1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eating Crow: T-Grey is OK

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Mar 14, 2004.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Title of this thread pretty much says it all. There were multiple threads when the season began crying over his horrid announcing ability.

To be fair...he was really bad. I thought so, you thought so...most everyone thought so. But with season tickets, I've been to a game or two a week most of the season (when possible) and he has consistently improved. These days, he actually makes the games better - he's good. As an example, he's the only annoucner I've ever heard who will start the "defense" chant, then when people aren't loud enough, say "LOUDER" and people get louder. He has other little things like this that work too.

Anyway, just thought I'd take a second to say I was wrong. T-Grey turned out OK.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

32 people so far beg the differ. :)

I think it just took him a little time to get adjusted to the new gig (a la Coop) now both seem to be more comfortable, and are doing a better job because of it.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Funny how winning cures everything...

Seriously though, I never had a problem with his "chanting" during the games (like many others did)... I just think his voice didn't SOUND good.

But, either he's worked on it, or we've just all gotten used to it... like when Cynthia Cooper stutters and stammers 18 times before she gets to introduce the halftime segment... we're all so sensitized to it now, it looks like great broadcasting. :D

I actually like T-Grey's encouragement of the crowd... because we all know that Houston fans will sit on their hands if they're not prompted. He also had them chanting "defense" in the 1st half... something that NEVER used to happen at old Rockets games.

4. rockets688

rockets688 Member

I don't care what happens...Cynthia Cooper will never be an adequete tv personality. No offense to her basketball playing abilities, but she should not be in the same ARENA with Calvin and Bill.

We all hold our breath when she's talking and breath the obligatory sigh of relief with those sweet, sweet words:

"Now lets go down to Bill and Calvin..."

Which by the way, are the only words she manages to get out without stuttering.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

It was funny when Coop was trying to read her first line at the half. She couldn't read the prompt correctly...:D

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I still think he sucks. His voice is way too high for one thing, it's annoying.

I refuse to watch Cooper when she's on, but I doubt she's improved. There's no hope for an announcer that worthless.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

...and he still sucks.

sorry.

he is a lot better than the pistons guy though.

8. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Agreed! I watched the Pistons game on ABC this morning and the PA guy was horrid...absolutely unbearable.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

T-Grey is bearable now. He still needs work still. Hell on Thursday he called the Hornets Charlotte when he announced the score at halftime. He could be better, but I am still used to last year's announcer.

He is a cool guy in person. Meet him twice at a few viewing parties and was cool to talk to and even took a pic with my friend.

10. Tim

Tim Member

T. Grey has made huge improvements this year, and he's worked very hard. I'm not sure what standard most of you apply -- we have independent observers from the league come through all the time and rate us, and their ratings for T are very high.

Sure, it took him a while to get a feel for the role. But, according to those with the league whose job it is to travel to all arenas, evaluate, and pass on best practices -- he's become one of the better PAs in the league in only his first year.

And he still has upside. Haters, you can go ahead and do your thing. But, please ... give him a closer listen before you make your next judgment.

Tim

11. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

T-Grey isn't that bad......gotten kinda used to him by now (neva will be mario nani, but he's aite.....and i like cynthia.....she knows alot about the game and she's entertainin to watch....mistakes or not.....

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He has gotten better, but he needs to quit yelling "DEFENSE" when the "defense" drum beat (I don't know what you call it) is being played. WE ALL KNOW TO YELL DEFENSE when those beats are being played. Give it a rest. Is part of his job duties to be a cheerleader too?

I think an announcer is good when he is going un-noticed and I think that has been the case lately. Other than, as mentioned, his slip calling New Orleans "Charlotte".

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's great to hear. After all, I want the Rockets to excel at everything. But, I still don't like him. I don't like the way he says "Defense" and I don't like he'll try to start it while the ball is dead. I think it is worst when the night is pretty dead (like when I first heard him when we played the Heat), but it wasn't much better when the crowd was jazzed up (like our last game against Dallas). After 3 championships or so, I'm sure the crowd will drown him out and he'll be less obtrusive. :)

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I still have a hard time forgiving the idiocy of not understanding the penalty with team fouls.

"That's the Nuggets 4th team foul, so the Rockets are in the penalty shooting free throws!"

Lord.

All. Season.

Evan

15. coma

coma Contributing Member

My only complaint with T-Grey is that when he starts of the chant of 'Defense' there's not enough bass in his voice. I cringe every time I hear him say it. It does NOT make me want to join in and scream defense when it sounds like Erkel is starting the chant.

I listen to T-Grey on the weekends on 97.9 and it's not like he has a high or effeminate voice.

T-Grey, if you're reading this....PUT SOME BASS INTO IT MAN!!

16. Tim

Tim Member

We noted that mistake early in the season and have corrected it. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't happened in a long time, and we specifically watch for it.

Maybe the Nuggets example is appropriate, since that was Opening Night. ;)

Tim

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's no different from what the Spurs announcer does. Only he always says something like "give them a little help" when they're struggling on offense(which is not a rare occurance this season).

18. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Yeah its getting really sickening to me. Some of you guys complain about everything. T-Grey was never a problem in my eyes. He had the New Job Jitters like we all have when we start a new gig. I think he is pretty good. Like someone else stated, 80 percent of the time the crowd comes to life is because of him. I've been to many games this year and I like the job he is doing. Not near as annoying as soe claim. I remember someone here was hating on Clutch the Bear. Im in my late 20's that crazy bear keeps me laughing the whole game. I must say the Rockets organizations in game tactics are pretty good. I enjoy them very much. Chill out with the hating. Some of you are getting worse than Baby's Momma's!:D

19. ths balla

ths balla Member

i'm getting used to T-Grey, i just wish he had more power in his voice in the starting line ups......................i just want to know why we had to fire the old announcer, he was really good:(

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Hey, I'm just nitpicking.

The Rockets intro is first rate now. They got rid of the drummers and the rocket launch scoreboard effect is sweet. The scoreboard itself is incredible and I knew it would be in the new areana. They keep it entertaining with the videos, games and fan cams.

Clutch is one of the best mascots around. He is always coming up with new ideas and re-using the ones that work.

The Powerdancers are one of the best groups I've seen in recent years. It appears silicon has become quite popular.

All in all a great improvement.