1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is responsible for effort?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Dec 10, 2019.

?

Who is most responsible for a team's effort?

1. Coach

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Superstars

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Individual Players

39 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

Is he really though? Some press conference and training interviews mentioning effort is not being on them for their effort? He can't force them sure, but he can sure discipline them. 100% agree on Harden and I don't know if he'd listen to any coach, but I rather risk getting a coach who isn't afraid to rip Harden a new one, but first tries to instil discipline and effort, defense first into the group. I think a coach can do all he wants, but if a star is like "meh, we'll beat these guys" then we shouldn't be surprised others will follow suit. I think therefore a superstar is most important. Look at how former teammates speak of Olajuwon, that they wanted to work hard for the guy because they knew he'd have their back on defense and lead them on offense. They wanted to win for him! I doubt every single player wants to win for Harden.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not necessarily bench, but hold him accountable. I think Harden has out-of-proportion influence within the organization, and this affects how he can be coached and how other players can interact with him.

apollo33 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

The infamous playoffs clippers game

snowconeman22 and smp like this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I voted for "individual players" but the individual player who is usually the problem here is a superstar, it's Harden. Last night Hardens DGAF attitude on defense gave up probably 10 open 3s, maybe more, it was driving me crazy. I think his defensive effort has taken a step back this year. I feel bad for his teammates in those situations because guys like Mclemore PJ and House were all giving 110% sprinting all over the place to rotate and cover for Harden's ass while he guarded nobody, but playing defense 4 on 5 the Kings eventually found the open shooter over and over. It felt like they got open 3s on like half of their possessions.

hakeem94, HP3 and jboslett like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree but that's also unfortunately normal for a superstar player in today's NBA. If they don't have that type of control they'll move on because someone will give it to them.

HP3 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on these are grown men, they are choosing to lack effort.

The coach is not going to bench Harden.

DS

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Harden honestly is like a child sometimes. You can tell when things don't get his way and he just pouts onnthe court and stop giving a shet

DaDakota, GotGame15, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  8. smp

smp Member

McHale did it in a playoff elimination game. He was old school like that. He got fired but he did it. Haha

9. dmoneybangbang

Terrible body language at times.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I would go a step further and say the players aren't holding themselves accountable either. Say what you will about CP3, one cultural change he was trying to bring to this team was just that. Not sure if it took or not, or it's part of the reason he and James had their tiff, but that is key too.

Gray_Jay, Vivi, BaselineFade and 3 others like this.
  11. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

this is a perfect way to describe it... I LOVE james confidence but sometimes it can almost cross over to cockiness.... or entitlement....

GotGame15 and justtxyank like this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

"Lack of effort" is a convenient, no accountability excuse, for lake duck, lame ass, coaches who suck at their job.

13. JackLordsHair66

Im glad someone else sees this, his act is growing thin. Obviously a huge (frankly a disproportionate) amount of this teams success rests with Harden and his effort on both sides of the ball, but so far in most of our losses he has been sloppy, careless, disinterested at times, lazy and just exudes the vibe that he doesn’t give a damn. I know that is unlikely but as you say when he is locked in it’s a very noticeable difference in how he affects other players and their efforts, it rarely seems to work in the opposite way. It’s very troubling to watch happen every couple of games but it does happen at least I feel it does and it’s not a recipe for championship success imo.

14. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Harden is a fantastic player, but this team needs a leader and Harden is far from it. His attitude, his body language at certain moments of the game (I imagine Kobe Bryant saying "soft" repeatedly), his decisions on and off the field.
    We need a leader and Harden keeps sending wrong messages to his teammates.

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Players are responsible for providing effort.

Coaches are responsible for providing repercussions if they don't give it.

You can't make a player work. You CAN provide incentives to do so.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW, while I agree with some of the comments here, and that might be the outward perception, I don't think any of us here have a clue what messages he's providing to his teammates. Are any of us ever in the locker room? On the bench?

Smacktle likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone has a hand in it. but if you have any side that doesn't display any sort of responsibility/accountability then your problems are much deeper. This goes for all the personnel make up of stars to coaches

snowconeman22 and J Sizzle like this.
  18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Another opportunity to bash the coach...no wait the team...no wait Harden...

WHOOPEE!

snowconeman22, HP3 and juanm34 like this.
  19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Exactly my friend, I am not referring to oral messages. The most important messages are transmitted through actions, on and off the court. That is my point.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The clutch fans.

snowconeman22, hakeem94 and BigDog63 like this.