1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe, Just Maybe, Bill O’Brien knows what he is doing.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 22, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Answer my question first then I'll answer yours.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Brady is great at avoiding sacks because of the Patriots system. They throw quick passes, mostly slants to those shifty white dudes. That's why they always have good ones.

Once they wear down the pass rusher and dishearten them, they'll open it up a little. They'll mix in passes to James White enough to throw everyone off.

The system is what's so good. Brady is probably the all time great quarterback, but Bellicheck is far and away the all time best coach. He far outoaces Brady at his respective position. It's fun to imagine what Peyton, or Brees, or Montana, or anybody like that would have done in Bellicheck's system.

I don't know that Brady has the success he does in another system.

But that system is so good it's made Brady an all time great.

There's a reason why if you can jam those slants AND get pressure on Brady with a pass rush (as in, ruin the system), Brady becomes a slightly above average quarterback.

And to that end, there's a reason why Bellicheck's proteges don't just go out and have wild success. It's because he's so good that he knows not to teach them all of the details. As long as he's coaching, he's not going to allow one of his guys to go out and outdo him. What's going to suck is if and when he does retire, he's going to give everything to McDaniels and as long as everything can stay largely in place, and with a decent quarterback, the dyansty will likely continue for a while.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ok. I think DeShaun Watson is an elite QB.

dkoune likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

It saddens me that my sarcasm was responded with a serious post. I was trying to hint at something but the hint was clearly not obvious enough.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I got you for sure. I just chose that post as a random quote to jump in the conversation. Sorry.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ok. I was wondering if somehow people forgot why BOB was hired in the first place.

I agree with what you said. Its just ironic that we cant do this with the coach hired to specifically do this.

vinsensual and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Most positive or negative thread on BillyO during the season is kind of useless in my opinion. Making the post-season, and performance therein is what matters.

And no, that doesn't make me spoiled.

We know BillyO can get us 9-7 or better. The only time he hasn't to date is when he quickly went all-in on DW, and once DW was injured, they were screwed.

If he doesn't get out of the second round, I'll be disappointed.

We can certainly point out details - positive or negative - that seem to impact results. His continued poor clock management in 2 minute situations, his continued poor use of challenge flags, the overuse of plays that don't work, but on the other hand the ability to generally manage games close, have the trust of his players (seemingly) and at least recognizing the holes that needed to be filled (even if it meant giving up a ton of assets). But ultimately, all that matters is can he be the VERY VERY rare coach who in year 6+ with his organization makes a leap and wins a SB?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Winning a Super Bowl = "has no success"?

9. raining threes

I've moved on,

I like the trades.

I would've made Clowney play on the tag rather than trading him for only a 3rd rd pick and then tried to get a better deal for Clowney next offseason. The entire Clowney situation was handled wrong from the beginning.

Nook, red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, he's stupid.

He traded all that draft capital so the team could win 9 games again and get bounced in the first round.

This is a very average team with a mortgaged future

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not disagreeing with you, but curious how you feel about RC going forward?

12. Mr. Clutch

Well he's 72. I think the next regime should decide and set their own staff

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When BOB was first hired, he had the option to keep Wade Phillips as DC. And IIRC, he really wanted to stay and even lobbied for it.

Everyone talks about Kubiak going to Denver and winning a SB, but he did riding Wade's defense.

raining threes likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I remember that. Butt chin wanted his all patriots staff. We all know about Wades first year and then it tails off thereafter, but there mustve been somthing in the water in Denver, cause there wasnt a significant drop off his second year. Maybe having a good GM has something to do with that.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I hate to break it to you but there is a good chance you will be disappointed.

16. Mr. Clutch

Kubiak also did it with by making bad QBs look good. He made Osweiler look like a future star so that OBrien gave him a massive contract

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Serious question: how was Denver’s oline then?

18. Mr. Clutch

I think they were pretty good as kubiaks offensive lines usually are

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He said "JAY" Gruden (Washington), not "JOHN" (Raiders). Even if it was JOHN, John only won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players (the season after they fired Dungy because he couldn't get passed the NFC Championship game. JOHN couldn't even come close to matching that success once he had to build as those players got older and left. "JAY" has done ****. He was an OFFENSIVE ASSISTANT on the Bucs when they won the Super Bowl, Not the OC.

20. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I have to disagree, while the Texans are my favorite team, I’ve been a Raiders fan since 83. I was also a big Dungy fan with the Bucs. I watched every Raider and Bucs game that season. Everyone likes to diminish Gruden accomplishments with Tampa by saying he won with Dungy’s players, but Tamps beat a team Gruden built (the Raiders) in the SB that year. I also believe if not for the ridiculous tuck rule, Gruden would’ve taken the Raiders to a SB in 2001 as well.

I think one of the main causes of Gruden lack of continued success in TB was the trade TB made to acquire Gruden. If you remember, they gave the Raiders 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks. TB’s roster was a little on the older side so not being able to add young talent hurt them. He also couldn’t adequately replace B. Johnson at QB. Some of his TB teams also got hit hard by injuries.

https://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay...-jon-gruden-gamble-paid-off-with-a-super-bowl