1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solved: What We Need to Win The Championship This Year!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FANfrom86toNow, Nov 4, 2019.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

TLDR early summary: Trade CC, Nene, Frazier, and Clark along with and while using our trade exceptions to bring in extra salary to trade, along with FRP(s), seconds, and cash if we have any, for Love, Noel and Okafor. Change rotations and minutes to suit MDA’s needs. Our small ball closing lineup that MDA will continue to go to becomes Russ-Harden-Gordon (I prefer House)-Tucker-Love. The defense will not be top 10 this year anyway, so we should give Harden and Russ a 5 that can actually shoot 3 pointers but still rebound. While Love is not a great defensive player, he is still a great rebounder and 3 point 40% shooter as a small ball 5.

Long Version:

Trade CC ($14.9m) plus (Clark & Frazier) ($2.8m) plus salary filler ($8.3m), plus a FRP (and a 2nd RP also if necessary) for Kevin Love. For what it’s worth, I never wanted to move CC until now. But with Russ here and his 3 point shooting, we have to have a 5 that can shoot the 3 at a high percentage, rebound, pass and has some size/weight when MDA goes to small ball to close out quarters and games, as he will surely continue to do! Tucker just won’t do as that 5.

Pick up salary filler by using trade exceptions to acquire players (3.6m <Thon Maker-Detroit, Allonzo Trier-NY>, 3.2m <Yogi Ferrel – Sac> 1.5m <D. Melton- Mem> = 8.3m total), or

Sign and trade either Shump or Faried for the extra 8+ million needed (can they be signed and traded immediately?)

Using the ESPN trade machine, I used PJ in the salary to show where the trade exception players or sign and trade Shump or Faried would be used to make the trade work.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3s527tb

Then we need to trade Nene for Jalil Okafor, salaries match but NO will need to be enticed to give him up, so hopefully a second RP or two, plus cash if we have it, will do it. If not, find a similar player elsewhere.

Next we need to try to take in Nerlens Noel (1.6m = James Ennis TE) into our other available trade exception to keep, from OKC to help them save salary to get out of the tax (assuming they still need to).

Then our roster is:

Russ – Rivers – Clemons
    Harden – Gordon – McClemore
    Tucker – House – Sefolosha
    Love – Noel – Anderson
    Chandler – Okafor – Hartenstein

Now we know MDA is going to play small ball during crunch time, so let’s build out the minutes to suit his style and personality because as long as he is coach, it WON’T change:

Minute distribution:

Russ – 34
    Harden – 36
    Tucker – 32
    Love – 32
    Chandler – 12
    Gordon – 30
    House – 24
    Okafor – 18
    Rivers – 12
    Noel – 10

240 minutes/game

Now we need MDA to use rotations that make sense, help our weaknesses, but that still pleases his need to play small ball in crunch time. The only way to do this successfully is to preplan and stick to it, because we all know that MDA is not an in game great adjustment coach. So here are my suggestions:

1st & 3rd Quarters:

PG – Russ (5 minutes), Gordon (4 minutes), Russ (3 minutes) = 12 minutes
    SG – Harden (9 minutes), Rivers (3 minutes) = 12 minutes
    SF – Tucker (4 minutes), House (6 minutes), Gordon (2 minutes) = 12 minutes
    PF – Love (4 minutes), Tucker (4 minutes), Noel (4 minutes) = 12 minutes
    C – Chandler (3 minutes), Okafor (4.5 minutes), Love (4.5 minutes) = 12 minutes

2nd & 4th Quarters:

PG – Russ (5 minutes), Rivers (3 minutes), Russ (6 minutes) = 12 minutes
    SG – Gordon (3 minutes), Harden (9 minutes) = 12 minutes
    SF – House (6 minutes), Gordon (1 minutes), Gordon (5 minutes) = 12 minutes
    PF – Noel (1 minutes), Love (3 minutes), Tucker (8 minutes) = 12 minutes
    C – Chandler (3 minutes), Okafor (4.5 minutes), Love (4.5 minutes) = 12 minutes

