1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to stay ahead of the training curve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jan 1, 2020.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This is the future of training. I can tell you this, people within the team know about it. To what extent they'll adopt it, i don't know...but if they want to stay ahead of the curve they need to act quickly and implement it at a full scale. It's starting to leak into professional sports more and it's just a matter of time before a team brings it on board completely and that might be their only availability for a while. This video doesn't do their level of detail to biomechanics justice because it's showing more of the final product, but it is hall of fame work. GOAT status. This particular client is a wrestler, but they can adjust it to basketball players.

Dwight Howard, Chandler Parsons, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon (hell let's even add Will Fuller)...

Git R done Morey....

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I can imagine the average Clutchfan at 5'2" and 300 trying performing this graceful exhibition of human dexterity. Im all game if it would actually keep athletes healthy.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

most of these movements are very similar to exercises in the 3-4 different CrossFit/Conditioning classes i take. stopped lifting w/ personal trainer about 5 months ago when i found these classes, and feel much better on the court and in general now

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised Harden-is-fat thread

5. omgTHEpotential

Can someone explain what this is? And why would basketball players benefit from it more than from normal, basketball-oriented training programs? Don't get me wrong it's a nicely shot youtube video.

#5 omgTHEpotential, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not like Crossfit. These guys regress movement back to standing posture, then walking, and so on. Crossfit doesn't use cable machines like these guys and don't show biomechanical corrections at this level. Not saying you don't feel better, but Functional Patterns' results cover a wide range of populations. Thats why they'd be able to cover the different players on a team.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's called Functional Patterns.

Normal oriented b-ball programs don't cover biomechanical correction very well. If a player already has good mechanics, they do well, when they don't, well then you get a decline like Howard's and Parson's, or flare ups like CP or Gordon.

The big pay off is the sustainabiity for athletes. Theyll get injured a lot less through their careers and either perform as well or better.

The guy in the video was really succesful up to college, but then started having injuries he couldn't shake.. Was considering retirement and a coaching job but then started this training a couple yrs ago.. Those injuries are gone and he's won back to back world titles at his weight class.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets need to get fat, lazy, pregnant with twins Harden on that Marvel workout plan so he can run around off-ball like Klay

Lawlruschang, arubato and DeBeards like this.
  9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This is some of the other things they're doing. They cover a wide variety of issues.. Training pro athletes is less difficult than ther problems they have tackled.

Biomechanical studs on every level.

#9 RV6, Jan 1, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

The war is raw, harden needed serious Functional Patterns so that he could got away with either post-season double team or 3 point line 'stumble'.

#10 DeBeards, Jan 1, 2020
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

post this in the zion thread lol

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Havent seen it, but I guess it has to do with NO trying to change how he walks and runs? These guys do that best. They have been pushing that as a foundational concept for awhile. They were ridiculed for it, but it's catching on now....there is definitely something to it, but I doubt the NO staff can apply it well enough.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Here's an example to give you an idea of how they think and how they can apply it to basketball. What's more biomechanically similar to an in game jump, this or doing calf raises on a machine? Or even a barbell squat? Specificity is a big part of training and you can't expect to mimic in game conditions best when your arms aren't even part of the movement. The more you disconnect the body in training, the less prepared you'll be in a game, which increases risk of injury.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Whatever Harden is doing, it works. His average has gone up every year in the league and seldom gets injured despite playing the most minutes.

JamalP. likes this.
  16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm telling yall....this is the future

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The average Clutchfan is 5'2, 300 eh? I'm doing way better than I thought

coachbadlee likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This guy sounds like a power tool.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you're not familiar with his work, then yes. Otherwise it would just seem like he's speaking accurately.