1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Band this Decade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Dec 21, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Punk/Reggae FTW

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Tame Impala

Plowman and KingCheetah like this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

There’s been a ton of music I have loved this decade, but i can’t say there’s been 1 band that stood out like a band such as the Killers did in the 2000s.

So many damn good Indy songs though. I just don’t think a band like Chvrches has had enough success to be in the discussion.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

When I think of bands I think of groups like RUSH, The Who, Tom Petty, AC DC, Triumph, Queen......Nothing really stands out to me from a group perspective over the past 10 years, maybe some country acts that are classified as a band. One thing I find interesting is you have so much collaboration between musicians, you would rarely see a group like RUSH mixing with AC DC

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The War on Drugs

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What did the Killers do besides the hot fuss?!? Otherwise they were extremely underwhelming.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sams town and day and age were both solid. When You Were Young was their best single. Then add in their multiple Christmas jams. They consistency put out good music the 2000s.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is actually probably the best choice. In terms of number of albums released this decade plus quality I can almost objectively prove that the correct answer is Beach House by a wide margin. (Another more subjective personal favorite would be Deafheaven. )

However, Tame Impala hits the sweet spot of both popularity and quality better than just about anyone. Maybe Vampire Weekend is another, but their debut was last decade.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Check out these three bands -

Roxanne - Someone to kill

Go F*** Yourself

The Winery Dogs - Six Feet Deeper

KXM - Rescue Me

Gun Fight

#30 Corrosion, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    B@ffled and FrontRunner like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

See the post above .... KXM and Winery Dogs are "Super Groups".

Roxanne is an 80's band that came back together and put out one hell of an album in Radio Silence (kinda fitting name)

A couple more "collaborations"

The Aristocrats.

Spanish Eddie

Flying Colors

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

eta...just in cast you missed these covers:

#32 Buck Turgidson, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    AleksandarN likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

I don't follow much modern music or much music at all. However, using the criterion of a band actually formed in the past decade, I'm going to go with The Dead South (formed 2012) which I just learned about a few months ago.

If you have a hankering for some dark folk-bluegrass with some rather incredible vocals, worth checking out.

Richie_Rich and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's some damn good Bluegrass, son.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  15. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is my favorite band of the decade. Australian band with 3 guitarists and 2 drummers. They play everything from psychedelic, prog, garage, heavy metal, folk, jazz. The list goes on.

Honorable mention to Khruangbin. Local trio holding it down from H-town.

jo mama likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

This is a time I wish we had a dislike button.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Gotta be One Direction. Amirite??

18. Buck Turgidson

Oh come on, Steve'N Seagulls is by far the best Finnish Bluegrass Assrock Cover Band on Earth.

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Not bad. I liked that first KXM song. The second not so much. The Winery Dog's sound was more to my liking, at least on my first listen.

I'll check out Roxanne another time.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Saw the Winery Dogs live on Mothers day with my kids .... front row. My son plays guitar , violin and piano , my daughter cello.

They are the definition of a "super group" ....

Mike Portnoy , the drummer was the founder and driving force of Dream Theater until he left in 2010 and was replaced by Mike Mangini - Both are Berklee college of music grads. Portnoy is the second youngest person inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame at age 37 - Niel Peart being the youngest at 35.

Billy Sheehan .... has been around the block a few times , played with Mr Big and David Lee Roth when he left VH. He's also got numerous side projects with guys like Tony McAlpine (His new drummer Aquiles Priester is an absolutely incredible) and Sons of Apollo (another of Portnoy's side gigs).

Kotzen replaced CC Deville in Poison and later replaced Paul Gilbert in Mr Big. His solo stuff , while not known to the masses is amazing , he plays something like 14 instruments and on his solo releases he plays all the instruments and produces it himself. Some of the late 80's stuff was a shredfest in the mold of Jason Becker , Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwei.
    His short lived "Forty Deuce" put out one album thats well worth the listen.
    Some years back he started playing pickless .... its creates a really unique sound. Really one of my favorite musicians ....

Here's a link to a live show in Japan ? in 2015 .... Kotzen actually does a drum solo at about the 1 hour mark in this show. At 22:30 - the song Fear I highly recommend , same for "you cant save me" at about 1:29:15

The Telecaster he plays in that show is his signature model from Fender.

Kinda strange that some 70 years later guys like Kotzen and John 5 are still playing Telecasters ....

#40 Corrosion, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    FrontRunner likes this.