Different Lineups 1st and 3rd Quarters:

Russ Harden Tucker Love Chandler = 3 minutes
    Russ Harden Tucker Love Okafor = 1 minute
    Russ Harden House Tucker Okafor = 1 minute
    Harden Gordon House Tucker Okafor = 2.5 minutes
    Harden Gordon House Tucker Love = .5 minutes
    Harden Gordon House Noel Love = 1 minutes
    Russ Rivers House Noel Love = 1 minutes
    Russ Rivers Gordon Noel Love = 2 minutes
    = 12 minutes total

Different Lineups 2nd and 4th Quarters:

Russ Gordon House Noel Chandler = 1 minute
    Russ Gordon House Love Chandler = 2 minutes
    Harden Rivers House Love Okafor = 1 minute
    Harden Rivers House Tucker Okafor = 2 minutes
    Russ Harden Gordon Tucker Okafor = 1.5 minutes
    Russ Harden Gordon Tucker Love = 4.5 minutes
    = 12 minutes total

For injuries, fouls or other situations where you need to play different players, you still have Clemons, McClemore, Thabo, Anderson and Hartenstein.

In fact based on this current season I would play Clemons most of Rivers minutes until Rivers shows that he can consistently contribute like he did in spurts last year. When Ego is like 0 for 4, 5, I would play McClemore for the rest of his minutes because I have never seen Ego become hot once he has a bad start. He may hit 1 to 3 pointers a game after that, but his percentages will stay trash for that game. Times where we need more shooting than athleticism, I would play Anderson in Noel’s minutes so that we have another floor spacer. I would play Thabo when House or Tucker is in foul trouble or stinking it up out there.

This is Russ and Harden’s best chance to win a championship this year. They are both over 30 and it’s reasonable to assume that they will not get much better than they will be this year and maybe next year, even if they stay the same for a couple of more years…but we know that in 99% of cases father time wins in the short run, or at worst in the long run. Love is 31 on a 4 year deal, but we are trying to win THIS year, or at worst next year…or this Harden era for a Championship may be over for good as new players and teams emerge as better competition.

So if Tilman is ever going to pay the tax, he better do it this year and next to try to win it all. If it doesn’t work out, he can get out of the luxury tax by trading Harden, Russ or Love in the last 1 or 2 years of their contract to save his money and start the rebuild. Harden and Russ need a #3 man and because of MDA loving small ball TOO MUCH, the only logical choice is LOVE because teams will have to stay on him and honor his 3 point shoot. Currently teams can back off of Capela and Russ, that’s too much.

And we also need to trash the all switching defense. I would rather them play a solid mixed man/zone defense that focuses on no layups and no corner 3s, and forcing teams into midrange or long 3 point shots. Our team should stop guarding teams/players at the high arch or 4 feet beyond the 3 point line unless it's individual players like Curry, Lillard or Trae. Then you just have to have hustle and energy for the transition defense to get in place!

And I know, random trade idea…….but it’s also about strategy and rotations and minutes, not just a random trade. ;)

FLAME AWAY! :D

2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I seriously think CC has on going health issues after recovering from those viruses.. Give him a bit more time.

Lawlruschang and hakeem94 like this.
  3. FANfrom86toNow

I hope what you are saying isn't true, but even if he does, the bottom line is that MDA is not going to play him most of the time down the stretch if we need points. MDA has consistently shown this. I would like CC to be stronger on box outs and dunk the ball more instead of going for layups which he always misses, but I would be fine with him as is playing 35 minutes a game. If he was playing 35 minutes a game, he would average 18 and 12 or better and that is sufficient for what we need out of the position at his price tage. The problem is MDA will never play him that much consistently no matter what because he loves small ball in close games. And we lose on rebounding and post ups against us....hence Love would be better to use with Tucker at the 4 instead of small ball Tuckerwagon 5. IMHO

