1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This defense really is atrocious, bottom-of-the-league level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Nov 2, 2019.

1. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Harden, which is far more concerning.

2. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Clint

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dunno if we watched the same teams play in the last two games or not …. The team I watched game up a ton of uncontested 3's.

The Wizards shot .556 from the 3 point line!

The Nets ….. .594.

Nobody shoots that type of percentage from 3 on contested shots.

That aint luck , its piss poor defense.

Gray_Jay, smp, BasketMAD and 3 others like this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I read the post and agree with your point, but people are just asking for paragraphs. It's easier on the eyes.

Trying to read through a wall of text makes most just say screw it and then the points you are trying to make never get seen.

Just hitting the return key a couple of times makes a huge difference.

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

BasketMAD: I don’t understand advanced metrics and I’m knee jerking 5 games into the season. But y’all are simpletons!

Let’s see how this thread ages...

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and the statistics provided werent about 2 last games ..the numbers refered to the entire season so far

HP3 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

couple of games or even 6 games is a definition of small sample size that is of luck

HP3 and BeBreezy like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean it's like 150 words. That's a reasonable sized paragraph.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Looks like a wall of text.

It was just a suggestion if he cares about people reading his post which I’m assuming he does since he started a thread. On a forum it can be hard on the eyes to read blocks of texts like that. That’s the entire point. This isn’t Microsoft word. 150 word paragraphs there don’t read the same as a message board.

But by all means if hitting the return button a couple of times is the hill guys want to die on go ahead.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

It's only 5 games into the season, but to me we should be worried about Eric's performance right now above everyone else's.

Gray_Jay, HP3, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "We talking 'bout 5 games? Five games? How long is the season?"

12. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

I just think the pace has to play a big role of this mess. We changed from the slowest team to the fastest team in the league.
    Harden, EG and Capella seems having difficulty adapting to the new pace. We are bad at transition defense. Our guys are old and don't know if they can sustain a season of run and gun. Don't understand why we are playing such an insane pace. WB is the only guy benefiting from this.

13. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Harden is the worst defender on the team right now by far, followed by Eric Gordon. Clint isn't as big of a problem.

14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

My criticisms about last year's team aged pretty well. So, let's see, indeed.

15. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I don't see the problem with it. It looks like a paragraph to me, but that's fair. I'll do that next time since I can't edit it anymore.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I went back to the Washington game and gone through each possession to see how many lucky shots they've hit against us to score 158 points. (FT and fouls obviously excluded)

I separated field goals into 3 sections: 3s, layups and mid range and each section into 4 categories: No Contest, light contest, regular contest and heavy contest. Obviously the line between light contest and regular contest is blurred and these are subjective so take it what you will. I define No contest as a shot with no defender within 3 feet.(if there is a defender but no hands up, still uncontested) Light contest as a shot defended late or not alot of opposition. Regular Contest as a shot generally over a defender. And Heavy Contest as a difficult shot that could be off balanced, rushed, or with contact.

3s given up
    No contest: 3
    Light Contest: 6
    Regular Contest: 9
    Heavy Contest: 2

Layups given up
    No Contest: 14
    Light Contest: 6
    Regular Contest: 4
    Heavy Contest: 2

Mid Range given up
    No Contest: 0
    Light Contest: 1
    Regular Contest: 8
    Heavy Contest: 1

To my surprise we actually didn't give up a ton of open 3s. They were generally somewhat contested. Just shots that you shrug your shoulders and move on; a few of them quite tough. As far as mid range go, its obvious that this is a shot NBA coaches dont want. Its usually a last resort play that the ball handler go to to beat the shot clock. These shots tend to be well contested almost all the time.

HOWEVER we did give up a crap load of uncontested layups or lightly contested layups. 20 of them infact. Thats 40 points in the paint that is generally not contested. No wonder they shot 63% on the field against us. Its a combination of factors. Guys ball watching, not paying attention. Perimeter defender getting blown by and no help. Defensive break down; not knowing when to switch, etc

In conclusion: Our defense is epic bad because we give up a ridiculous amount of points in the paint that is generally uncontested.

17. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Interesting to see what happens when you fire all of your defensive coaches

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Facts say ego
    Haters say harden

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He has stretches like this all the time. There's nothing that unusual about this.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

You weren’t right about jack. You just complained whenever you could.