1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Same but what's concerning is this happened in August and it said it was to get ready for the playoffs. They wouldn't do it for the final 2 months to cheat. They probably wanted to practice and get it perfect for the playoffs.

SS0101 likes this.
  2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

This new information could be very damning to the Astros if they lied to MLB officials during the recent investigation and interviews. If the Astros, were asked directly about emails or communications about cameras but denied it...oops!

3. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I know. I know. I am fully expecting the worst. Nothing at this point will shock me.

I think punishments still have to be weighed carefully by MLB. Just bc if they are too harsh it could lead to negative effects on the entire league. But, I do expect a lifetime ban of luhnow. Not sure how far they would take it with Hinch. We will be crippled with draft pick and international pool money like never before seen as well. Organization can expect record breaking fine as well. They will draw the line at anything to do with players. Last thing MLB wants is to disgruntled players to the point of snitching on others and this whole thing exploding/expanding into multiple teams

4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Well here's hoping they said yeah we did bring up cameras but in the end, we never went through with it (with a straight face. I would be the worst liar. Nice try you liar. This investigation is over).

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Saw a tweet with hearings of a death penalty.... I mean, what did st louis get after the hacking? If we get worse than that, Id be pissed. What they did far outweighs something A LOT of teams probably do.

6. tx2005

tx2005 Member

I HIGHLY doubt that Major League Baseball is willing to lose all the revenue from an entire season over this. That would be utterly insane to me.

They might as well force Crane to sell and the franchise be relocated at that point.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

$2 million fine
    Cardinals forfeited their first two picks in the 2017 draft
    Chris Correa sentenced to 46 months in prison & banned for life

[​IMG]

htwnbandit and donkeypunch like this.
  8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Damnit. This is incredibly disappointing.

I don't even know what the punishment could be in a case like this. The MLB HAS to take a stand here. It would be hard to argue with any punishment at this point.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Didn’t we already know they cheated? I mean an email is stupid but eventually the Astros are going to admit something. Of course they also stole signs nefariously in the playoffs. I’m sure that happened. It’s possible the Astros were better at this than other teams but this **** is MLB rampant.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Fiers told us what happened like 5 days ago.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

I know exactly how Trump supoorters sound now. Some of you guys in this thread doubting all this and spinning it as some conspiracy need to get a clue. Its time for damage control. Crane needs to do some cleaning BEFORE the reports come out by MLB.

I don't blame the snitches but rather the team. If you about to kill someone you dont tell your distant relatives do you. They should have kept a small circle of people they trusted. Rule #1 of any crime

elrond, htwnbandit and Major like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Eh - people keep saying this but no one has any evidence. As of now, it's just a way to minimize what the Astros are accused of without any factual support. There are hundreds of players/executives that have moved on from other teams or might hold grudges, etc. Yet it seems (so far) all the specifics only involve the Astros - and while Fiers might hate the Astros for some reason, people like Danny Farquar have no reason to specifically target them. And the whole "people are jealous of success" thing is silly as well - Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees, etc all have similar success and plenty of people have reason to dislike them too. This all suggests whatever the Astros were doing might just be more significant than what anyone else was doing.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks really bad when an executive is telling scouts to use cameras to steal signs.

This has erupted nationally, there will be blood

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When you hire the same culture of people that bankrupted the county into a recession to run you baseball team you will end up with this.

astros123 and gfab-babyboi like this.
  15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I'm Canadian and I live in Canada so I'm no Trump supporter. And I'm not sure how I spun it into a conspiracy. I pointed out a fact which is scouts are allowed to go to the stands and steal signs with a binocular. I also said it's crazy after some scouts said they were disgusted, they were fired that same month. That would just add to the suspicion(if you won't do it, we'llfind someone that will). Now it's possible after they fired the scouts, they could have gotten someone else to do it. Possibly the guy from last years playoffs after Boston complained (with a warning from Cleveland). Although Houston was cleared but the accusations were the same as this situation I believe

#415 punkoholic, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Get the political trash out of this sub forum. Take it to the D@D. Nobody wants to read it

sew and donkeypunch like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don’t be such a snowflake

astros123 likes this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

I never said you were a Trump supporter. I was just making a comparison because Trump could literally kill a baby and his people would still worship him.

The Astros need to for once get ahead of the situation while they can. The music has stopped playing and its about to get REAL quiet. Crane needs to come out with a statement and lay off multiple people and say hes working alongside the investigation. Whether you guys like it or not this will implode. First rule in business is playing defense while you spin the story is MUCH BETTER. I have alot of expierence with containment and risk management.

DO IT CRANE.

htwnbandit and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  19. cardpire

cardpire Member

will be great if hinch is banned from baseball. if they want to punish them for this they should force them to keep hinch for next 20 years

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'll say this, and i understand there's a certain degree of bias in my views, but i'm trying to separate myself from it, and i think if this in the same vein as patriots spygate and deflate gate (which nobody even cares about anymore and they continue to go on winning championships):

am i crazy for thinking this is a completely mild form of "cheating"? it makes no sense to me that you're "allowed" to "cheat" if you happen to have a runner on 2nd who can see the signs, but if you find a way to do the same thing from 200 feet further, you're disgracing the game. seems silly to me, and just the newest thing people want to get up in arms about after already flipping out and hating us over acquiring a DV accusee and then a benign comment that an executive made towards a nuisance reporter.

that all said, i'm giddy that there's a path to keeping the same team while firing hinch. should win the chip next year if so. luhnow was great, but not much GM'ing needed for our window.

jklb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.