1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Americans don't Understand Chinese and Chinese don't Understand Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 6, 2019.

1. WNBA

WNBA Member

These kids will live their life in US and will speak from their heart and tell you that "oppressive totalitarian regime" is just a cliche in your propaganda, fake news.

2. adoo

adoo Member

ur publicizing ur ignorance.

google brain drain. overwhelming majority of these kids/students stay abroad and become citizens there.
    over the past decade or so, as china has grown to be an economic power, more of them are returning to China

#62 adoo, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because watching the Stros now is more depressing than D&D checking back in hear.

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I was a child back then but if I remember correctly China also banned NBA for a whole year when USA bombed Chinese embassy in Yugoslavia killing 3 Chinese citizens in 1999.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I am ethnically Chinese and am proud of Chinese history and culture. Im proud to be an American by birth and by citizenship. None of that means that I can’t criticize either country and just because I explain why Chinese think the way they do doesn’t mean I agree with the what they all do and especially what the government does. It would be no more different that when I’ve explained to non-Americans why we invaded Iraq, elected Trump and have lax gun laws compared to their countries. Doesn’t mean I agree with those things but I will try o explain to others why America is the way it is.

I acknowledge and have brought up myself many of the things you mention. The PRC has done many horrible things and Xi is making things worse. That doesn’t wipe out or deny the history that China was carved up foreign powers and that the UK got HK because they fought a war to sell drugs to China. That would be like saying that 9/11 shouldn’t matter since the US invaded Iraq On a faulty premises. History matters.
    At the risk of turning this into another Trump thread if you’re counting on Trump to defeat the PRC you’re sadly mistaking. Trumps rhetoric is exactly what I’m talking about it’s simultaneously arrogant and ignorant most of the time. It is the type of stuff that gets people riled up but ends up doing little or makes things worse. What is worse though than Trump’s bombastic rhetoric though is his odd and misplaced fawning over Xi “I know Xi, he’s very smart and we get along great..” even more dangerous though is that Trump has already sold out to the PRC. He pulled sanctions from ZTE even though they were sanctioned for security issues. He tweeted to he did it to save Chinese jobs. Coincidently the same week the PRC granted several copyrights in Ivanka Trump products and invested half a million in a trump branded project in Indonesia. Trump also pulled back sanctions on Huawei.

Under Trump the rhetoric is tougher but we’re losing more to the PRC. The trade deficit has increased, US farmers have to be bailed out and manufacturing growth is stagnating.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

One would argue killing 3 Chinese Citizens is slightly more offensive than a tweet from a GM of an American basketball league but I dunno... maybe that’s just me.

(Very SnowFlakey)

malakas likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I can’t speak to what your experience is but while yes the censorship is pervasive it isn’t that difficult to get around. Using VPN you could access Facebook and YouTube and many other sites that are banned. Clutchfans wasn’t banned and to answer another poster’s question I don’t think the content on it was censored. I doubt the PRC would bother letting Clutchfans through and then internally censoring content when they could just ban it outright. Anyway we can see that it isn’t banned or censored in the PRC as we see Chinese posters responding to posts very critical of the PRC and Xi jinxing.

The great firewall though isn’t the only way the PRC shapes thought. Why you might not be seeing a lot of Chinese going into FB or other foreign websites is that there are Chinese equivalents such as WeChat and Youku. Given the choice most people will follow media in their native language.

You also have to consider how big the population is in the PRC so yes there are many Chinese who don’t follow or are aware about things in country but there are hundreds of millions who are. There are more than enough Chinese who are aware of what’s going on in the rest of the World.
    I agree with much of that. Things have gotten much more repressive under Xi and the PRC is bruising a very sophisticated surveillance state. I also agree that the PRC is expanding its global reach and starting to use its power to bully neighbors. I’ve spoken to many in countries like Vietnam and Malaysia that are very concerned about PRC expansion. Regarding stealing business secrets and other unsavory practices I’ve dealt with those first hand and I’ve categorized trips to Beijing ad being like a constant ripoff.
    As far as China being the biggest threat to freedom in the world I agree there are many problems and under Xi getting worse but there is still a lot of uncertainty and I don’t think anyone can tell you what will exactly happen to the PRC. From the outside Xi’s rule looks solid but there is resentment towards him in the PRC and he knows he can’t stamp it all out. The Winnie the Pooh meme that many here are using now is only so because there are people in the PRC who made it a meme and continue it.

Even accepting that the PRC is a global threat is more reason why we should be understanding them rather than just falling into simplistic sloganeering. For example continuing to portray this as a war of western capitalism versus communism completely mischaracertizes the conflict. Especially since the PRC is using capitalistic means to combat us. I’ve said this before that yes the PRC plays the long game and so should the US. How to counter the PRC isn’t through threats and insults. Frankly that doesn’t work on most countries as it just strengthens nationalism.

Barring all of that neither is or the Chinese are going away. It has been brought up by many that we’re in a Thucydides trap and like ancient Athens and Sparta are doomed to conflict. That war devastated classical Greece but a war between the US and the PRC has the potential to devastate the World.

Hustle Town likes this.
  8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

100%. That was 20 years ago. If that happens today we would be talking about boom pew pew, instead of tweet ban ban.

malakas and dobro1229 like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

malakas likes this.
  10. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

There are just too many people that only thinks in binary, black/white, good/bad, beautiful/ugly, freedom/oppression. The tendency to reduce everything to black or white will not serve you well in trying to understand the world.

