1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Wild Card Bills @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You misspelled ZOMBIE OILERS

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Doesn't matter with the LWW pattern ;)

3. Texanstradamus

thanks to O’Brien

4. theimpossibles1

Texans scored 2 TDs, 2 2pt conversions, and 2 FGs to score 22 points.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He had the guts to attempt two pt conversions though. I have to give him some credit there for going all in

vator likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

He’s kidding while being supportive at the same time. You think he really believes BoB is a genius?

Houstunna likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

huh? That’s what you’re supposed to do in both of those situations. That wasn’t ballsy...it was just the correct call.

Newlin likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

My thoughts are the same after the game as they were entering..... "O'Brien equals wasted years of fandom".

This season and next year are his easiest chances for success before players get paid and the (lack of) draft picks become detrimental. I'm actually less confident in him as Watson and Allen saved his bacon.

justtxyank and Gray_Jay like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Guts to go for two point conversions when every single coach in the entire football universe would have done so?

Fulgore and Newlin like this.
  11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Here is a good angle and breakdown of DW4 escaping and making a play

vator likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-ices-bills-with-epic-play-in-texans-victory

"I was chill," Watson told me as we walked in the corridor outside the home locker room more than an hour after Houston's epic, 22-19 overtime victory, which sent the Texans into next Sunday's Divisional Round against the second-seeded Kansas City Chiefs. "Things hadn't gone well, but s--- happens. Everybody knew that it was about that time -- somebody just needed to make a play and get things going. J.J. made one -- and once that happened, we were off and running."

On second-and-6 from the Buffalo 44, Watson lined up in the shotgun formation and recognized a zero blitz, meaning the Bills would not have a safety patrolling the back end. That meant single coverage for Hopkins (six catches, 90 yards), who was lined up in the right slot against All-Pro cornerback Tre'Davious White, and Watson liked the matchup. However, Watson suspected that nickel cornerback Kevin Johnson -- who played for the Texans from 2015-18 -- had a pretty good idea of what his former teammate was thinking.

"I wanted that play for Hop, but Kevin Johnson knew our signal," Watson told me. "I knew (Johnson would) drop, but I was trying to see if he'd try to bait him and jump the running back. But it wasn't there, and because it was blitz zero, I knew I was gonna have to take the hit. I never usually go down on first contact, so it was worth the chance."

As it turned out, first contact was the understatement of the season.

Shortly after receiving the snap, Watson got clocked in the back by safety Siran Neal, who was blitzing from his left. A split-second later, he got rocked in the neck area by linebacker Matt Milano, who was charging from the quarterback's right. And Watson, incomprehensibly, somehow stayed upright and spun out of the second hit, rolling to his right to keep the play -- and hope -- alive.

Naturally, two more defenders closed in hard -- defensive tackles Corey Liuget and Jordan Phillips. Watson, who'd already been sacked seven times by the Bills, retreated to his own 42 with both players in hot pursuit. Just before the 6-foot-6, 341-pound Phillips plowed into him, he released a pinpoint pass to his right, where third-string running back Taiwan Jones was waiting near the sideline at the Buffalo 45.

Jones, who spent the previous two seasons with the Bills, darted to his left, eluded lunging safety Micah Hyde, and raced ahead to the Buffalo 10. The 34-yard gain set up Ka'imi Fairbairn's 28-yard field goal, which ended the game 11:37 into overtime and left players on both teams slack-jawed about Watson's magic as they left the field.

"I knew he might do something like that," said Bills outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who announced his retirement after the game, completing an improbable and fulfilling 13-year career. "Those kind of things happen in overtime."

Said Texans wide receiver Kenny Stills, shaking his head: "Baller. Baller. He's big-time ... a superstar."

As for the Texans? Well, it's all about the present, and their fortunes revolve around their ultra-cool young leader who on Saturday took a big, big step in his career development when things looked bleakest.

"That's Deshaun Watson," Hopkins said. "It's crazy. He's so calm, and that definitely helped us."

Before last year's playoff game against the Colts, I sat down with Watson and O'Brien, who told me that the quarterback calmed him down during tense moments. Saturday, it seemed, was no different.

"He was real chill," Watson said of O'Brien. "He came in at halftime, and he didn't panic. He just said that it's a long game, and we've just got to find our rhythm -- have somebody make a big play to get us going -- and we're gonna be fine."

Deep into overtime, Watson made the biggest play to date of his NFL career, and it was so good, it provoked a private screening once he reached the locker room. After receiving congratulations via FaceTime from Houston rapper Travis Scott, Watson sat down at his locker next to left tackle Laremy Tunsil and called up a replay of the pivotal overtime pass to Jones on his iPhone.

Tunsil, acquired shortly before the season in a blockbuster trade with the Miami Dolphins, watched the replay in sheer wonderment.

"Bro," Tunsil said to Watson after watching a replay of the quarterback shaking off the first two hits.

"Bro!" Tunsil exclaimed after seeing the quarterback get the pass off to Jones. Then, looking up at me, Tunsil said: "What more do I need to see? My boy is a playmaker." Watson smiled, then explained why he decided against throwing "hot" to Hopkins.

"If I threw it, it'd be picked," he said. "So once I made that decision -- too late ... I was going to take a hit. But I knew I wasn't going down."

Because he didn't, the Texans are still standing, and will head into Kansas City with a bounce in their step.

And the masses who were freaking out about Houston's expected early exit midway through the third quarter?

They can just chill.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

Awesome!Travis Scott showing love!

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Watson literally ended this man's career.

TejasTom likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Incredible second half by Watson and props to crennels defense as usual.

Obrien will have to score more than the low 20s he averages as an offensive coordinator next week

TejasTom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Carter's kickoff blooper was much worse than described. He was stepping foward holding the ball. Still wouldn't be angry if the jerseys were switched though.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It’s like I used to tell the 15 year olds I used to coach in soccer....”never give the refs an opportunity to make a call against you”

No Worries and jcee15 like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That game sucked ass...then it was really fun.

Bring it for 2 halves next week.

TejasTom, BMoney and deb4rockets like this.
  20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That game had me all over the place with emotions. 0-16 might as well have felt like 0-30 at the time.

JJ is ridiculous. He’s either using deer antler spray, an alien, or both. Words can’t describe how incredible and important he was.

Watson is so ridiculously strong. He has that lean “wirey strength.” That touchdown run where he carried several defenders into the end zone, and then the unexplainable play in OT to win it... just crazy.

I’ve had to watch replays half a dozen times because it’s so hard to enjoy the game when my heart is about to pop out of my chest throughout. The highlights remind me just how unlikely that was...

Obrien... ugh. Whatever. **** it. We won! On to KC!

#1740 STR8Thugg, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020