1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This. Everyone remembers the Atlanta Braves as being ****ing awesome and always in contention. History remembers them as a super team. Nobody cares about those other teams. The Astros can win more than one ring but just as importantly, this period in franchise history will forever be remembered as fantastic. Because it’s sustained excellence.

BigDog63 likes this.
  2. Marteen

Marteen Member

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

And to further that thought....
    The words “choke” and “lack of heart” and “not wanting It enough” are casually thrown around way too often. Mostly by casual fans. And they can shut the **** up.You’re talking about a team comprised significantly of guys that are a year removed from winning a championship and on top of that, have won more games than any other team in baseball for the last 3 seasons. They aren’t playing well but “lack of heart” or whatever other catchphrase you want to say, isn’t the reason. It’s just the nature of the game.

#3223 BigM, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Nook, Surfguy, Buck Turgidson and 3 others like this.
  4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Just here to "like" all the positive comments to get the positive vibe rolling, one game at a time......

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros are fully capable of beating any MLB team four out of five times. But, they need to pull their heads out of their ass during the trip to Washington, D.C.

For me, it starts with the offense. Their struggles with RISP are putting enormous pressure on the pitching staff and defense to be perfect every night. Altuve trying to steal third with one out in the first inning yesterday is an example of a player trying to push the envelope because he’s aware the team hasn’t fared well getting timely hits in the postseason.

That has to change starting tomorrow, or they will watch the Nationals celebrate their first World Championship at home.

sammy and cwebbster like this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

**** that. Losing by 9 runs at home is inexcusable and us fans have the right to say whatever the fk we want to. You are aware that us fans paid one of the highest ticket prices throughout the season right. Our ticket prices were those similar of those of the Cubs, Red sox, and Dodgers.

Are they playing with a lack of heart? Probably not, but are they choking? Thats a topic thats up for debate. If a fan is paying over a grand per ticket, then they have the right to say whatever the fk they want.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I remember that team, I also remember those 1985-90 Braves who were terrible. My history includes both.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets not.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is a difference between probability and certainty.

Houstunna likes this.
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

After the first WS game I posted that the Nationals "looked" like the better team. That was confirmed last night. Two more wins and they prove it. BUT, it is baseball, and strange things can happen, but they better start happening pretty quick. My advice to the Astro hitters, get more aggressive. To the base runners....be aggressive. To the pitching staff, we need your best stuff. All hands on deck. The ship is sinking, but there is still a chance to save it.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Except its not really about talent. Its about execution.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Admitting there is a problem is the first step.

punkoholic likes this.
  13. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

In other words, panic.

sammy, solid and Sajan like this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Astros need to get back to their joyful place. They've looked tight, nervous, and kind of miserable the last 2 games while the Nationals have been baby sharking it up and down our collective asses. I've felt for a while that the antics the Astros have been known for the last few seasons have slowly shifted from fun and light to more arrogant. I'm hoping they were served a big plate of humble pie, and they go back to remembering that this is supposed to be FUN. World Series appearances don't grow on trees.

sammy and solid like this.
  15. Elienator

Elienator Member

Playoff baseball is weird and luck is definitely involved. But let's not ignore that the Astros play has contributed significantly. Bad base running likely cost them two runs (which would have tied or led the game) and sloppy defense created situations where some of the Nationals softly hit balls became hits and runs. The Astros base running has been underwhelming most of the year, but their poor defensive and lack of situational awareness in this series (combined with the Nats not making the same mistakes) is a bigger factor than luck right now.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Any other suggestions?

17. CinematicFusion

aint over yet... down 2 with this team isn't as big a deal.

Win tomorrow with Grenike, lose the bullpen game....win Verlander/Cole...and get to game 7.

If we make it to game 7, we will have so much confidence to close it out and the Nats will be crapping their pants.

Tomorrow victory is the key.
    One game at a time.
    Like Hakeem used to say, let's surprise them.
    The Nats are the ones who have all the pressure on them now. How embarrassing if they can't close out being up 2-0.

We have a bad ass team....just need to start playing like it.
    See you guys back in Houston.

Rock Block, Houstunna and sammy like this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Marlins actually won 2 World Series. Granted, the teams were very different, but they still got two titles in a 7-year span. The Braves made it to the World Series 5 times in 8 years(exclude 1994 when the strike cancelled the postseason) and have one championship to show for it.

Their sustained excellence for a decade deserves praise, but there's also a perception of underachieving with that bunch given how much talent they had.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Living in Indiana as a kid I watched a whole lot of Braves games as TBS was a regular station.

Remember how good Dale Murphy was and there was very little else at the time that was good about those Braves teams.

Wasn’t a Braves fan, but man I loved watching baseball even at that young age.

As far as the Astros go, I had a really bad feeling about the first two games. It was just a gut thing. That said, I have a really good feeling that the Astros will win this series. I’m not freaking out.

Rodman23 and sammy like this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Who says we can’t win the bullpen game? Nationals bullpen looked shaky in GM 1 and GM 2 was out of reach when they entered.

I think Astros have an advantage in the next three.