Chinese government is certainly very oppressive, but it's NOT the all knowing Big Brother the western media made it out to be. It has some things that it absolutely won't tolerate, rebellion, separatism, terrorism, etc., others less so. It still royally sucks, but it's not like if you criticize the government one day and you get disappeared the next. Yet this aspect of Chinese government has been incredibly demonized by the western media for whatever reason. If you just read whatever is in the western media, it feels as if China is worse than Nazi Germany. My biggest beef with Xi is that he is making it worse and driving a lot of stuff in the wrong direction, and he is just not as good at being president as he thinks he is. I just hope that he will be out of power before he really messes up. And this is a thought that I have freely shared with family and friends. Nothing bad has happened to me or any of them yet. I guess I should find a piece of wood and knock on it. You guys think that the Chinese government is a super efficient killing machine that controls everyone, but in reality it is burdened with way too much bureaucracy and corruption to really do much unless it perceives something is of existential danger to it.

And what most of you that doesn't live their lives in China fail to realize or even imagine is how much life has improved for the average person in the past 40 years under the CCP rule. 1 billion plus people had their livelihood lifted out of extreme poverty. Imaging growing up in Honduras or whatever poor Latin America country and move to the US. Now imagine that happening to 1 billion people and they don't even have to be rounded up and put in cages. When I was a kid, everything was rationed, milk, cloths, rice, meat. Now more and more people are suffering and dying from obesity. If people are willing to risk being put into cages or even death to try to live a better life, they will tolerate quite a bit of political oppression, especially when said oppression doesn't really interfere that much with day-to-day life.

But I guess many of you will still go back to "LOL COMMIES BAD". And it never cease to amaze me that citizens of the most warmongering developed country in the world since World War II somehow thinks that it represent the pinnacle of moral and justice. And yet a country that hasn't killed a whole bunch of civilians minding their own business for quite a while is the source of all evil.

11. foh

foh Member

That's how some of them justify their feeling of glee with regards to the 9/11 attacks. It's an excuse I guess, but how do you even come to try and argue against such sentiment. 3000 > 3?
    I guess we have to try to refer back to WWII and point out that we saved quite a few Chinese by extending them credit to buy weapons to fight Japanese. And then physically fighting on the same side and helping significantly.

Being an immigrant and not perceiving any cultural shock upon coming to US, I'm pretty sure that with continued globalization and industrialization our "cultural differences" with China won't be a thing soon. It will just be geopolitical national pride-based despising and jealousy. ie They will understand how racism can be looked down upon and how protests can be a driver for good every once in a while.

After two days of reading about this I still didn't really see a laymen's heartfelt explanation of the third rail issue Tsai tried to convey - seems like the Chinese, due to the insane population density, historically low gdp/capita and numerous violent occupations have a diminished value of personal worth in their traditions/culture and so the topic of national sovereignty and national military might is the only paramount value there at the moment. It's not like they discovered the Marxism ideal when it comes to industrial production and individual property. (Unless being good at intellectual property theft is the new tenet of what it means to be a communist nation..) Although, there is the apparent ideal of hard work (which the US actually shares too).

The fact that even Chinese expats seem to vehemently defend CCP handling of this spat with Daryl Morey's deleted tweet is a great indication of a deep rooted "I'm oppressed" inferiority complex. How long will it be before this type of national identity is lifted - will it happen when China is ahead of US in GDP and Military spending? Or could it be that CCP is actually really good at brainwashing and Chinese people on average prefer a comfortable life over personal freedoms?

I hope OP and other knowledgeable people like @Hustle Town maybe address these issues too when they have time. @rocketsjudoka, when, if ever, do you think an NBA executive, like Morey, can tweet his opinion about a protest in HK or elsewhere in China freely without supposedly alienating a majority of Chinese population?

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This thread is as flat as Will Smith preaching about parental issues

Man there's no need to argue... parents just don't unda standddddd

13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I appreciate the civil discussion. I may come back to fill the rest of this space with a response.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is very difficult to say. There are many things going on now between the US and the PRC and within the PRC internally that are driving things. There have been protests in HK pretty much since the handover and if Morey had posted something like this on social media ten years ago the reaction might not have been as severe. Issues where the Chinese see their territorial integrity at stake will always be a touchy issue, the extreme reaction of not just criticizing Morey but banning the whole NBA is unusual. My guess is that the Trade War and timing following PRC 70th anniversary are exacerbating it.

foh and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Following the PRC backing down some in this issue shows that there are ways to defeat or at least deal with the Chinese. Understanding that the Chinese value group dynamics direct confrontation that the kind that most Americans are calling for doesn't work with Chinese. The Chinese interpret it as not just a disagreement but disrespectful. On the other hand working within a group removes the Chinese argument that this is just one party being rude and disrespectful since many other parties are also opposed to them. This strategy worked before with other issues such as China's currency manipulation.

Another strategy is understanding how much the PRC craves status on the World stage. This is why it was very important to for them to get in the WTO and also to host the Olympics. I'm not surprised the PRC started to back down once they got a sense that the Beijing Winter Olympics was threatened. If I was he NBA I would push the argument that if the PRC insist on banning the NBA over politics then the USOC shouldn't participate in the Beijing Olympics or FIBA play games in the PRC. I would also consider going to the WTO and argue that a ban on the NBA for this reason is an economic sanction and goes against WTO rules. While the PRC, or the US, haven't always followed the WTO rulings they have before and especially if the PRC feels this situation is getting out of hand even for them this could be a face saving measure.