1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans in China furious at Morey for supporting Hong Kong protests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having an opinion is not against the law. Hurting someone’s feelings is not the same stealing money or murder or regular crime.

Have you had a job where you don’t like the other people? You can’t get them fired because they support something you don’t.

Also be smart, you really think Morey hates Chinese people ? No

Yung-T, clutchdabear, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not that simple.

jcf and Mathloom like this.
  3. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

You need permit to conduct organized protests in most of the world, including the US. No need to argue there.

All your arguments are based on the hypothesis that China would somehow lock up innocent people and abuse its citizens. I repeat once again, 1. China COULD do that without any laws. 2. China ain't got time to mess with innocent people. Political corruptions exist in every country and I don't doubt that it does in China too. But to everyday people, the Chinese government's goal has been and always will be to provide a better, sustainable and prosperous life for them.

4. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Funny you say that. You realize how many people get fired for saying racist things in the US right? People literally get fired everyday for saying politically incorrect things in the US.

"Be Smart", "You people have no sense of individual opinions"

First of all, only when one's argument is weak does one need to resort to personal attacks. Secondly, in my original post I already said why it's problematic to say you don't hate Chinese people but then go on to support the Hong Kong protest, so I won't repeat myself.

Also I hope one day we can all go back to talking about the Rockets again.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread should be moved to the D&D. It has become a political debate.

pantherheat32, D-rock, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  6. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

Yes, you are true about the protesters attacking the police officers and I'm sure they are well prepared for the consequences. The protesters noted the years they may need to be jailed for and would still come out, I will let you judge their motivation.

But I'm sorry to tell you that Hong Kong Police Force is not patient. They have done a lot of bad things (twisting/ breaking suspects arms, unnecessary force to beat the protesters, kicking protesters in the back alley, beating protesters and citizens indiscriminately etc) but bare no consequences because they have no identification on their uniform or helmet and masked themselves. They denied showing their warren in SO MANY occasions. Why? Because they don't want any trouble after the violence they have done.

Protesters violated the law and they will be judged by the Court. Police unlawfully harmed the protesters and get no trouble.

FYI, HUNDREDS of gang members (without any masks) attacked normal citizens and people on the way home after a lawful rally with knives and sticks on 21 July. Hong Kong Police Force only arrested dozens of them and you tell me the anti-masking law is helpful. Protesters and gang members are getting unfair treatment for real. You can check out the TV and many videos.

7. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

You've hit on a great point here about democracy, which a lot of people don't get, I applaud you for that.

To answer your question, I think fundamental rights of human beings should take precedence over individual voice and rights. Meaning, as you mentioned education and wisdom, but also safety and healthcare, should all take precedence over individual voice and rights. It seems that you agree democracy has its pre-requisites, China has not met those pre-requisites, and is doing heck of a good job trying to meet them.

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Hong Kong didn't have democracy during colonial rule, but it was liberal. Civil liberties such as freedom of speech and freedom of assembly were guaranteed during British rule and those rights were non-existent in China. Mao Zedong's government crackdown on anything they don't like and millions of Chinese people swam across the border to live in HK as a result.

Now I have to go back to why HK didn't have democracy during colonial era and it was mainly because of the Chinese military threat. In fact, Governor Mark Young and Chris Patten had made attempts to democratize Hong Kong, but both attempts have been throttled by Beijing. Nevertheless, Chris Patten did achieve a de-facto universal suffrage for Hong Kong's legislature in 1995 but of course China rejected it and replaced it with a totally undemocratic legislature in Shenzhen.

And just because we don't have democracy during British rule so we shouldn't have democracy now? Is that your logic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Plan_(Hong_Kong)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Hong_Kong_electoral_reform

It is very interesting that you brought up those riots, especially the 1967 riots which is a forbidden topic in Mainland China. Do you know who started it? It was instigated by the CCP during the Cultural Revolution and those were hardcore pro-Beijing protestors. If you opposed to the HK protestors now, then you should be condemning those pro-Beijing protestors in 1967 and supported the Police crackdown because those protestors were 10x more violent than the HK protestors now. They burnt people they don't like alive and used bombing attack across the city!

9. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

1.7million people is not a lie. Even the Police admitted/ recognised the 2million number once. Yes, they should not frame the protester's voice as "HK people's voice" but it is indeed the majority voice now. You tell me how many people came out to support the Police.

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Yeah we all know what happened about Donald Sterling for his individual opinion.

Free speech? Lol. Anyone should be responsible for what he said.

freyzhang likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Morey didn't say anything racist.

I've been to Hong Kong. I know there's tension between mainlanders and islanders.

Chinese people? Dude Chinese people live in Hong Kong. They aren't ethnically Mexicans or from the Congo.
    Unless you tell me otherwise.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  12. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

You compared what Donald Sterling said with Daryl's tweet? Bravo to your logic.

Icepiano is still rational but you lol

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Does enough of the Rockets revenue come from China that Fertitta would do that? His team, his rules, but it would be a remarkably silly thing to do.

The CCP are a thin skinned bunch, who are under tremendous pressure from the HK protests, their own deplorable treatment of their Uighur minority, their inability to develop an environment where their middle class can grow without expropriation or corruption, and US tariffs.

Good. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of vicious psychopaths. I wish all of the misfortune of the world upon that government.

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Not everywhere, for example in some provinces in Canada and Australia and Hong Kong before the handover you don't really need a permit to protest. Of course, if it gets out of line the Police can intervene. And most importantly those are democratic countries, totalitarian governments like the Chinese government of course would abuse the system.

1. China COULD do that without any laws.<----So you are saying like instead of me robbing you illegally, why don't you just let me rob you legally? WTH? You fool can't come up with better argument??
    2. China ain't got time to mess with innocent people. <---- Your country's got very poor track record, do you expect people to believe that? Hahaha

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Darly Morey never said anything racist.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

No, your argument was that China is dismantling the freedom and democracy guaranteed under British colonial rule. I provided sources showing that there was no Democracy and freedoms HK so cherished under colonial rule were severely limited. I called your initial description as characteristically false.

No, I am not saying that Hong Kong does not deserve Democracy. I believe in Democracy, however I do not accept the narrative that China is stripping away something that never existed in the first place.

I believe in the freedom of press, the freedom to assemble, the freedom to protest. However, when protests become riots, when rioters destroy public and property, shut down public transportation systems, lob Molotov cocktails toward the police, these actions are no longer guaranteed under the freedoms of any civilized nation in the world.

If you are who you claim you are, then you should know the economic damage and the disruptions that rioters (a fraction of the Democracy protesters) have been causing to Hong Kong.

freyzhang likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

So if Hong Kong is part of China, then everyone is Chinese.

So how are you people saying Morey is racist now?

Donald Sterling? please .

If you don't want to be a Rockets fan because of this, it's not because of Morey, or Tilman, or Houston, or the NBA, its because of you.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, in China, I would wager that racist (as long as it isnt racist against Han) is far less offensive than questioning the primacy of Beijing over everyone they claim dominion over.

Yung-T and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO China is doing everything to destroy the very basic building blocks of democracy. They destroy any opinion that does not completely align with the opinion of CCP. They have appointed someone dictator for life. They have recently sent nearly 2,000,000 Chinese citizens to concentration camps. They don’t want a democracy. They don’t want people to have freedom of choice, they don’t want people to have any privacy.

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I do not accept the narrative that China is stripping away something that never existed in the first place.
    Then you need to read the Basic Law and the Joint Declaration, both written by your beloved Chinese government. The have made promise to HKers to allow universal suffrage and it has not delivered.

I believe in the freedom of press, the freedom to assemble, the freedom to protest. However, when protests become riots, when rioters destroy public and property, shut down public transportation systems, lob Molotov cocktails toward the police, these actions are no longer guaranteed under the freedoms of any civilized nation in the world.
    You must hate the CCP then, don't you? Do you know how the CCP and Mao Zedong rose to power?? And just seconds ago you used the 1967 HK riots as an example of British people's "brutal crackdown"?? Are you supporting those Pro-Beijing rioters in 1967??

#240 ashleyem, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    clutchdabear and Nook like this.