ. We aren't just talking about all stars or even hall of famers. We are talking about the best of the best. Players that belong on the basketball version of Mount Rushmore. When your PPP is the highest in NBA history I can understand having a bit of an ego.

There was a game last season where James struggled( I can't remember which game for the life of me) and a reporter asked James if he needed to change his shot selection. He quickly and defiantly answered "No! I ain't changing nothing". James usually keeps a pretty calm demeanor but this question struck a nerve. I understood because he has been widly successful playing his style. The #'s prove it. But I also understood at that moment that James now has to be "managed" as well as coached. He's entered a different stratosphere in NBA history so you have to be careful with how you communicate with him from a coaching standpoint.

Listen and watch D'Antoni try give his best answer regarding Hardens overall shot selection at the 1:44 mark.

MDA knows there is only so much that he can say. This is part of the reason why I have defended MDA. I don't agree with a lot of his decisions, but if there is anyone I trust to keep Harden happy it's MDA. I'm not ready to lose Harden. That's my #1 reason for wanting the Rockets to fix this roster and make another serious run at a title this season.

Harden is coachable but you better be careful with who you bring in next. A new system or a "stronger" voice could backfire. Harden's historic greatness may be both a gift and a curse in that way.

EDIT: Harden will seem much more coachable when he breaks out of this slump. He always bounces back.

#38 BaselineFade, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    HP3 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Tillman’s is cheap most of the moves or none trades he has t done have been to try to save some money. Those are facts, plus he had as much money as he paid for the Rockets.

anyway that’s not the point. I agree with you. Harden needs a better coach than what he had had. He needs also better and more reliable teammates that can create or at least shoot better. but yea We all know that McHale wasn’t a good coach and that JB wasn’t either but he was better than McHale. Now MDA just doesn’t care and he hasn’t made Harden accountable for his mistakes. If DHouse can get away with the way he is playing no wonder Harden can get away with anything. Like who in their right mind puts someone that is not defending well and shooting terribly out there for 20 or more minutes. And who doesn’t give a chance to Hartenstein even though Capela has been playing so soft.

WE need someone like Pop or a new coach. But also we need to bring some help for Russ and Harden

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Harden didnt quit on him. I ****ing hate revisionist history just to hate on James Harden. They should just rename Clutchfans to BlameHarden.com. Dude gets no credit for us doing good every year just **** on for us not having a ring. Others have had better coaches and more talent but for Harden even without having a super team weve been one of the more succcessful teams in the league since he's been here. But the idiots on here blame the most productive guy and give Morey and MDA a pass.

houtown and Rocket River like this.