1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They beat Verlander AND Cole in our house. I'd feel pretty confident going into a game knowing that. It's going to be a good game.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is no Guarantee that the Astros win tonight. The Nats have confidence because they won Games 1 and 2 at MMP. Astros need to jump on them EARLY and take the fight out of them like the did in D.C.. Put the boot on the Nats' neck early and CHOKE THEM OUT (Irony intended).

Tfor3 and lw17 like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well if it makes everyone feel better, the Astros did win Game 2 of the World Series in 2017. It's just that Verlander wasn't the winning pitcher.

BigM and Tfor3 like this.
  5. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

However this is Verlander and Cole we are talking about. 2 of the top 5 pitchers in the league. They are smart, you don't think they will adjust and learn from the first game and ultimately dcik the Walgreen Nationals?

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't even right now.

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I think if Stras and JV cancel each other out, we can get to their bullpen.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The "confidence" angle is so overplayed. Both of these teams are in the World Series for a reason... because they are really good.

It comes down to execution on the pitching side and winning ABs from the bats. That's who will win the game, not whichever team is more confident.

Houstunna and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

How many of those games did the Nats face elimination?

In case you've not seen the last 3 games- imo it proves that the first two games were flukes. Especially game one.

I think it's obvious that those two losses woke our asses up.

It ends tonight.

Book it.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Nats are certainly capable of winning two in a row.

Still the Astros have momentum, are at home and confident.

Let's wrap up the series in 6 and we can all debate who should be the WS MVP.

I have to say I am personally rooting for Yordan Alvarez to hit a couple homers and walk away with the WS MVP.

It would be the best way to end a wild post season.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One could make the case that the more confident team has lost every game so far.

RasaqBoi and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I think you can argue that. I don't know that the Astros were all that confident going into the Nationals series though....... I know we had just eliminated NY but the bats were in an all time historic slump with runners in scoring position.

It is a good point though. If we get 2-3 runs early, we could see a real effect on the field...... reminds me of the inning where the Yankees fell apart defensively against the Astros, and then the Astros fell apart against the Nationals.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We can put the theorem to the test. Which team do you think is the most confident tonight?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm sure they will. But the fact remains they beat, pretty handily, the 2 best pitchers in the AL in 2 consecutive games on the road. I have all the confidence in the world in JV and the bats to not do what they were doing in those games. But I think it's shortsighted to say that the Nats shouldn't have confidence.

I don't think they were flukes. They're a very good team. But, we're an all-time great team. I can't imagine them being able to win 2 in a row again but I see no reason for them not to feel at least a little good about themselves.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The mindset needs to be...this is game 7.

CheezeyBoy22, plates300 and Tfor3 like this.
  17. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

Uprising, Tfor3 and YOLO like this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

They weren't that good and we weren't that bad the first two games. Make no mistake - the cards spoiled them. The Nats were coming back to Washington to sweep the Astros. Very good teams don't lose 3 home games in a row in the WS.
    They are a good team that got very hot and have cooled off.
    I admit that my over confidence may be silly in retrospect if we lose tonight. But I just have a feeling it ends tonight.
    I'm also trying to speak it into existence.

Houstunna and whiskeyred like this.
  19. plates300

plates300 Member

going to the game...Leggoooo Astros!!!

JeeberD, CheezeyBoy22 and BruceAndre like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Meaningless but fun fact. If we win, we will be only the 5th expansion era team to have won multiple WS, and will surprisingly actually tie us with the other four at 2. With 3 pennants we are now 3rd among that group, and its not a small one (14 teams)

I didn't realize the younger franchises have struggled so much. I get that it takes some time to build up your base, but it still seems crazy lopsided. Either way, this will be only the 12th WS for an expansion team, over half of which started way back in the 60's.