1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Means War

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AntiSonic, Mar 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Summer is just around the corner, so wasps, jellowjackets, and hornets will soon be out in FULL FORCE. :(

I am going to do my damndest to put a serious dent in the local population this year. Anyone have any reccomendations?

- Good repellants/killers?
    - Animals that prey on them?

I'm also thinking about getting one of those heavy duty electric bug death lamps. Anyone ever find any charred wasp remains in those?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It feels like summer has already started. It is damn hot.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I dont know about any repellents but this one summer a long time ago me and my friends were playing baseball in this field and we found this bees nest that was underground and bees would come out of this little hole 1 by 1, so we got those big red plastic wiffle ball bats and took turns hitting them, was so great and entertaining at the time.

4. Fatty FatBastard

I agree. Nothing is better than smashing the hell out of 'em.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer always works well. I spray it all round my house on bushes and everything and only see about one or two stingers a year but this year it will probably be worse because we didn't have a really cold winter. I'm with you though, kill all the bastards! :mad:

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My grandmaother used to use an old broom, wrap newspaper around the end and set it on fire. You shove the burning mess up under the eaves into a yellow jacket nest and they just go up in flames. Ah, the memories of childhood!

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The one thing I dont miss form Houston/Texas is the insects including the bees wasps hornets, and those god damned fire ants...

In Richmond, Va. I see maybe one or two of those the whole summer long.... its awesome, and no ant hills...

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yellow jackets are alien devils - i'm sure of it. :eek:

9. Lil Pun

Make sure if you do kill any type of wasp, hornet, or yellowjacket that you get rid of it fast. When they are attacked they let out a pheremone that tells others to come and help. They even let it out when they're dead.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Once when I was about 8 my friend Tyler and I found a wasp's nest insides of an old lawnmower. We shot the hell out of that nest with his bb gun.

Tyler won by shooting one of the wasps right out of the sky. That was so cool.

I've always found those cans that spray the poison 15 feet or so to be really effective. I remember having the clean the gutters out of my parents' garage and finding around 5 nests in there. I think I used a whole can on those stupid gutters. Owie.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yeah, the stuff in the green can. Cant think of the name.

That stuff kills on contact and the residual allows you enough time to go get the nest out.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

all of the above suck major arse. i remember sitting down and eating at one of my mom's company picnics when i was a kid and a bee flying into my ear. stung the hell out of me. :mad: traumatized ever since.

heheh! what is it with grandmothers and fire? my grandmother that lives in wichita falls, tx used to kill fire ant beds by pouring gas the beds and setting them on fire. weird, but effective i guess. :confused:

#12 OmegaSupreme, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

hey, let's spray more chemicals in the air..that's the ticket.

Not saying you should have to deal with these guys, but surely there are some natural solutions. Just htink if you are somebody doing this and are the type to complain about Bush's environmental policies (oil, etc.), then you are a hypocrite.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hippy.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What's the big deal, it's only poison!

Of course, I haven't had to deal with this crap since I moved to the CIt-TAY!!! Gyeah.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Gawd I hate those red hornets, and fire ants. Damn them all!!:mad:

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Get a honey badger....they'll eat up all the bee/wasp nests in no time.

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

[​IMG]

As I peer out my window at the falling snow.

:(

19. Lil Pun

I'll have one imported from Africa immediately!

20. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Ortho Wasp/ flying insect killer works great. I use about three or four cans every summer. As for the underground yellowjacket nests, I was mowing my field in my tractor (with the mowing attachment like you see on side of the interstate with the DOT) when I guess I rolled over one. Little bastards stung the bejesus out of me. I came back with some gasoline and a sharpened broomstick, punctured the nest, poured the gasoline and and lit it on fire. The little bastards didn't know what hit 'em.