1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook Is a clear upgrade over CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by astros123, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

Lol look at the haters In first 3 pages and then look at their recent posts in the game threads. Lol y’all switch up so quick

split41, RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

It was after this post we should have all realized WB was about to win finals mvp

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes the GOAT and its not even close, seriously

smp likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you mean ugly ass defenders and defensive scheme

a foul is a foul

they fouled harden and the refs correctly called them

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

CP3 is a better fit next to Harden, but that wasn't what we needed. WB is by far a superior finisher and scorer compared to CP3 last season. Like I said in this thread, we needed a true number 2 option and not a glorified role player. Who gives a **** about fit when you can't fulfill your primary role when Harden is resting and off because you can't even beat out a big on ISO in a 4v4 matchup? That's where CP3 was last season. Could he bounce back? Probably, he's a super smart player. Do we have time to wait and see? Maybe, maybe not. Were we willing to wait and see? The trade answered "No!"

6. smp

smp Member

He’s a Rocket now. That makes all the difference. All the Harden haters in San Francisco would switch up just as fast if Harden joined the Warriors. All the sudden the flops would become fouls!

I never thought I would be like that until I found myself cheering for Charles Barkley. At that point I realized it truly is about the uniform, not the player.

jcmoon likes this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

Lmaoooooo bunch of frauds on this forum bruh

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

of course he is...I’m sorry, but CP is WASHED

this season would’ve been a wrap before it even started if we had gone into it with Harden, an even worse CP, and the same ol’ role players

People were acting like CP still got it because he dropped 22 on the Jazz opening night saying he looked quicker and more explosive. I watched the game and saw none of that. He just so happened to be hot from 3, and he could get off his midrange because Utah likes to drop Gobert down in the paint and concede that shot off the PnR. At best, he looked the same as last season that 1st game, but the next 3 should have made it clear that he’s even more washed than last year. Look at how bad Harden’s shooting to start this season. If we had CP, I don’t think we would’ve won a single 1 of these games. Russ can reach a gear that CP simply can not anymore. CP is a highly skilled, injury prone role player at this point making max money for the next 3 years. Russ is still a bonafide star that doesn’t miss games.

split41 and Rocket_Man_2.0 like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Barkley was, at worst, an ******* on the court. He was generous with the city though. I'd probably die inside if it was Karl Malone in a Rockets jersey, who was a terrible soulless human being on and off the court.

I wouldn't be able to hate Harden. In the worst case where he's on another team, I'd complain about his arms wiggling in the air like a jellyfish against the Rockets and maybe hope for a brain fart instead of against it. Every other teams fair game tho.

smp likes this.
  10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

CP3 through 4 games: 13ppg, 3ast, 4.5rb, 36% FG, 50% 3PT

Westbrook through 3 games: 24ppg, 9.5ast, 12.5rb, 54% FG, 36% 3PT

Small sample size, but one is CLEARLY not worth a max contract. CP3 has had one game where he's looked to form as a top flight PG, but you don't pay a max to someone who gives you max production once every 4 or so games.

*edit*

Something to highlight is CP3's assist numbers. 4 games of Chris Paul starting at the 1 is enough sample size to know that if his assist numbers are down, he has lost a step or two. It's sad, and I wish he could've worked out, but Westbrook has at least 2 more seasons of play at a higher level than what CP3 is currently playing at this season.

#270 BigggReddd, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Although CP3 may be one of the best passers in history, he can not a good finish and doesn't know how to play off the ball well which is what you need next to Harden. Harden is an elite passer and play maker, and he needs someone like that Russ that is willing to finish when Harden dominates the ball.

The fact that Russ is almost averaging a triple double without getting in Harden's way is all we need need to know. Now if we can only figure out how to play defense.

hakeem94 and pr0wler like this.
  12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

how many allyoops did Paul catch from Harden? :)

I wasn't a Westbrook fan before but I damn sure am now and I'm glad we made the trade after watching CP3 and WB0 on the same court last night

13. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Yeah was a bit to sad to see a CP3 that has clearly lost a step (or two). Just looked like another decent guy on the court, rather than a perennial all-star and Top PG in the league.

smp and hakeem94 like this.
  14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Early returns are incredibly positive. The one thing the Rockets were missing the last few years was another guy who could get to the rim at will and they have found it.

That being said, still very worried about the team's perimeter defense when they play the top teams. Harden was horrendous defensively last night, just no effort or discipline on that side of the court.

15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I was excited about this trade because I thought it would be great to see Westbrook push the ball up the floor early. My biggest gripe about Harden as a point guard is that he walks the ball up the floor. This has so far worked out better than I imagined. The rockets pace has gone from 27th last year to 4th this year. When Harden and Gordon start knocking down threes, this is going to get fun.

Another big plus that I hadn't thought of is Westbrook's free throw attempts. He is 11th in the NBA at getting to the line. Having two guys going to the basket and getting fouls is a big advantage. It gets the team into the bonus quicker and gets the other team into foul trouble. They will either have to back off and give up easier shots at the rim, or send the Rockets to the line for easy points.

pr0wler, hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell ya what....let's have a wager.........

Can be for charity or Tip Jar.......

DD

17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

This ^ 100. If CP3 maintained his level of play and ability from year 1, then yes, I'd rather have CP3. CP3 was still a great defender year 1, could beat his man off the dribble, and obviously his IQ for the game is among the GOATs. The decline in year 2 was too steep though and 40 mil a year is not easy to swallow for a glorified role player who happens to be 34 years old...

pr0wler likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS IS AWESOME

pr0wler likes this.
  19. astros123

astros123 Member

Ill take that wager

20. astros123

astros123 Member

lol how stupid do you feel ?