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I don't know if that is the answer, but I appreciate the time you put into that.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditto, but . . . seems like a random trade idea. This was what tipped me off: "Trade CC ($14.9m) plus (Clark & Frazier) ($2.8m) plus salary filler ($8.3m), plus a FRP (and a 2nd RP also if necessary) for Kevin Love." :D

Bo6, Richie_Rich, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  6. slapyomoma

slapyomoma Member

Nothing you said before or after this statement matters. Rockets will continue to win enough games to be 1-3 seed and get their asses handed to them after the first round or when they encounter either a coach that knows what he's doing or a team with a defense. Until this guy changes his coaching strategy or we get a new coach Rockets WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. So doesn't matter if you bring in Hakeem, Tim Duncan, Jordan, Bird and Magic all in their prime. The best this team will ever do with MDA as coach is to have the best record in the league.

lw17 likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

what kinda flu takes away a 3pt shot?

Ubiquitin, hvic and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think Love is the answer as this team's struggle/weakness is preventing the opposition from scoring and not scoring entirely. If I'm moving Capela, it'd have to be for plus defenders regardless of position.

9. FANfrom86toNow

I get that point of view, but we can't deny that Love is still a rebounding machine, and as a team we suck at rebounding. That alone, rebounding and this reducing second chance points, is just as good as getting a good defense player. Players like Kawhi and PG aren't available at all or with what we have to offer. Plus, other than rebounding, our main defensive problem is strategy and effort, not just who's on the roster. imho

MrSabotage likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This feels like a random trade.

MorningZippo and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. FANfrom86toNow

My point of view is that MDA's biggest weaknesses are his undying love(pun intended) of small ball, and his inability to coach defense. My two solutions are to get Love to be his small ball 5 because of the reasons already mentioned, moving Tucker to small ball 4 permanently. Doing these two things helps MDA to POSSIBLY win a championship.

We still have to recent MVP's, so once the team starts to play better, we will always have a punchers chance even without changes.

12. FANfrom86toNow

Nope! It's a random trade, rotations, minutes, and defensive strategy change thread. :cool:

MultipleSauces and leangle25 like this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We were 28th in the league last year at 42.1 rpg. After 6 games, we're at 44 rpg which is actually good for 20th right now. Is it something to hang our hat on? Probably not but there are teams with impressive records right now that aren't rebounding all that well either like the Wolves ( 46.2, 15th) Lakers (45.2, 17th), Nuggets (45, 18th), etc.

I'm not dismissing rebounding as an issue but it's not the one I would put priority over everything else. Am I asking for a Kawhi or PG in return for Capela? Far from it but that shouldn't stop us from trying to get good defensive players on this team. I guess I'm taken aback by your assessment that our main defensive problem is strategy and effort and not the roster. This roster has negative defenders all around with the exception of PJ. When this team had above average defenders it actually played great defense. It's just that simple.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not buying it. You've got good bullshit, but never **** a shitter.

Plowman and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It doesn't take that long to recover from a respiratory virus for a normal, healthy individual. Unless they underplayed his illness, this is just Clint sucking - mainly on defense.

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. FANfrom86toNow

I agree with most of what you said, except that I think strategy and effort are a huge problem. By that I mean a coach should use a strategy that works best for the players that he has, not what he wants. If you don't have the players to run a particular defensive strategy effectively, while that may be a better defense theoretically, it's not the best defense to use for the current team. And effort is all about coaching (well of course players first), but the coach should be willing to sit anyone, including superstars, that don't give effort on defense. Lack of ability is one thing, you can't fault a person for that. Lack of effort should have consequences on playing time.

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The only question I had while looking at this (bc it was too long of a post to read completely) was how long did it take you to write this?

19. FANfrom86toNow

Lol, started this while watching the Miami debacle. Pretty much finished it before the game was over, but left it and didn't decide to post it until today when I added a few final thoughts.

BigShasta likes this.
  20. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

According to Eg we just need to have fun.

Ubiquitin likes this.