1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling Bullsh*t with Absolute Confidence that any of you will "Stop being fans if Morey is Fired"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

Great way to put it. I've been a diehard fan since 1983 (i was 5). I've lived through a ton of horrible decisions by the Rockets like Cheivios, Jamerson, not trading with the Blazers by sending them Sampson/we get Clyde and Jordan to pair with Dream (I didn't know this until Hakeem's book came out), re-signing Mo Taylor, giving Cato $45 Mil and Ryno's 20 Mil per. That said, I'm done with the Rockets if they fire Morey. Standing up for human rights should be a choice, not censorship.

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Imp breh, ppl have lost their minds over this.

Sure, there are sides to blame on this..... but hope it blows over soon, be done with it.

SJ guys and political activists all over the GARM. Sigh.

I will still follow the team no matter what, although I am no fan of WB and JH.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If the NBA being rigged hasn't pushed fans out, they will get over an honest GM getting fired for financial reasons.

theimpossibles1 and JeffB like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You’d be surprised. There are about a gazillion other things on TV nowadays to satisfy those two nights of the week.

I’ve been a diehard fan since I can remember. But the draw for the Rockets for my is the fact that they are the HOUSTON Rockets... not the Beijing Rockets. The fact that our owner seems more concerned with Beijing than the diverse and open minded city this team is supposed to be representing, allows Houston sports fans like me a pretty good out if I decide to not renew my League Pass this year.

So yeah... the owner choosing the importance of Xi supporting Communist Chinese fans over the ones here in the USA is a pretty big slap in the face to me imo, and I might or might not watch a little less Rockets this year because of the directions this team continues to make under the leadership of our reality tv billionaire who wants me to Shut Up and Listen.

How about for once the Rockets (this includes you too Harden) and their owner Shut Up and Listen to their fans in HOUSTON for once.

HP3, clutchdabear and JeffB like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to be a baseball fanatic. I got a summer job in college selling beer at Busch Stadium in St Louis so I could get in and watch all the games.

When they moved the Astros to the Nintindo American League and destroyed decades of rivalries and tradition I said I was done with baseball. Everybody guffawed and said I was being hysterical and I'd be back.

I haven't watched a single Astros game since and I'm perfectly content with the decision. I thought I'd eventually pick back up and follow another NL team, but the bad taste never left my mouth so I haven't had any interest.

Maybe you couldn't follow through, but don't project your wishy washy lack of resolve on the rest of us. I haven't decided to quit basketball if they fire Morey, but if I did, I would.

#45 Ottomaton, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Rockets fan since they moved to Houston. I wouldn't quit being a fan, but they would move way down on my lists of interests (would still intermittently follow but would not watch much). In part, because I don't want to be emotionally invested as the owner gradually weakens or eventually moves the franchise to satisfy his ego and greed. Been there before, don't care to do it again. They'd be on the backburner until a new owner came in and ran it like a high-reliability organization instead of a vanity-fueled food production line full of yes-men, which is where we seem to be headed.

Businessmen, particularly those who make their riches on the margins, are not well-equipped for taking on jobs with a high social component, like politics or pro sports franchises. Their success leads them to overestimate themselves and they get mired in the practices that led to that success even though the problems they have to face and the culture they have to deal with are completely outside those previous experiences and increasing in complexity every damn day. Couple that with wealth's general orientation towards a political outlook that is increasingly untethered from reality and it seems margin-derived wealth is the worst background for an owner. In other words, the owner is looking more and more like a rich simpleton who is good at squeezing profits out of simple processes but can't handle the complexity of a pro sports franchise that is part of a community.

So yeah, getting rid of Murry would definitely speed my disengagement.
    [​IMG]

HP3 likes this.
  8. theimpossibles1

We get it.... You are a proud vegan.

Personally I don't think eating animals, in itself, is mean at all -- and I don't appreciate the implication that i'm mean for eating animals. I would even say you are being mean for saying as much.

#48 theimpossibles1, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. theimpossibles1

Brilliant post.

10. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Who are u kidding? The fact if u are as moral as u said u will out of job for life because every owner is sucking blood from employees. No, you just continue to be hypocritical because this’s nothing about your interest.

11. theimpossibles1

You say you stopped following the Astros because of the NL/AL switch?

I don't believe that. You had already chosen to quit following baseball and the timing just coincided -- evidenced by the fact you never chose another team.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

There are ways for me to watch rockets that does not provide a penny directly or indirectly to the team. I can also choose to not go to any games or buy any merchandise. I can choose to get pizza from the competitor of the pizza company that sponsors them and I can choose to listen to their non flagship radio station. I can do all these things and still keep up with them which is what I would do

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That makes us even. Because I don't appreciate the implication that my convictions are bs!

14. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

People believe all sorts of stupid s**t and jump to stupid conclusions based on insufficient information. Doesn't make it true. It just makes them fools who seek to reassure themselves in their own confirmation bias.

I'm guessing you have "absolute confidence" about a whole bunch of things that you are not sufficiently informed to express an opinion on.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

One thing that living in a different time zone showed me is how easy it is to switch hobbies/interests.

Piece of cake to cut all/majority of interest.

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

Just curious, but on the flip side, do you think there is anything the Rockets can do that will make you stop watching? Not asking to be rude, just genuinely curious because I agree that most "outraged" fans will continue to watch Disney movies. This was sort of the point of Southpark (which actually aired before Morey's tweet), that there are plenty of people that would consume entertainment, even if they knew it was censored/promotes the interest of a totalitarian regime.

What if Morey's tweet were about Xinjiang re-education camps, and the Rockets fired him and said what was happening was just a difference of political opinion? Is your point that you would enjoy the entertainment even if the organization that produces/promotes the content would, let's say for example, openly imprison people for their religious beliefs without due process, many of whom are never heard from again? Look, I agree with your point that there will be many fans that continue to watch and support the NBA, and if what you are saying is that you would watch basketball no matter what, I honestly believe you. I just really wish I could call bullsh*t.

17. theimpossibles1

Yes there are lines that could be crossed that would stop my fandom, but firing one guy (even for a terrible reason -- even if it indirectly stands against free speech) isn't one of them.

While it would be abhorrent and infuriating if he were fired... I would understand that they are just financially saving their ass (and potentially the league's).

The Rockets are not inherently against free speech. The Rockets are not oppressing or imprisoning innocent people. They don't deserve punishment.

#57 theimpossibles1, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Like watching potato to grow in a Wyoming farm?