1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jump] Adam Silver: China requested Daryl Morey's firing; We said "No Chance"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 17, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Next up on Amnesia day.

Who the hell is Daryl Morey?

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

China realized how much attention they’re bring on themselves and don’t want to many people looking into those re-education camps

Yung-T, Patience, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

just wanna reiterate how lucky we all are that we're not chinese.

is all.

Yung-T, vlaurelio, Fletch and 3 others like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Put me in the camp that thinks Silver has done pretty well navigating this so far. I even understand the original milk toast press release, where the NBA was trying to do damage control and salvage a multi billion $$$ relationship.

Silver has had players, US politicians, Chinese government officials and Chinese sponsors yelling at him. At the end of the day, Morey still has a job and the league has affirmed its pro free speech stance.

vlaurelio and Patience like this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Every time I see 'Made in China' Stamped on something I'm a million Xs more disgusted than b4. Way more.
    The images of human beings blind folded, cuffed and held against their will bc they believe something incongruent with the CPC - sick and extremely sad. Oh, but let's not inconvenience LBJ.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Got nothing against being the Chinese Bezos Jack Ma though.

[​IMG]

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

The issue has brought up a lot of people to look past Chinas front. Almost like self exposure

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

China should have ignored Daryl Morey’s post

His only power is to change the lineup of the Rockets

but thanks to China’s insecure dummies they made him into a symbol of freedom and democracy

His tweet only reached a few people who play fantasy basketball
    But thanks to China blowing it up
    They played themselves

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

someone said in another thread he a teacher now tho and stripped of all his fortune

10. omgTHEpotential

Perkins is not educated in these matters. He's a basketball player. He should be silent.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he has a secret fortune, like in the Cayman islands that he won't admit. They all have.....

Publicly yeah sure. He was an English teacher before becoming the head of Alibaba.

https://www.businessinsider.de/jack...teach-young-people-be-human-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/18/alibabas-jack-ma-spent-10-years-preparing-for-his-retirement.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#131 daywalker02, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Jontro likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Espn aka Disney pays him
    Also
    All these shows have lots of people behind the scenes. Nobody goes on truly with random thoughts

13. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Just as a lark, maybe try reposting this comment, but this time make an actual coherent point. What a refreshing change that would make.

BamBam and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  14. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

You know zero about politics.

first of all, many people follows Morey in China and around the world.

second, rockets generates a lot of attention from Chinese viewers as they love rockets as much as they love lakers and warriors. Go google the income from various NBA teams to know rockets gets 3 times as much revenue from China than any other team.

lastly, the immediate reaction from Chinese citizens around the world were generally upsetting so the government has to step in to show that they are doing something and can’t allow America to intervene with their internal issue during this sensitive timing of US China trade talks.

keep in mind NBA makes a lot of money from China market but China also making money off from NBA. Business is away a two way street, you think only NBA makes money with tunnel vision and forget China is losing money too.

15. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

He’s living a heck of a life using his money to make a short movie and jamming in a band concert.

cayman island isn’t the secret money laundry place anymore. It’s for those noobs.

Hong Kong, US, and China are the new high end money laundry places for tax evasion and money laundry.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This entire situation has just been one mistake being compounded by the next mistake.

At the end of the day, none of us watches basketball because of politics. We watch basketball because it is entertaining to watch supremely gifted physical specimens at the absolute height of their sport battle it out with each other. I don't enjoy watching a superstar play because of some sob story from his past, I enjoy watching a superstar play because of how great he is at it. Sure the sob story adds additional feel-goods, but at the end of the day it's the quality they put on the court or field that matters. We love watching Harden rocking a defender to sleep before hitting a step-back or Curry splashing bombs from 30+ feet out consistently, or LBJ hitting Green dead center in his chest with a no-look, spinning jump pass for a corner 3, because it is ****ing amazing. In the same vein, I didn't appreciate Morey because of his humor or play or political stances. I appreciate him because I think he is an amazing GM.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL who "intervened"???

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Silver, U lie! China cool! Super Cool!

20. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Here’s my view of this. The Chinese businesses with government ties implies implicitly that one of the ways to repair the ties is firing of Morey. I agree that some sort of fine should be imposed like Lebron said if this were to happen to a NBA player. Not to mention Donald sterling punishment serves as double standard if Silvers really think freedom of expression should be protected. However firing of Morey is extreme.

second strange thing is Silvers label NBA as a business entity and looking at the US government for help. This all smells like continuation of trade war between the two countries. NBA doesn’t support Trumps policy yet Adam Silvers is looking for Trump to guide him, odd.

things are exactly going toward a right path as I see both sides with ways to repair this damage.
    Bottom line, this is hurting all BB fans.