1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rockets Coach Tom Nissalke dies at 87

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure this was posted, but Nissalke passed away about a week ago. He was the head coach of the Rockets when I first started following them as a little kid. He also won Coach of the Year as the Rockets' head coach and showed up on the broadcast team a while later, if I recall correctly. I knew he coached Mo Malone, but had no idea he waived a player for farting. o_O

https://www.slcdunk.com/utah-jazz-h...es-about-the-first-coach-in-utah-jazz-history

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for that article. Did not know about him.

Odd they'd say he coached Malone and Lucas, but no mention of Rudy and Calvin...just to get in the "the very first John Lucas, not even the third" joke??

I'd like to hear some Rudy, Calvin and Lucas quotes about him. He was their coach for 3 years, including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals (yes, Eastern).

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

way before my time, but any ex rockets great deserves our respect and moment of silence.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Coached the Rockets for three seasons, made the playoffs twice, and advanced us to the EASTERN Conference Finals in '77.

Thanks for your efforts. RIP

saleem likes this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hadn't seen this, thanks for posting.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

If only he'd been here to spare us from Dwight's final season as a Rocket.

RIP, Coach Tom.

Williamson likes this.