1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astros123

astros123 Member

He can be neutral and still wanna make money. He sells a few hundread of them he made a few grand. Jom boy always gave the Stros a bunch of respect throughout the season. Ive been following Jom boy since he started his youtube and he's actually a great fan of baseball. Business is business. Get your feelings out of it.

2. dmoneybangbang

Sports is more than business, otherwise there wouldn't be so many fan sites....

Jomboy's video evidence is laughable and he is profiting off chaos, which seems to be the en vogue thing right now.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My feelings are out of it, are yours? You seem pretty adamant in his defense.

All I said is it isn't a good look. You don't see reporters sell merchandise on their breaking reports. I don't care if he wants to make money off of it, it's not a good look. As if making money absolves whether you should do a thing or not.

King1 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What a dbag

gatsby, whiskeyred, msn and 1 other person like this.
  5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If everyone is doing it...is it still a “scandal”?

UTSA2step, msn and IowaAstro like this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

First you gotta find someone willing to rat out these other teams before you can claim they're doing it.

That's the key difference. Most players arent willing to do what Fier is doing. Even if they know of some form of cheating by their team

7. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

I am not saying Fiers is lying, but how does this guy have any credibility? He is a pitcher for a division rival that has finished in 2nd place two years in a row. He was salty about being left off the playoff roster here, and never said a word about anything for two years. I am not saying that was an illegal substance clearly in his glove during his no hitter, but I am sure he is all about the integrity of the game. How the hell does Fiers word mean more than Beltrans?

Rock Block likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Welp that sums it up. I guess take down the banners and return the rings. 93' 94 94' 95' Rockets the only legit championships again.

9. Poloshirtbandit

We have to forfeit those too because no Jordan.

lnchan, htwnbandit and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Its okay. We still have the Comets to fall back on.

11. theimpossibles1

Something something transgender something.

htwnbandit likes this.
  12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would actually be good if someone would rat out another team for the Astros. Might lower the punishment if they could get some conclusive evidence of others doing it.

htwnbandit likes this.
  13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

There's enough smoke that this was/is a league wide problem, Ken Rosenthal's original story alluded to such a problem. It's been Astros centric thanks to Fiers. I could see the league working a "plea deal" with all or most teams. Come clean now and there will be an undisclosed fine similar to what the Red Sox and Yankees got in 2017 and a blanket statement issued. Severe punishment, including yearlong suspensions for anyone caught lying now or cheating in the future.

#373 marks0223, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    King1 likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been tied up with too many other things to deal with this "scandal" but I hope people will point out out that in 2017 the Stros had a better road record than home record. They won 53 games on the road and 48 games at home. Yes they did win all of the ALCS home games but still lost a game during the 2017 WS and clinched on the road. Also one of the games won at home was the 13 12 extra innings game. Hardly a game where either team appeared to have a decisive advantage that could've been given by stealing signs.

htwnbandit likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

They ain't us, so they try to taint us.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You know Manfred is PISSED we’ve knocked out the yankees twice. This is great cover (even if fake, doesn’t matter, or even if everyone does it) to hurt the Astros.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Statement from the Commisioner's Office regarding the Red Sox/Yankees investigation in 2017:

"At the outset, it is important to understand that the attempt to decode signs being used by an opposing catcher is not a violation of any Major League Baseball Rule or Regulation. Major League Baseball Regulations do, however, prohibit the use of electronic equipment during games and state that no such equipment 'may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage."

This a bit ridiculous. You can cheat, but only in a certain way! It's like a teacher writing the answers to a test on the board in small print. It's ok if you get up from your seat and get closer to view the answers, but you can't stay in your seat and take a picture on your phone and zoom in. Either way you get the answers, which are on full display.

As long as you're not committing a criminal act by hacking systems and tapping communications, then just embrace technology already.

phasors28 likes this.
  18. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Great post. So if the Astros stole the signs via non electronic means and then used whistling or banging to communicate to the hitter, it legal?

htwnbandit and AznH-TownFan like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Like I've said before, the US men's soccer team has to start a spy program. You laughed at me then, talking about youth academies and other various strategies, and what not, but it does work. That gap closes with intelligence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.