1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PTI: Rockets contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ths balla, Mar 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Great post Declan. I think your observation about there being a microscope on the league's officiating if Yao is in the playoffs is spot on. At first guys will try to manhandle him even worse than they do already.

If the refs don't keep that in check, it's hard to imagine fans around the world not asking for the league to take a look at it. If god forbid he were to get injured on a cheap play, it might even lead officials in the Chinese government to question what the NBA is doing and lord knows Stern doesn't want bad relations with them. Jesus, they pulled all Miami and Clippers game from broadcast in China simply because of the signing of Wang.

Anyway, I think it will be a great thing for the future of the NBA when Shaq's treatment under the basket isn't universalized to every other big man, but most especially to Yao.

2. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Here's the thing people have been saying all year about the Rockets style of play -- that defense wins in the postseason. Look at Dallas, where has not playing defense gotten them? Look at Sacto, have they won a Western Conference title?

ANY team will HATE playing Houston, because the Rockets FORCE teams to grind it out on BOTH ends of the floor. Our other big rival defensively, the Spurs, can feature at times a softer, guard oriented offense.

Houston, however, is more and more becoming an inside-out team, the kind we had with Hakeem, that FORCES teams to play tough defense. IE: Cato out to the top of the key to set a pick, rolls off that pick, and the defense collapses on the closing guard...ALLEY OOP CATO.

Not only does this style of offense create fouls and easy baskets, it takes up time, and opponents ENERGY. One could even say that a big factor to our terrific defense this season is due to our slow-paced, pick-and-roll offense, that wears down opponents energy.

Add that with a pretty formidable low-post defender, lightning quick guards (with the exception of Mark "Molasses" Jackson), and a backup center to be rivalled by any team, and you have a deadly first round opponent, and more importantly, one that matches up unfavorably with any team that attempts to slow down thier offense -- because inevitably, they will hit a little roadbump called the Rockets Defense.

The two teams most guilty of this are the two teams which we are most likely to play in the first round -- the Timberwolves and the Lakers -- and are both equally adept at getting trapped in a double team, or letting thier PF take a three pointer in the last seconds of them game when he is guarded like white on Yao Ming, as it were.

So the prospects for the first round look good for the Rockets. Let's freeze the playoff picture as it is right now:

1 Sacramento Kings
    2 Minnesota Timberwolves (-2.5)
    3 San Antonio Spurs (-4.5)
    4 Los Angeles Lakers (-5.5)
    5 Dallas Mavericks (-6.5)
    6 Memphis Grizzlies (-7.5)
    7 Houston Rockets (-10)
    8 Denver Nuggets (-14)

Regardless of what happens from the 3-6th seed, it looks like Houston will play Minnesota in the first round, which is a good thing because we lead the season series 2-1, and embarrassed them on national tv earlier this season.

Unfortunately, we'll be playing the Kings after the first round, the kind of high-scoring, jump shooting team that give the Rockets fits..but we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

What I meant to point out with that quote is that we would play the winner of the Spurs/Grizz series, also not the best draw for us.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One thing that occured to me that could help the Rockets in the first round is that it's 7 games now. Earlier I mentioned the '86 playoff series with the Lakers. They just clobbered us in LA in the first game. Just wiped the floor with us. We were written off for dead... then we win 4 straight and just play incredible ball against a great team with a great coach to eliminate them. Riley kept scribbling on his blackboard, "Contain Akeem!" and they couldn't do it. There was another player who stepped up every game as well, which has been what we've been seeing lately.

That's why I think it'll be an advantage to play 7 games. It may take a game or two to find our way. With 7 games you have more time for getting used to playing at that playoff level. I want someone like Flip Saunders writing, "Contain Yao!" on the blackboard and watching helplessly while they fail to do it.

6. Tim

Tim Member

Actually, the winner of the 2-7 matchup plays the winner of the 3-6 matchup, which would be Spurs/Grizzlies if the standings hold.

Tim

7. pcheung

pcheung Member

Tim, you aren't a... gasp... fan, are you? ;)

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

If the team gets on a win streak, builds tremendous momentum, and "peaks" during the first playoff series, then the Rockets could be scary. But if they get beat by the Clippers, back-slide into old habits, get on a losing streak and fall backward into the playoffs, they will be a quick exit. Character. Character. Character. Do they have it? We are about to find out.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Excellent post declan. Very insightful.

...and I haven't seen a thacabbage post in ages...

...and Tim, too

I have said this for the last two years, no one will want to play this team come playoff time.

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I think Tim is just a cold cruel emotionless businessman who works for the Rockets in order to maximize the financial profit for Les and himself. The only reason he comes to this fan forum is to gather informations to improve their business. Wins and losses by the Rockets doens't mean jack squat to him. Right Tim? ;)

11. Tim

Tim Member

I'm yelling and screaming as loud as anyone out there. I don't see how anyone can put as much time as most people here put into the organization and not get caught up in the games emotionally. And, like many here, I was a sports fan long before I worked in the sports industry.

That said, the professional side of me gets really juiced about seeing a sellout crowd and a well-executed game presentation that gets fans involved. I also get pumped up when I see an usher really take good care of someone or when I see a group manning a concession stand that really has their act together. Or when I see people getting excited about buying jerseys at the team store. All of it contributes to a better fan experience.

Tim

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

It's great to see you get pumped up Tim, thanks for taking the time to share. Thanks for the kind words guys.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Tim, did you see the pic of my newborn son in the Yao jersey?

Priceless.

14. pcheung

pcheung Member

Actually, $39.95 + tax but who's counting? ;)