1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Cal McNair MIA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 19, 2020.

1. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn’t want any attention which sometimes is cool. In this instance, it’s not. Fans and media want him gone and he should be.

3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Have no idea if it’s true or not, but I’ve heard talk around town that current ownership is merely biding time until the team is sold (hence no GM, O’Brien calling all the shots etc).

BMoney likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It’s not. NFL owners don’t sell the cash cow, unless they are forced to by the League (Panthers). Not applicable here.

5. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

How different is the NFL from the NBA, like when Alexander sold the Rockets? If the story is to be believed, the sale would take place after Mrs. McNair is out of the picture and stem from disagreements among the surviving family.

6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Was hoping he'd do things differently than his father, but he's been just as terrible so far.

This franchise could use new owners. Start over from the top. Easy to say, but there has to be some interest, right?

7. macho87

macho87 Member

He's been worse. Bob McNair wasn't the best owner in the league but at least he had structure. We have no GM. No vision for the future. He's letting bill obrien ruin it with short sighted moved to save his own ass. TAKE CONTROL OF THE FRANCHISE DAMMIT.

RasaqBoi and Blatz like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Here is the difference. NFL owners are ENTRENCHED. Go team by team. Look How long owners have been in place. You will find teams handed down thru the families, for the most part. Currently, some are run by trustee (dead owner) until the estate is settle with the children and the team is handed down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_owners (make sure u look at the legend below the chart).

In the last 30 years....only 6 NFL franchise have sold to someone outside the current family or to someone connected to the team by minority ownership. These owners want to keep teams in the family.

Unlike the MLB and NBA, where people usually invest in teams to make a profit, then sell.

Many of the owners of NFL team are from the community the team is in. That is not the case much of the in the NBA, and to a lesser extent, MLB.

There is no disagreement from the surviving family. Cal McNair is the heir after Janice McNair. Other family members have no involvement in the team. Bob McNair had a succession plan.

Texans are not being sold....anytime soon.

9. macho87

macho87 Member

If this is true it's for the best. IDK much about Cal but from what I'm seeing he seems in over his head as the leader of a football franchise. How can you give up this much power to a freaking mediocre coach. I'm just not understanding what he sees in O'Brien.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It's not true....lol.

One of the problem with the NFL ownership and its perceived social issues problem is that the ownerships are less progressive than other leagues. The reason is there is less turnover of ownership and you don't have Tech Billionaires (more progressive...usually) as an influx like in the NBA.

macho87 likes this.
  11. macho87

macho87 Member

I can only dream.

12. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

If you are right that there is no disagreement among the surviving family then you are most certainly correct that the entire premise about what would happen after Mrs. McNair passes goes out the window.

13. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

SNL did a skit years ago in which Melanie Hutsell played 90210 actress Tori Spelling stating the luxurious things she wanted in the moment to which her off camera powerful Hollywood producer father, Aaron Spelling, would reply “Absolutly Tori”. “Daddy, I want my own fragrance line”.......”Absolutely Tori.....”. “Daddy, I want diamonds”.....”Absolutely Tori”.... In my mind’s eye I often envision the relationship between Bill O’Brien and Cal McNair the same way. Typically, I envision McNair receiving a call from BoB sitting on his yacht, momentarily perturbed by the interruption of business before getting on with what he really wants to be doing

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Be careful what you wish for. The problem with changing owners doesn't mean the new person is "better". Rockets fans wanted to get rid of Les, well, now they REALLY hate Tillman. Why, because he is more of a bottom line guy. The reason many of these new owners buy teams is strictly to make money and get a ROI. Winning is nice, money is better. Owners like Steve Ballmer are rarer these days. Astros got lucky with Jim Crane after Drayton started looking at the bottom line only instead of winning.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesn't make sense. He's driving down the value

16. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

At this point I just have zero confidence that anyone is in charge at the top. It would help if we heard something, anything from the current ownership with their thoughts on the state of the franchise and where they are taking it.

17. Major

Major Member

LOL. This is the typical scarface attitude. We might get a worse coach than BoB, so let's keep the mediocre option!

the11mingdynasty and whag00 like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I wanted BoB fired at the end of the season. I just accepted he wasn't going to be.

Ownership is whole different situation.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The NFL needs to step in

It's not healthy to have one franchise be a dumpster fire

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

MIA... that explains the culture of this organization when it matters.