1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Shumpert declines Rockets offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My bad..best SF / 3, and still not all the way back yet.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) Cost multiple valuable assets that we could use right now

2) Provided zero production in the regular season

3) Terrible defender during his time here despite being labeled as such

4) “Our best wing in the playoffs”....I’m not even sure that’s true, and even if it is, that says more about how bad our wing depth is than Shumpert.

slothy420, Gray_Jay, ROXTXIA and 3 others like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I have followed the Rockets since the early 80’s and honestly believe that Iman Shumpert is the worst player to ever wear the Houston jersey. I do not state this lightly....I lived through the Thomas Hamilton, Rodrick Rhodes, and Sam Mack years. Shump takes the cake as the worst and it is not even that close. One of the worst combination shooters/defenders I have ever seen. Very, very, very happy he is gone!!!

Sadboy likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets sent away 1st round pick, Chriss, and Knight for Shumpert. Even if you want to play dense and pretend the 1st round pick isnt for dumping salary, I am not sure where the multuple valuable assets you are talking about.

Objectively speaking he was a filler for Moreys luxury tax maneuvers. Now if you want to complain about Tilman being cheap, there are numerous Carl Herrea threads you can visit. But at least recognize the acquistion for what it truly was about.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You don’t think the Rockets could use an additional first round pick and a gigantic expiring contract to help match salaries in trades right now?

I know the trade was to duck the tax. That’s the problem.

Gray_Jay and ROXTXIA like this.
  6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Shumpert was having a good season at the time with Sacramento. He was just a bad fit for this team. I wasn't thrilled because we were already deep at guard and would have preferred to get some frontcourt help. Weren't there rumors about us being close to getting J. Green and Temple? That would have been huge.

On a different note, I'm sick of not having picks. I realize that we need contribute now players and Championship teams usually are low on picks, but Morey is great at finding value in the 2nd round. I miss the days of Les giving Morey cash to pick up 2nd rounders.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

Kim and vlaurelio like this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Gigantic expiring to do what? Make Fertitta pay another $20+mil when hes already strapped for cash and all his China money burning up? If the Rockets didnt trade Knight with a 1st round pick sweetner last year they certainly would've done it this year.

Shumpert has essentially nothing to do with these "assets" you speak of.

9. Fantasma Negro

Word bro, the worst?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shark44 and RasaqBoi like this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Where's MCW pic?

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Shump actually won that OT game against the Warriors last year. I know he sucked other than that but that was what his alleged upside was.

12. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I don't think he ever bought into either leaving Sacramento, being on the rockets, team concept or playing with james and chris.....

just didnt seem happy to be here and honestly seemed like a guy who was satisfied with his career already.....

I picked up on this from the very beginning..... maybe hes just an odd cat but something just didnt feel right....as if he was supposed to be dealt again after we acquired him. ....

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, how can somebody claim they’ve been following the team since the 80’s and state that Shump is the worse player that’s ever been on the team and it’s not even close? I hate ridiculous hyperbole.

Shump’s play in games 3-5 of the GS series alone omit him from holding that crown

I’d take him back right now for the vet min which unfortunately won’t happen

How could Shump have been worse than this dude?

[​IMG]

a biology teacher turned STARTING SF for the Rockets

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This statement was so outrageous, it made me laugh out loud. Thank you for the laugh. Not only is the statement absurd but the players you listed probably are not even the worst players to play for rockets during that specified time period

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

hey do not speak ill of Charles Jones! do you not remember that game against the Spurs in the playoffs where Hakeem got into foul trouble and jones came in and did not let Robinson score all over us?

jcf and Kim like this.
  16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Bruce Bowens cousin

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

a scrub of the highest order...whenever I think of peak trash play or all time greats when it comes scrub, I think of him

18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Yup. Total trash. Right up there with Thabeet. No skill trash

Didn't care for Shumpert but he could play him for 10 minutes since he plays d

Reeko likes this.
  19. WNBA

WNBA Member

[​IMG]
    He is the worst Rockets player.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I pull out the trump card.

[​IMG]