1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon signs 4 year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2019.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

While i was agianst handing out extensions right now, EG is a great piece on this team and i love what we did with the last year, giving a guarantee if we win the ship.

2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

He has gotta pay now or else the price would be steep next summer

BaselineFade and Rochut like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Appears the team will be as it was last season except Westbrook instead of CP3.
    Hard to bring Gordon off the bench making his $14M.....but I knew Rockets would start him to build trade value
    by trade deadline. Not much has changed except probably extended window to trade Gordon (summer ‘20).

Yes, his contract will jump up to $19M on the avg in summer ‘20.....good for matching disgruntled wing on the trading
    block in summer ‘20.

I’m just venting: I’m not one for just Offense, Offense, Offense. Like “Air-Coryell” of the NFL San Diego Chargers
    or Dan Marino and the “Mark’s Brothers” of the NFL Miami Dolphins.....I unfortunately see just Offense in today’s
    Rockets. Yes, I know about the Rockets defense after the All-Star break, but I think it was smoke and mirrors.

Tucker/Harden/Gordon and now add Westbrook are not the best shot blockers in the world. Harden and Westbrook
    both get accused of ball watching and losing their assignment. Gordon has never been know as a defender.

Anthony Davis is going to move to center (in the playoffs) to draw Capela away from the rim and LeBron is going to have a field day pushing with off hand and refs looking the other way......non contested practically.—Lakers

Patrick Patterson can be moved to center to draw Capela out to the perimeter (Def switch) and Paul George
    and Kawhi Leonard will have a field day. —Clippers

Rockets like to go 3’s vs other teams 2’s.
    But when other teams take away the 3’s.....we go hard
    fought Rockets 2’s vs easy opponents layup drill 2’s. Not a good recipe for success. Hopefully D’Antoni
    and this team prove me wrong.

Maybe a smallish team can win nowadays without a center that doesn’t shoot 3’s (Brook Lopez- Bucks
    and Horford/Embiid- 76ers in the East) and little to no shot blocking outside of said center. I would like
    to see it.

Go Rockets! It needs to be high octane from beginning (season) to end (playoffs).

#163 ApacheWarrior, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    rhee likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

[​IMG]

Hakeemtheking and Zoplicone like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That’s a nice deal for both sides. Not without risk but Gordon has been healthy for his tenure here.

Hakeemtheking and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Gordon is not tradable the whole season according to CBA rules.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Not good for Gordon.

4th year Condition should not be ring, should be his stats, like 16 pts a game..

Non all star, Chris Paul, 2nd highest payroll in the world is only 16, 8.

#167 BigBum, Aug 31, 2019
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

for safety.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes sir, I mentioned we have to wait until summer 2020

Before extension we were going to trade him by deadline or risk losing him without compensation.

Thus window extended to summer 2020 (to trade him then). Coincides with end of D’Antoni lame duck year
    if he fails. I define failure as less than WCF or NBA finals this season.

This is why recently I’ve been implying we are stuck with the small lineup more or less of last year.
    Now: Westbrook/Gordon/Harden/Tucker w/Capela or T Chandler

Rockets were 2nd to last in opponent FG% less than 5 ft (only Cavs worse): 64.4%
    https://stats.nba.com/teams/opponent-shooting/?sort=Less Than 5 ft. FG PCT&dir=1

Rockets were 2nd to last in opponent FG% in the restricted area (only Cavs worse): 66.7%
    https://stats.nba.com/teams/opponen...asonType=Regular Season&DistanceRange=By Zone

#169 ApacheWarrior, Aug 31, 2019
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m fine with this and seems to be expected; don’t think we would go that high with dollars and years if we were expecting to dangle him in trades.
    I actually love knowing Harden Russ EG and CC are Rockets for the next few years.

But now I again really have to wonder how are we going to land another forward?? A sign and trade with Shump or Nene and picks was already super wishful thinking, but in less than two months it’s not even possible. PJ would mean we’re losing a forward to gain a forward. No other contract adds up to anything. Are we actually just going to rely on House improving (still leaves us with a length issue) or hope a game changer is going to get bought out and pick us???
    Entering the season without another forward will definitely be our downfall. But it’s pretty clear now that is how we’re choosing to enter the season.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

@BimaThug any idea what happens to EG's 4th year should he get traded during this contract? if he gets traded next summer and then we win the title right after, then he gets that 4th year? :D

12. Raven

Raven Member

Reddit's /NBA is threatening to vote him to all star game just to extend his contract.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Looks like EG will retire a Rocket...
    Hopefully with some added finger bling..

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Only thought of this now....isn’t it ...awkward...PJ comes out to the media saying the time for his extension is now, and they go ahead and extend EG?

RichieBanks and hakeem94 like this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

tillman haters faint. Truly blessed to have one of the best owners in the NBA that will spend for his team

#175 LosPollosHermanos, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Rockets are going all the way this year, finally bringing in the 3rd NBA championship to Houston. When that happens, EG will have earned that 4th year.

Book it.

bilaal14 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*Tilman approved!*

D-rock, bilaal14, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Quotes from Eric Gordon after the contract extension signing. Also below, CP3 congrats EG on the extension via an IG post.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

The point is not particularly valid.

It's just your opinion.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I never bought into the Tillman hate. Most of the haters were ridiculous. There are a few that simply wanted our owner to spend this season and add a little more to our team so we can maximize our contention for the upcoming season. I believe those few will be disappointed.

It definitely appears we aren’t touching the luxury tax this year. Can’t blame him considering what’s on the books the following three years.

dmoneybangbang likes this.