1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

" I'd Average 40 If I Played For Today's Houston Rockets" - Rockets Legend Scottie Pippen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Dec 12, 2019.

1. dejamike

dejamike Member

People gives him more credit than he deserves defensively. I remember he got torched by Kobe when he was in Houston, the worst part was he didn’t make it up by scoring either.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

AT BEST I could see Pippen averaging 25, 7, and 6 in today’s era

he needs to shut his dumbass up

put Harden in Pippen’s era and we’d be witnessing child abuse

[​IMG]

Who could check him?

dejamike, joshuaao, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Pip had a lot of skill and footwork that people seem to forget, in fact i think Pip was the first MJ copy cat before Kobe in that he tried to mimic a lot of MJs moves and it's obviously a whole other thing to go all out on offense while also playing all time great elite perimeter defense. Like most players of the 90s, if they really focused on it, many would have upped their 3PT %'s of course, but he had a set shot not unlike Kawhi Leonards form that would have never been good enough to explode for the kinds of scoring nights Harden is having. Could he up his FTA? Sure. He could attack uphill with those long strides, but also lacked the ball handling skill Harden has to consistently get past his man and lacked the explosive first step to make up for that. He was right that he wasn't a spot up shooter and that's what the Rockets tried to make him, but he was also past his prime as 35 year old MJ all but carried the Bulls in 98 when PIP had a bum back. I do think prime PIP could be as good or better than Kawhi in todays NBA though.

It's obviously really difficult to try and compare players who peak at around 24-26% USG rate compared to the USG% Harden is having in this offense, so yes, tell him to conserve energy on defense and up his USG to almost 40% and of course his numbers would go up, but more like LeBron numbers imo.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, because he wasn't anything special taking 3 pt shots.

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not that hard to compare a guy whose best career scoring output was about half of what Harden's is.

It's very easy to contrast them too!

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was just poking around in the stats myself and found that he has exactly one career game scoring at least 39 points in 38 or fewer minutes, which are Harden's averages. o_O

jsingles likes this.
  7. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

can we sign Ron artest

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get what he meant now
    He would have averaged 40 MINUTES a game

Rocket River