1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't want to be freaking glad until the fourth win even though this cockroach thread makes it tempting.

If there is a "culture issue", I'd guess it's the worse of the tech bro and jock bro worlds colliding.

Talk is cheap, but hiring more women and making these caves less "sacred" and isolated would make good on the owners letter.

FWIW, I bet they'd pull the trigger with Osuna even with more women. It's all about value and wins.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently more than a few people in the head office quit when they signed Osuna. Believe it or not, people do have a line

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

40% of victims of domestic violence are men. How does that work again? "Real victims"?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/the-number-of-male-domestic-1284479771263030.html

You're about a year and a half late to the Osuna beat up his girlfriend debate. We're now in the Alyson Footer trolled Osuna and the Astros and Taubman got fired for trolling Footer debate.

raining threes and Houstunna like this.
  4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

What in the hades does this mean?

Anyway, too bad the stros succumbed to the gynocracy. Osuna was only keeping his pimp hand strong.

5. likestohypeguy

Getting high value on what the market perceived damaged goods )

BruceAndre likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love it. I'm also happy to admit that I'm all about winning. As long as Osuna didn't have a suspension upcoming i'd take the shot with him. I love my teams and take them with their ugly warts. I wan them to win at all costs ( like the worst tank job ever). I just won't try and defend a wife beater. I hope he has truly changed and regrets it though.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How the hell did he weaponize another man's domestic violence and use it to target and harass women?

See this is my issue with this whole story this makes no sense and to many reporters are filling in the gaps to score points on a hot topic issue.

Taubman said nothing about DV and yes these reporters pushing this narrative are being very misleading.

Bearded13 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He did not get in face of anybody.

This is why this story has legs people are creating different scenarios.

Bearded13 and raining threes like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just randomly in public and from groups of people?

Really dude?

10. raining threes

LMAO, the gf comment is one that proves you're losing the debate but you probably can't realize this sitting on your high horse.

I don't support beating women

I do support giving people 2nd chances and giving players the ability to support their kids.

The Real Shady likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She actually was a bystander, everything we know now it was a beef between Footer and Taubman I have no idea why she felt some kind of way.

She kind of had to talk about Chapman in this article or she would lose all credibility and even when she did she is not really taking them to task.

It's abundantly cleay she felt the need to take up for Footer and saw an angle to paint the Astros in a bad light and felt they owed her something.

Would really like to see the whole incident because it seems that words and voice tone are taking on a whole lot of weight.

The fact that she is from NY and covers the Yankees is a huge factor in this as swell.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How many people are defending him?

He has actually been a small part of the discussion.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Link?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I finally read the SI article can someone explain this logic to me?

1st it says this.

Taubman started yelling. At first, it was unclear at whom. Once the women heard him repeat his words, half a dozen times, it was evident he was directing his words at the reporter wearing the bracelet.

"Thank God we got Osuna!" Taubman said. "I'm so f---ing glad we got Osuna!

And then this.

Illustrated staff writer Stephanie Apstein published a story with Taubman's comments from the ALCS celebration. She was one of the three women at whom he had directed them.

So did he direct the comments at the woman wearing the bracelet or all three?

Something I did not know.

ESPN.com reporter Bradford Doolittle had heard Taubman referencing Osuna. Though he had not observed Taubman turning toward the women, after talking with one of them, he believed Taubman had directed the words toward her.

This is the most biased statement in the article it's totally an opinion stated as fact.

Brandon Taubman -- who weaponized another man's domestic violence and used it to target and harass women.

It shows how everyone is trying to show there bonafides on DV.

Why is Footer staying silent on all this since she was the purported victim wearing the purple bracelet.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I believe they are trying to say three so Footer does not get identified. Also, by saying three it portrays Taubman as more of a jerk yelling at a bunch of women which sounds much worse that what happened. In the end it was just Footer walking by and Taubman passive aggressively shouting "Thank God we got Osuna" a few times looking the other way. Not something you want an assistant GM to do, but not worth getting fired over either.

The media went all out on the smear campaign against Taubman and the Astros and got what they wanted by getting Taubman fired and portraying the Astros as a bad organization. Astros will win another WS, Taubman will get hired by another team after a year off, and the Astros have lost a key analytics guy who helped bring Cole to Houston.

Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't understand this at all. I'm liberal. I too am against the concept of domestic violence.

The level of coverage this is getting is beyond insane. It's basically ruined my preferred baseball podcasts (Effectively Wild and Ringer MLB show) cuz those guys have spent so much time talking about it.

Those female reporters were made to feel uncomfortable for what 5 min in a sporting event played by all men when some drunk idiot says something idiotic. Organization initially backs the guy then gets double egg on their face when they were wrong. Guy gets fired. Organization/owner apologizes.

What is left?!? How is one drunk idiot suddenly representative of the entire Astros culture or MLB culture. How is one drunk idiot a sign that EVERYTHING NEEDS TO CHANGE AND SOCIETY/CULTURE IS FAILING.

I'm still young enough to be part of the outrage generation and even i think this is stupid.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People are slow on the uptake and want their opinion on the matter. If Taubman was arrested or something, this would fit into that cycle right up to waiting for the hearing.

There's also real hate against the Not Yankees/Dodgers, so this gins up interest and shade during a low rated World Series.

Lastly, the first Astros statement said the reporter lied and overreacted to serve her own interests. That's pretty much poking a beehive (more like two...) to get at one workerbee.

Whatever anyone thinks about women, let alone reporters, belonging in the locker room, they were there to do their jobs and didn't need a drunk dipshit being a harassing clown of himself on company time. It wasn't even for winning the WS, and he acted like it. Then he hid, gave reporters the run around and ran behind daddy with lies instead of owning up to his mistake, which most people who have drunk in a workplace (event) would likely have related too.

Coverage wouldn't have been as bad if it were one person, but terrible crisis management of denials and belated non-apologies by the org ended up opening old wounds.

Take a pick. It wasn't the media that started this, but they sure as hell know how to run with it.

Kim, NotInMyHouse and msn like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you believe giving the guy who fondled all those little girls a second chance to coach gymnastics?

Sounds like you just are willing to excuse bad behavior when it helps you get what you want

19. msn

msn Member

(I know this wasn't addressed to me.)

My first thought when I saw this was, "That's an unfair extreme of the view expressed."

But, it does raise the difficult question: where does the line get drawn? I think for child predators, the extreme you've pointed to here, it's easy: they never get to work with children again. Their second chance is they can collect garbage or sell insurance or something that doesn't involve children. That bridge gets burned once and never rebuilt.

But in the case of a DV offender: if he can't throw baseballs for a living, then what are acceptable jobs for him? If I hire him to work graveyard shift at my McDonald's, am I now endorsing DV? Why is it the Astros aren't allowed to employ a former DV offender but McDonald's is? Where does the line get drawn?

raining threes and Houstunna like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Here Here.

Exactly how I feel about it.

It's obvious a lot of people were waiting to pile on the Astros and this was the perfect scenario, was surprised on how many people skills articles were written by people.

Will check out those podcasts need to hear some good baseball talk.