1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Teams have definitely doubled Harden, or at least trapped him last year with CP3 on the floor just not to this extent. They also did that weird behind Harden defense last year and I don't remember CP3 or anyone on the team for that matter responding well to it.
    This is honestly a terrible argument. We have a 2 year sample size of CP3 on this damn team, We've seen him take our team to the peak and decline in last year's playoffs.

CP3 didn't take a magic pill this offseason at 34 that re kick started his career, he is what he is at this point. How can you even make any conclusion based on his performance on a entirely different team, entirely new system where they are running 3 guard rotation where he sometimes takes like 8 shots a game because Alexander and Schroeder generates most of the scoring.

What is it about CP3 that makes you think he made a leap in the off season that would make him different from last year ON THIS ROCKETS SQUAD, where he has to literally take on half of the team's offense, with every other possession being an isolation play.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not an argument. its actual truth. he didn't need to re kick anything. he's always been this type of player. the short sighted look makes people like you think otherwise. that part is the true terrible argument. what doesn't decline drastically is him being a skillful high iq player. he doesn't need to hoist up 30 shots to reach 20 pts. hes never been that way . he doesn't need athleticism to be relevant bc he has everything else that will absolutely age well.

what makes me think so? well considering the rockets were 20-5 after the AS break and top 5 rated on both sides of the ball is a pretty good indication. just maybe. can this team have a stretch like that? as of now they haven't

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I believe during his time here the CP3 lineups without Harden were actually better than the lineups with them both AND the lineups with just Harden and no CP3. Paul and the bench mob would obliterate 2nd units.

The Westbrook lineups without Harden have been very, very negative so far.

LosPollosHermanos, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  4. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

BeBreezy and Nook like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You keep hanging onto a 25 game stretch. About about the 25 game stretch where we were 11-14, what about the 11 game stretch where we got bounced from the playoffs and CP was abysmal, what about the stretch where he was out and Harden had to average 50 points a game to keep us in the playoffs picture.

But that doesn't matter right? Because high iq players don't decline athletically apparently, even though all of his stats declined significantly from 2017-2018

D-rock likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you keep hanging on to a few games. what's more relevant. i'd say the stretch that actually has the players that are pretty much still here. you keep saying he was abysmal when that's far from the truth. that's your problem #1

you really need to adjust your definitions of what abysmal is. if cp3 was absymal, westbrick should be out of the league if you're going to be consistent with performance

yeah the stretch of 11-14 when the rockets had what melo, knight, ennis, chriss, mcw as your primary role players lol. of course that team is going to start 11-14. a lot of us expected that team to not fit and spent an entire summer laughing at the moves

what's harden averaging this year for the rockets to win games. 40 a game. @ me when the rockets start with an elite stretch like cp3's on this team. then maybe you can work your way up. lets see how far it actually gets

#146 YOLO, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  7. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

But CP might be out of commission right now if he was wearing a Rockets uniform this year, because the Houston offense is too taxing on a player with his injury history.

8. jsilencio

jsilencio Member

No way in hell we should have run it back with CP3. That group had expired. Move on.

MystikArkitect and D-rock like this.
  9. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I'd like to think that the massive change to his diet and rehabbing his body that he did over the course of the last off-season has contributed to why CP is hanging tough through 30 plus games so far. We'll see how he holds up though.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Paul was being moved in large part because Tillman complained about paying Paul.

Also Harden wanted to add Westbrook to Paul. The General Manager has confirmed this. Harden wanted to add Butler to Paul and later Westbrook to Paul.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I like Chris Paul. I was against the trade at the time. It didn’t have to happen. Harden didn’t demand Westbrook and didn’t have an issue playing with Paul. Harden was told several days before the deal that it appeared dead and wasn’t upset.

Westbrook has solved our rebounding issues and has brought the increase in pace wanted. I don’t really miss Paul too much on the offensive end. He protects the ball better but the shooting issue is less of a concern because of House/McLemore hitting 3’s.

Where I really miss Paul is on the defensive end. He has always been an underrated defender and was perfect for the Rockets defensive style. Westbrook is actually better than last year defensively but Paul is simply the best overall defensive point guard in the league. Without Paul anchoring the defense, the Rockets have to add long defensive wings.

Kim and D-rock like this.
  12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You know more than most here. Your honest opinion do you think Houston will add anything of value at the deadline? I just having a hard time imagining Tillman paying deeper into the tax and we don't have much to trade aside from Clint and PJ which make us worse. I feel like we are stuck.

13. Nook

Nook Member

All I can tell you is close to a month ago they were told they did not have to be under the luxury tax at the deadline and could improve the team. Now, ownership said this before to the front office only to get cold feet.

My understanding is the Rockets can add a player making more salary than has been widely reported, but it gets convoluted and unlikely.

Yes I think there is a very high likelihood the Rockets add one or two players to the roster. The owner and GM are motivated to win now and they will trade a #1 for a rotational 3/4 or 4/5 that can defend some and hit 3’s. There will be something available.

Will it be enough? I don’t know. It likely will not be a big name. The West is wide open and at some point the Rockets will need to gel to come out of the West and that is the case even with a trade.

I hope that answers your question. The owner says he will spend and the front office as of a month ago believed it.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I know Rockets rightfully covet Covington, but if that trade does not pan out plan B should be Thaddeus Young.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

That’s stupid. The only thing that stood in their way was a dynasty. It’s no longer around. It being expired makes 0 sense

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

The what if’s

17. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Because he actually showed up in shape.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am very happy for Paul . . .. I hope he gets a trade to a significant team
    Here is the thing
    I don't think anyone on this board ASKED FOR THIS TRADE
    I think everyone was ready to run it back
    but
    that did not happen
    so . . .we move on

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

CP3 is extra motivated this year

Rocket River

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If CP3 took 30 shots a game, his efficiency would fall off a cliff.

It’s kind of amazing that no CP3 supporters understand the connection between volume and efficiency.