1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to fix Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Nov 26, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Attack the rim every time, Brick will be fouled out in the first quarter. Everyone is waiting for his arrival......

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC never fixed him, so yeah there is that.

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Russ isn’t the problem....it’s the players we have surrounded him with.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets are great with Harden on the floor with no Westbrook

Rockets are average with Harden and Westbrook on the floor

Rockets are terrible with Westbrook on the floor with no Harden

Westbrook is a huge problem

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone has flaws, and Russ got major flaws as a superstar. He isn't Superman but a Turtle.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Russ IS the problem - this is a team that needs him to be able to shoot at a decent percentage.

He relied on his athleticism and it worked, but it is declining and he is as well.

DD

7. Madclownpacasum

Russ should timely off ball screen to the side to get House/Gordon/Rivers/Mclemore open and go to the side when Beard is holding the ball. Yes not PJ Tucker because PJ has a good 3pt% in the sides so you don't want to remove him in that spot. W we should counter that double team on Beard asap

8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

In Mavericks match, once harden goes to the bench, Houston loses 14 to 2 using Westbrooks lead the team. If we have cp3, we can keep the lead. I think we need a stable players like Heats Jimmy butler

9. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

If u look at highly effective players like Kawhi and Harden they don't try to run the fastest they can, jump as high as they can, it almost feel like they are playing in slow motion. That's because they like play in their own pace where they are comfortable to always stay in perfect control. If you sprint lightning fast through everyone only to brick your layup, what good does it do? You waste so much energy, risk making mistakes, risk getting hurt and end up on shaqtin a fool. The sooner a player can learn to do this the better. Young Doncic has already been doing this perfectly, yet Westbrook has not.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

They haven’t had Westbrook change at all. Let him be the same mid range chucking inefficient dude he’s always been.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just wanted to compliment the flowing lines of the OP's text.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It is still blowing my mind.

How does he trick so many people into thinking he is good?

Not even that. How does he get seemingly smartish people to ignore statistics? Stats that are universally accepted as pretty legit ways to grade how well a player is playing. All just out the door when those stats say Westbrook is playing like a replacement level player.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

During the Mavs game, I heard one of the announcers talk about a rule change that affected Russ's free throw shooting. I looked into it and sure enough, in 2017 the league decided to "speed up" the game by not allowing players shooting free throws to cross the 3-point line between shots. Seems like a minor thing, but Westbrook had a long-standing ritual of walking a couple of feet behind the line before second and third shots. His FT% used to be well over 80%; since the change it's fallen below 70%.

The NBA Rule Change Which Ruined Russell Westbrook’s Free Throw Shooting

Russell Westbrook’s Free Throw Shooting Fell Off After A 2017 Rule Change Disrupted His Routine

Why does this matter? And shouldn't he still hit that first FT at an 80%+ clip? It's obvious that Russ was never a great shooter, but I think his ability to drain free throws and shorter twos kept him more in a shooter's mindset, enough for him to hit .343 from 3 and .845 from the line the year before the rule change. Both of those tumbled drastically the year after the rule change, then again the following year. He still hasn't recovered.

Sure, it could be his knee issues have made it more difficult to shoot, but I'm wondering if his psyche was broken once the change in his ritual screwed things up. His mindset certainly seems different now. At the line, his expression is more Clint Capela "Am I going to screw up?" than Chris Paul "These are easy points."

The Rockets need the NBA equivalent of Brett Strom.

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Russ will figure it out. I'm praying for him. Relax.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Some of the same dudes who clowned him for years are now trying to talk themselves into him as if he's the potential answer. It's sad to see.

We downgraded from CP3 and gave up assets to do it. It's a trade that will set the team back at least a couple of years when it's all said and done.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t even care to look at it from a trade standpoint. That’s over. Just compare Westbrook to himself.

The denial that he is playing at essentially the worst level of his career. The blaming of Harden and the system when players have done nothing but flourish next to Harden in this system.

I keep reading that us forcing Westbrook into playing our style is what’s killing him, but his shot profile is identical to his “MVP” season. We haven’t made him change anything.

This is just a severely overrated player crashing hard.

harold bingo, J Sizzle and YOLO like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's interesting...

Back to back offseasons bringing in a high-usage, low-efficiency, bad-defense player to a team that allegedly values efficiency and defense.

I just don't understand. I really don't.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Welcome to this forum. You’re right though, and I don’t say it with any glee. He’s a hard nosed player I like seeing play (for his effort), but he’s also an inefficient brick fest

19. smp

smp Member

Ok Westbrook haters. 27 points on 11-21 shooting. 9 rebounds. 7 assists. Only took and missed 2 three’s. I’ll take that any day. Those are good numbers for the 2nd offensive option.

Has CP3 had one game like that this season? I doubt he has and I doubt he will.

MDA needs to coach Westbrook to attack. He’s not a spot up 3 point shooter. Stop trying to turn him in to that. Stop expecting that. MDA needs to maximize the talent of his players like he did tonight.

If Westbrook is closing out games by shooting 3’s it’s on the coach to shut that **** down. That Clippers loss the other night was on MDA. I think he has worked with Westbrook over the past few days. I’m going to give coach the benefit of the doubt on that.

JayGoogle, DVauthrin and mario_v like this.
  20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

How are the rockets average with Russ and harden when our starting 5 ranks at the top of the league ?

Of course the rockets are going to be better with only harden than just Westbrook. Harden is an offensive force of nature and can score no matter who is on the floor, but when Russ is subbed out he is still there with other starters, whereas when Westbrook comes in by himself he is with all bench players.

You can not compare Russ and harden and use it to say Russ is not good because he isn’t doing what maybe the greatest offensive player in history does. Plus it’s still early, and we still are not healthy. You would think we are 6-12 and not 12-6 with all the constant negativity on this forum toward Westbrook. It’s disgusting

JayGoogle likes this.