1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Russ look like a “square peg in a round hole” to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Does Westbrook fit?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with all of this. If Westbrook can hit 3s at a pretty good clip, it's really hard to beat us.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Also, I'd say that it's hard to gameplan against him. His chaotic nature actually works in our favor.

Opposing team's gameplan is to probably try and contain Harden while doing their best to stay at home on the corner 3s if/when Harden decides to pass it out. It's already easier said than done.

With Harden, it's either a stepback 3 or a drive through the lane. Still hard to stop both, but it's predictable.

But then you have this spastic, fast and strong bully in Westbrook. Is he going to drive and dunk it? Is he going to drive and pass it out? Is he going to dribble it twice and pull up for 3? Is he going to drive it in only to pull up for a long 2?

Both Harden and Westbrook are indefensible, imo, but in their different ways.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I read an interesting post on thedreamshake that made sense. On opponents made shots Harden takes the ball and walks it up. On missed shots Brodie takes the ball and pushes for transition points.

idk if it’s actually been like that but if the Rockets implemented that strategy I’d like to see the results.

Best to do with WB is get him to buy into only shoot wide open 3s and take everything else to the hoop. If the defense collapses then pass it but no more pull up long 2s. I think we will see this get better and better.

4. alethios

alethios Member

A ball-stopper like Melo was a square peg fit to our system. Russ pushes the pace and attacks which also has the effect of keeping opposing team defense from settling in and saving energy. Plus the rest of the team is playing at a faster pace which increases scoring opportunities. He's a great fit so far.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely makes the Rockets more chaotic and unpredictable. Game-planning is going to give opposing coaches those Gundy eye-bags.

I really love the chemistry we are seeing between Clint and Russ, something we NEVER saw with Clint and Paul. If Clint can continue to run like a mad man, we have the fastest PG and the fastest C in the entire NBA.

D-rock, hakeem94 and jcmoon like this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'm very happy that he defers to Harden 100% of the time when the game slows down. (And vice versa, when we get a defensive rebound Harden defers to Russ in transition)

The drastic change of pace we fluctuate between is something I haven't seen since maybe Magic/Kareem...

#86 RudyTBag, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    D-rock, hakeem94 and alethios like this.
  7. teknokid

teknokid Member

Horrible thread title. It asks if the WB is a “square peg in a round hole”, and the actual pole question asks if he is a good fit. Two questions are contradicting each other and I am sure many made a mistake by answering the question on the title, not the question.

J.R., D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nice try?

You were the one who said Westbrook always had a positive net rating in the playoffs....

And why don’t you actually look stuff up before you just say ****?

Took me 3 seconds to see that Paul George was a net positive in last years playoffs along with some bench guys.

Nice try though....

D-rock, harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am surprised by our record and recent play. Our 3-3 start made sense. I didn't think Westbrook's poor perimeter shooting could ever work with this team. I might have been wrong.

WB has toned down his outside shots and focused more on driving to the basket as well as kicking out for a lot of assists. That plus his rebounding I think has more than compensated for his shooting. I am still not 100% convinced though.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not when the paint is packed - haven't you guys watched good teams defend Harden? There will be no room in the paint to drive, Harden will be doubled, and Westbrook will be wide open.

DD

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It may seem like all that is true but it’s not.

Westbrook’s shot profile is nearly identical to last season. And his assists per 100 possessions are also down.

Other troubling markers so far are we are a positive net rating team with just Harden, barely positive with Harden and Westbrook and negative with only Westbrook on the floor.

His rebounding and pace pushing are some positive signs, but I wouldn’t say up to this point he’s been a big reason we have been winning games. That putrid shooting efficiency on high volume is a lot to over come to being an overall net positive.

harold bingo and DaDakota like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, I would hazard that the quicker play (which he forces) has helped, but that is about it.

DD

13. SemisolidSnake

I kind of figured since hearing that we got him that he'd eventually just figure out a way to work his way into things. But it was going to take some time, since you don't have some sort of tactical or strategic expert at the coaching helm smoothing the way for that. I figured Russ and James and the team would work it out. The Portland game sure looks like a step in that direction. Russ gets a triple-double and not at the expense of other players. In fact, 3 of the other 5 starters put up some pretty gaudy numbers while not even being the center of attention.

If Russ is a square peg in a round hole, it's because you want something different than another round peg. Russell Westbrook as a square peg is just going to forcibly enlarge the hole, and everybody's happy with more hole.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its ok if harden is doubled and wb is wide open
    id take this chance at every single possession

#94 hakeem94, Nov 20, 2019
    Handles, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Boxscore +- my man.

[​IMG]

I'll be waiting for the apology. :D Have some honor!

#95 RudyTBag, Nov 20, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so 2 defenders on harden

3 defenders to pack the paint no one stay on shooters house and tucker?

so it will be WB with 2 3pt shooters and capela (4) vs 3 defenders (1 or 2 of the opponents best defenders on court on harden already)

this is basic math and common sense

or at the very least simply pay attention when rockets are playing

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol yes box +/- and net rating while you are on the floor are 2 different things

Westbrook’s teams were losing with him on the floor in the last 2 postseasons, despite his filing of the box score.

It’s no different this year. Harden is a massive positive when he’s alone. Westbrook a negative when he’s alone. And when they play together we are a slightly positive net rating.

Not positive signs for Westbrook.

Literally all the things people have said about Westbrook for years were and are still true, Empty triple doubles, with awful shooting on high volume and very iffy defense. It’s hard to be a winning player with that combo.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He is a winner, living in a brutal western conference. No shame in that. Go ask the 5-9 OKC fans if they look better without him this year.

#98 RudyTBag, Nov 20, 2019
    hakeem94, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Russ's life is being That Square Peg.

We like it if it works and....

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

They're going to pack the paint AND double harden?

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.