1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[STEPHEN A SMITH] Morey is Childish

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I was shock to see Morey make that tweet. I can't understand what he was thinking. It's real easy for anyone to say shitty thing about the Chinese government and support of HK if you have no business association in China, but if you do? And still saying stuffs like that? You're stupid. Why? Because you could potentially lose a lot money and as every know money is power and power is money. No matter what anyone say, the world we live in is driven by money, unfortunately it is a fact of life. It is the root of all evil and that's why everyone is working to get it. Of course it is an illusion power because the real power is love and God is LOVE. But man do not see it that way. Why? Because they do not know what is the essence of love, they can only feel it. Anyway, i am getting too philosophical here.

Is Morey feeling too confident that because the Rockets have great connection with fans and businesses in China that he think it won't make a big difference if he support HK? I think he underestimated the emotional loyalty of the Chinese people. Sports don't mean anything to them compare to the sovereignty of the state, just like how NBA players always say how family is the priority to them compare to sports . China as a sovereignty state is like a family. So when things break out and not united, there is concern. People would say that they're being controlled by the government and was told to act by the government. I don't think that is necessarily true. I think most Chinese, no matter where they live would not want Westerners to interfere with the Chinese business. So HK protests are seen as a way for Westerners to have any hope of interference with the communist state. To me, the westerners do not give a damm about the Chinese people, so what are they doing in support of HK? Their purpose is to instill democracy into HK or China in order to have any influence of the Communist party (it's like that is their only hope of getting inside the government), that is the whole idea and that's why it generate a lot of resentments. If you read Joe Tsai's statement and don't get it, then you got a problem.

#61 Yao4REAL, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    bearrider and kyle7758521 like this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

SAS is just a clown who made a career by acting angry all the time.

3. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

4. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

To the pont
    to the point

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the more and faster ways people can get information , the worse people get. it's memory overload with real news and fake news and people are disconnected with reality.

we didn't have cell phones or the internet back in the day so we consumed information slower but it made us understand it better

Deckard likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Silver shoulda let the Nene contract stand...

then Morey wouldnt haveta be burning this b**** down...

;)

Spacemoth likes this.
  7. pass_to_Hakeem

Representing a National Basketball team tho? Image bruh... imaaaaaaaaage!!!!

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The 1st amendment simply protects you from government persecution (outside of exceptions like slander or dangerous speech), not financial or social persecution from society. It is also a national right (national meaning dependent on the country), not an international one. One of the downsides of being a public figure and representative of a business or organization is that you lose a lot of personal freedom. The upside of course is fame, money, and social connections. What a lot of people still don't seem to understand or (even worse) choose to ignore here is that due to Morey's employment, his public words (from a responsibility standpoint) no longer belong to him anymore. They affect those who work with or under him, his direct employer, his current and future business connections, his family and friends, and the greater business (NBA) that he is part of. In this sense, yes his action was "childish" as it completely lacked the responsibility he took on when he became a GM. Now, he is being confronted by the consequence of his action and it really sucks.

Now some of you are like "Screw China! Never cave! Land of the free... blah, blah, blah", which is fine as we are all allowed our own individual opinions and there is definitely a correct moral ground here. People are also gleefully prone to flash mob mentality as seen by both Americans and Chinese up in arms about the situation. However, this is also an incredibly idealistic and luxurious viewpoint that most can afford to have, because jack **** happens to us when we voice our opinions about the matter. We get to cast our stone in self-righteous anger and then we go back home and sleep without consequence. Now if it involves multiple lives around us that we personally know and might even truly care for pitted against protesting for the hundreds or thousands of lives that we never met and have no personal emotional attachment to, all of a sudden it's completely different. Whether one admits it or not, very few people will choose to still side with the unrelated lives.

#68 chenjy9, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    duluth111222 and jcf like this.
  9. mingthething

mingthething Member

Can we move all discussions about Daryl Morey's controversial tweet to Debate and Discussion? or NBA dish. I mean, it's nothing to do with Rockets strategy or offseason moves , roster or anything, unless Morey get's fired. Which is unlikely.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just watched Stephen A mad Max go at it.

Stephen A sounds like he’s protecting the players money from China. Yet he’s talking out of the side of his mouth saying Daryl said nothing wrong, but shouldn’t have said it.

Max has it right imo. Basically saying this is much bigger than the money. Bringing up Rosa Parks and doing the right thing no matter the consequences. Cited a couple other things as well.

Right is right and I feel Morey was right. I will not change my stance to stand with him.

Why do we continually sell our souls for the mighty dollar?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They were talking about this and they got really heated about it.

Max called out SAS and he was pretty upset by it, they rushed to commercial and have moved on from it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. jcf

jcf Member

How much is Max pitching in?

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah Max really humiliated SAS on the issue. When it comes to certain topics or issues SAS really can’t mess with Max.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And when they returned SAS was out of it lol

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I think Max hit him where it hurts because he was telling the truth.

ESPN has walked on eggshells about this issue, let's remember their parent company is Disney so they probably won't be overturning the applecart too much.

It was funny the moment SAS mentioned Pakistan/Isreal Molly jumped in so silence the discussion and rush to commercial...then they come back talking about a preseason game lol.

Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  16. alethios

alethios Member

#StandWithMorey

17. Fantasma Negro

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is nonsense.

How many US senators or even common folks had openly commented on China human rights issues since the last 70 years? Have China ever sue them on our courts or your courts?

Oh wait NVM we should not talk about rights and laws in China.

Nance Pelosi just passed a legislation for Hong Kong, don't be a p***y and ask the China government to sanction the US like they did now on the NBA, or better yet, send your cops to come here and arrest her.

The Chinese cops can travel cross thousands miles from provinces to provinces to arrest a guys and force him to apologize because he pointed out facts about some fake and poisoned wines in China. Why not try it here?

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think he said enough to make the point. It looked like he wanted to say more, but was holding back at the end.

I mean, both of those guys should know about oppression as well as anyone, but are taking different sides.

This is all about money. Never sellout your beliefs for money.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah give molly props for really jumping in to end the convo. But I’m sure tomorrow they will bring it up again but I work.