1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Ben & Chris, potentially, make EG expendable in a deal for the right wing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 16, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sometimes it would be nice if the Rockets would cultivate their own home selected talent. Just be patient for once! everyone is always trying to trade the players that play well for someone else. All the players the rockets traded away or let go would now probably be pretty good in the system

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't advocate dealing Austin, Mac, or Chris.
    This is about EG doing his thing this year, winning it all.. and in the off-season moving him for MOAR. : )

Rocket River likes this.
  3. TheSource

TheSource Member

Pretty sure Gordon can’t be traded this year

D-rock likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not this year …. because EG isn't trade eligible until after the trade deadline but potentially next season. He also has to prove he can sustain it for more than one game and he has to prove he can defend.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  5. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Lmao, is this thread for real? EG has given us 3 great years plus multiple great playoff games and nice collection of clutch three pointers. He's a reliable defender and doesn't make many dumb mistakes and is a stable locker room guy.

I swear this whole sub has never shown this dude the respect he deserves smh

Guy starts the season off a bit rusty, then a few scrubs (who I like btw) have a few good games and now he's being talked about as expendable? Ridiculous

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you won due to EG doing his thing moving him would be the wrong thing to do. You don't want to be like Dallas and blow up a championship core for no reason.

EG is around the same age as WB and Harden. The only time you trade him away is when the window has closed and you are ready to blow it up.

HP3 likes this.
  7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Rockets fell for the banana and the tailpipe. He’s done.

Got his extension, got knee surgery, and a trade kicker, lmao.

Like the divorce of NBA contracts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ben and Chris are hungry for success, obviously, haven't played that much in the league.

Having moar Fun!

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Looking forward to next offseason, I think yes. I always believed it's just a confidence issue for McLemore, and he's never played in any system that fits his style. As long as D'Antoni instills confidence in him, he'll be a better option for us than Gerald Green. As for Clemons, he's an absolute stud, and his defense doesn't even worry me. If he gets the right amount of burn, he'll become one of the best 6th men in the league.

D-rock, jcmoon and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

One thing for everyone to remember is EG the past 2 years have been absolutely dog feces for months on end but around all star break something switches in him. He'd have insane numbers if pre all star break never counts.

D-rock, hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whoa, did anyone else just feel that? I think the axis of the earth just shifted :D

you know it's an impressive win when basketMAD is trying to be the voice of reason ;)

#31 Os Trigonum, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    D-rock, hakeem94, saleem and 2 others like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

This thread is like bizarro world, people i usually never agree with are making sense o_O

D-rock, hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

MDA is going to have a heck of time when EG comes back. Finding time for EG, Rivers, Ben Mac, and Clemons means 1 or 2 of the above will never see meaningful time.

Which is a shame cause Clemons personality is like Winnie the Microwave Johnson: he is always ready to shot. No need to warm up to be effective. Little dude comes in and BAM hit a 3-pointer!

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I don't think Eric Gordon will do much to fix the right wing's problems. I do think we've been extremely lucky with avoiding his injury-prone reputation. It really depends on the outcome of this season (with no more Warriors!) and who exactly is available. An Ibaka, Ariza, or Battier type? Or would we trade EG for the Warrior's lottery pick?

15. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Ben mclemore is nothing more than an end of the bench regular season time filler...for all he does on offense which is hit wide open 3 pointers -- which aren't deep -- he's giving points back on defense....please don't tell me he's a good defender though he tries...there's a reason we got him for the minimum. He's nothing close to EG.

I believe that if we don't give the lakers or clippers a good series in the playoffs EG will be shipped because he's basically our only trade asset outside of capela who now seems untradeable or less likely.

That said you only trade eric Gordon for at least a true starting caliber forward who's a two way player...I wouldn't trade EG for Robert Covington, he's got to be better than that. Jason tatum, Jaylen brown or Gordon hayward....someone of that caliber.

the fact that EG can hit that 30 foot three point shot and play very good defense on guards and hold his own on forwards is a rare thing. But because he's getting older now and has injury history you might want to deal while you can....We need to resign Austin rivers and Chris clemons along with Hartenstein at some point and you now Tilman aint paying no tax.

Yes, rivers and Chris clemons does make him tradeable, but only for the right deal. Clemons can also hit that deep 3 and plays better defense on the perimeter against quicker guards than Gordon. Clemons is better in transition and we better not trade him. He can start on a bad team for sure.

I am a big eric Gordon fan and believe he will be back to 100 percent after surgery....

its a good thing he can't be traded until this summer anyways...we need to see what we've got.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That tweet will be another + to his career when it’s all said and done. It’s not obvious now, but it will be when the kids being oppressed in HK grow up and haven’t forgotten what he did for them.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

long term ‘thing’, though. And we here tend to undervalue a valuable piece.

Plowman likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't he defend Klay pretty well? Just not consistently with other opponents.

D-rock likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry, but Ainge is not stupid enough to trade Jayson or Jaylen for Eric straight up......and Eric wouldn't be as good elsewhere as he is in Houston except this season so far......

Hayward is a possibility just because he is so darn fragile commodity....glass figurine. But again Celts would be giving up a lot.

I think Hayward averaged around 19-20 ppg before injury.

#39 daywalker02, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i get why we extended Gordon but I’m on record stating that I thought this would happen.

rivers can give u similar production, be it different than Gordon and his Highs are definitely not as high as Gordon but that’s somewhat irrelevant imo.

Gordon is a luxury but now and expensive one.

if we can flip him for a SF who can play D hit the 3ball at a decent clip and slide to PF from time to time.

rockets must make that deal.

it’s obvious that when the rockets play elite D harden by himself is good enough to beat any team.

harden is the luxury we have to keep him fresh, regardless of the shooting Russ is helping in that regard more than CP3 ever did.

and that’s no knock on cp3 we should have won a title with him if he didn’t get hurt.

Personally I think the biggest deal for this team is actually not playing small and keeping a true 7ft guy on the court.

I love Nene but chandler is just so much better as a backup to Clint and Harty looked decent last night.

no more PJ at center please.

Hakeemtheking, D-rock and Plowman like this.