1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Sox accused of video room for stealing signs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jan 7, 2020.

1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

2. dannah

dannah Member

Exactly, there is absolutely no difference.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Sign stealing has now won two World Series. It’s closing in on steroids. But there’s no way it could possibly make a difference, lol.

4. msn

msn Member

Why didn't OP make thread title, So the Red Sox 2018 title is tainted?

I'll tell you why. Because it's complete, unadulterated BS.

#changethatstupidassthreadtitle

RayRay10 and SemisolidSnake like this.
  5. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I see why some may think this, and maybe correct in thinking this way, but cora didnt appear out of thin air in 2016 to become the Astros' bench coach. Where was he immediately before? In other words, where did he learn his tricks from? Interestingly enough, the last 2 teams he played for in the big leagues were the Nationals in 2011 and Rangers in 2010. I say "interestingly," because those teams have also been mentioned as teams that other teams around the league are highly suspicious of.

Beltran, who I have a feeling is going to skirt much of this, is the other one with the obvious "interesting" past.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What about Carlos Beltran? Player then, but a manager now, and presumed to be the main player involved.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was part of the MLB Tonight crew at ESPN. Based on the original reporting, I'd say Beltran brought up the idea based on something he had done with the Yankees and Cora instituted it. It is hard to believe that AJ Hinch would be unaware, so hammer will likely come down hard on him.

8. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Yes, he was a broadcaster for a couple years before Astros, but I just find it interesting that the last teams he actually played for, granted 2010 and 2011, were two teams that I have read multiple times about having been thought of cheating also. Technology was a little different then, but 2010 and 2011 isnt so ancient to think that it isnt possible for the this type of thing to be in their infancy stages at least.

9. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

The Astros didn’t let him go. He left willingly for a better job.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  10. homewight

Yes, they did. I heard and read from multiple sources that the investigation was only going to involve the Astros.

11. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Drug use/abuse was rampant in the NBA in 1986. Didn't stop the NBA from making the Rockets their whipping boy. And yes I am still bitter.

Jake Tower likes this.
  12. homewight

Kept trying to add Chris Broussard photo but the internet hates me.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I read that Beltran won't be mixed into this or that the Mets believe he won't. We'll see.

I think the Red Sox and Astros will see some management suspended and a warning for bans if it happens again.

Alex Cora may get the harshest punishment here especially since to casual fans it looks like his cheating resulted in him getting two championships.

14. SemisolidSnake

I personally think MLB ought to be punishing themselves for thinking that a rule on paper would somehow prevent the "unfair" use of technology in a 4G smartphone era in a building with tens of thousands of high definition cameras crammed into a tight space.

Reminds me of politicians passing effectively-unenforceable laws that then go on to never be enforced until it's politically expedient for someone to try to do so or someone needs to CYA.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would guess he gets nothing as he hasn't been involved as a manager.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Stealing signs is part of the game.

The Real Shady and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With eyes from 2nd base. Not by some dude siting in a hallway with a monitor.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.