1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

The Greinke we traded for ain't showing up.

Houston sports. Today the championship will be lost

2. Little Ray

Little Ray Member

See this is why we can’t win we have ******* fans. Another poster boy champ.. here’s your medal.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Everyone for the Nats will be available, but I'd be shocked if they went to Strasburg. I know something like that has happened before(Randy Johnson in the 9th inning of Game 7 of the 2001 World Series after pitching in Game 6), but that would be a serious indictment of the Nats bullpen by Martinez.

Honestly, the pitching is a wash. If Scherzer isn't himself tonight, the Nats have plenty of other starters they can turn to out of the bullpen. If Greinke struggles or limits the runs but can still only get through 4(which has been the trend with him this postseason), Hinch can go to Urquidy and Cole before he even gets to Harris or Smith or Osuna.

The key is gonna be the Astros offense. Will they finally show up at home in this series? They've basically done the same thing every game at MMP. Strike early in the first and then pretty much get shut down the rest of the way. And they've been steadily getting worse. We've gone from 4 runs to 3 runs to only 2 last night. And even worse, we never got the pitch count up on their starter in Game 6, so he was able to last into the 9th.

everyday eddie and LonghornFan like this.
  4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Page 500 and this is the only post I see besides Counts. 2 are missing? Perfecto.

5. Stros66

Stros66 Member

What frustrates me is he’ll get ahead only to walk them. He couldn’t get that third strike. If he was pitching a team full of Correa he would of looked great.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't think I'd be saying this but I actually feel more confident tonight in Greinke than I did with JV going last night. JV has failed in every close out game opportunity and he just looks like he gets too amped to be as effective as he could be. Greinke is emotionless out there and doesn't get too up or down so that's the kind of demeanor in this situation that could be effective. Scherzer being a couple of days removed from not being able to dress himself could be had and then getting into their bullpen could set the team up for finally finishing this thing off. So overall it's some optimism that the Astros have a good chance to get this thing done.

7. Elienator

Elienator Member

The Nationals are good. All the Astros pitchers have had trouble striking them out, even Cole.

Greinke has the best k/9ip of all our starters against them if that makes you feel any better ahead of tonight’s game.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

If I would have told you at the beginning of the year that we'd be in game 7 of the World Series at home we'd all be excited as heck to have this opportunity. However that's all it is......an opportunity.

Bats need to show up tonight!!!

Greinke 3 IP
    Urquidy 2
    Cole 1
    Smith 1
    Harris 1
    Osuna 1

CARPE DIEM!!!!!!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Today is...the walking dead.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

For me, it's more that I feel more confident in Greinke vs Scherzer than Verlander vs Strasburg. I mean, Game 6 followed an almost identical pattern as Game 2. The only difference was Verlander was pulled a little sooner and Bregman didn't make any errors(in part thanks to that interference call).

Now we don't have to worry about Strasburg anymore(at most, he pitches one inning of relief and even that's doubtful). And we don't have to worry about Verlander and his bizarre inability to avoid first inning issues and win a World Series game.

What I am worried about is the offense, but I'm hoping that this is due to Strasburg. 2 of our 3 home losses in this series have been with him on the mound. We did far better against Scherzer and their bullpen in Game 1. The difference in that one was that their hitters got to Cole.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't like this game 7 feeling. This is all we have....... one game.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Does Urquidy come in right after Greinke and give us 2-3 innings? Is that hard to ask for?

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Hardly anything has gone as excepted this entire series. Very few give Greinke much faith but Crane pushed for Greinke for getting the best chance to get another ring. Greinke very well could lock down the Nats for 7 innings.

Somehow if feel like this is going extra innings and Smith gets the win.

14. Handles

Handles Member

It’s game 7, fellas. This is why we watch.

LonghornFan likes this.
  15. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Random thoughts:
    1. I'm erasing all memory, baseball wise, of whats happened in 2019. If you told me in spring training the Astros would be playing at home in Game 7 of the World Series I would've been (and am) ecstatic
    2. Verlander hate is ridiculous, stop it. He is clutch, has a dominant record in the playoffs. Will be first or second in Cy Young voting and Astros are lucky to have him.
    3. If the Nats beat the Astros 4 times in their own park, you have to tip your hat. They have to prove it though, anything else is just noise.
    4. I'm not seeing enough talk on this: This is the first game the Nats are in a position to win the World Series...ever. Astros have been here and won this game already in 2017. More importantly, they know they can win it. I think this is a huge advantage over and above everything else.
    5. Two outcomes today:
      1. Scherzer comes out Willis Reed style and shuts down the Astros, Nationals win. Media has a field day, team of destiny, blah blah. My reaction: Mute all baseball news until 2020, Astros have a bright future with many postseason runs and WS ahead with the top front office in baseball
      2. Astros prove they are a dynasty and the better team (they are), Astros win. Media has a field day, christening the Warriors of MLB, blah blah. My reaction: Yay! Astros have a bright future with many postseason runs and WS ahead with the top front office in baseball

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you would have told me there'd be a game 7 on Friday morning down 0-2.....I'd have been ecstatic.

So, this is why we traded for Greinke. Let's get it done. I'm not overly confident in the team today, but I'm not mailing it in either like some......I feel the same way I did Friday morning, which is I wouldn't be surprised with the outcome of the series. On Friday, I wouldn't have been surprised to see us swept....or come back and take it to 7. We were too good to be so bad for the entire series, but we just looked so bad in the first 2 games at home.

It's just crazy, how the road team has won every time this series. Unreal.

Astros win, 5-3.

DaDakota, moonsh0t and LonghornFan like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the poor offense this series is really all about Strasburg. He pitched twice, both games @ MMP and dominated. Scherzer was barely better than JV and that game was the Springer hop to 2nd base instead of hustling to 3rd. Max should be worse theoretically due to his injury plus he's pitching a week between starts again. The offense should score 5+. Hopefully Greinke can repeat a similar Game 3. He's overwhelmed the Nats all season and we have good options in the bully without even going to Cole who said he was exhausted after Game 5. Urquidy could give 2-3 innings.

Greinke 4-5
    Urquidy 2-3
    Pressly 1
    Smith 1
    Harris 1
    Osuna 1

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Larry D Smith

Larry D Smith Member

The Verlander hate is ridiculous. If he was a FA, every GM of a contending team would be in aggressive pursuit of him. But these "fans" are so better qualified in assessing pitching quality.

19. MystikArkitect

One things for sure:

Strasburg, Rendon and Cole are going to combine for over half a billion dollars in contracts.

GotGame15 and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Considering we have 66 million over the next two years invested in JV I would think you don't pitch him. Man is 36. Don't need him blowing his arm out. If Greinke, Urquidy, Cole for a few, Harris, Osuna and Pressly can't get it done I doubt a batter or two from Verlander is the difference.

HTown2017Champs and GotGame15 like this.