1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silverado front end damage, is it worth to repair?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Andre0087, Jan 8, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well give @CCity Zero credit. It was in his post, but it was a long post that you might not have gotten to!

Yung-T, CCity Zero and Andre0087 like this.
  2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That may work.

It looks expensive, but I have a guy, a buddy of mine near hobby airport if you're interested. My concern is what's damaged under the hood and below the underbody.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

i thought it was a DYI weekend fun project :) ,you're absolutely right but if if the labor/time was out of the concerns ,

1- primed fender 120$

2-hood bonnet : a body hummer

3- instruction on youtube

4- https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1998,c1500+pickup

I (the average skilled person) would be able to do it without a doubt in like ...2-3 years

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely, I agree with you, and you could definitely have something like this done a lot faster :)

With all the guides/videos/info out there if someone takes time on it, I think that's definitely another option for him. Like labor is what will eat up the bill fast, I know these guys need to make money but man.. Some of the rates I've seen people quoted are crazy. I know of some jobs that it makes sense on the labor, ie doing a headgasket on a front wheel drive car, but then I've seen other jobs where I know damn well it takes like an hour or two (if that) and they want $400+ in labor.

Like on this headgasket I was doing awhile ago, if you're new to doing this type of work I'd definitely advise learning a lot before even attempting taking it apart... Have to be really careful etc, everything marked on the timing chain/belt etc etc, but on a radiator though, there's really not much that can go wrong. Like if you do it wrong it's not over, you'll know quickly if you did everything (temperature/leaks etc) and then you immediately turn the vehicle off, on a headgasket though, everything has to be done by the book or its going to quickly become an engine replacement (like if it was being done on an interference engine etc.).

#24 CCity Zero, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I really hope you get a good price on the estimate. I understand about the sentimental value, and if you can get the title to the truck, even with a large price, you can still acquire the parts over time. Of course, that's my opinion.

I know you said you won't be doing the work yourself, but IF you are going to work on it yourself, make sure you have a good set of sockets, breaker bar, engine stands, a good jack, a small torch, cutting tool, and a torque wrench. Depending if there is engine damage, you may need some fuel line disconnects as well. Make sure you use the rights tools for the job.

If the damage is not too extensive and you fix this on your own, this would be a great tribute to your grandfather in that he has provided in some way a learning experience for you.

Hopefully the frame didn't bend and everything attached to the frame didn't shift. That bumper and crush zone are supposed to collapse to keep the forces of impact from affecting the passengers as much. There's really not to much underneath to worry about...oil pan, exhaust pipes, driveshaft, differential, tranny on mount...

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Falcons Talon

I was going crazy tracking down a "chirp" occuring on acceleration on my 2002 F150. Changed belt, replaced belt tensioner, checked all pulleys, replaced fan clutch, pulled the passenger valve covers to check for anything sticking and/or shavings...I came up with nothing and I was still getting the chirp. I broke out the stethoscope, listenend under the timing chain cover and still heard it, so naturally, I thought, timing belt tensioner. Broke down the front end and replaced the guide rails, chains, sprockets, tensioners, everything. After putting it all together, she started up just fine, but still chirped. I about lost my mind. After more investigation, I found that it was an exhaust leak. The previous owner had snapped off the front two exhaust manifold bolts. I've had the tools needed to extract and repair, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Take the Chevy emblem off the front grille, have it framed with a picture of your grandfather, then move on. Learning to deal with loss is learning how to move on.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man that's wild! I'd be thinking your thoughts on what fixes should've been, exhaust can be pretty crazy sometimes with how much it can change on how a vehicle runs/sounds.

I have to eventually get back to my 01 F150, been on a few other car projects lately but need to do the brakes/plugs/valve covers - I haven't officially looked at the covers yet but from a quick glance it looks like ones leaking. The truck runs fine other than brakes and the leak but I want to avoid more issues later..

9. Falcons Talon

If your F150 has the 5.4 and you're pulling the passenger valve cover, make sure to check the water crossover on the intake when you pull it off. It has a known corrosion issue at the crossover. You also may want to change out the coolant temp sensor while you have the intake off since it sits in the channel underneath the intake.
    I have the dreaded oil filter housing leak, and since I have the 4x4, I'll probably have to drop the front differential...Either that or try to wiggle in from under the driver side wheel well with a ton of extensions and swivels. I might just take her into the shop for the exhaust leak and oil leak. Not that I can't fix it myself....I just don't want to deal with that right now. I'm getting older and achier. The mind is willing, but the body is weak.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

@CCity Zero The quote came in at $3500, he's giving me a break on the labor since we've been doing business with him for many years. It won't get completed right away which is fine by me. The transmission isn't damaged or the frame but there is some work to done underneath so the price may go up a bit. Thanks for your insight and info on this, I'm very grateful.

K mf G, CCity Zero and Falcons Talon like this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for the heads up on this, right now it's on the driver side, but I am going to check the other one as well and was thinking I'd take it apart anyway. I have the 4x4 too, I am hoping to avoid that for now... And definitely agree, dropping the dif isn't fun.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's awesome, I'm glad he's not charging much. Glad to have helped! Definitely update us on how it all goes, I think it'll fix up really nice

Andre0087 likes this.