1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. prospecthugger

Ryan Gusto made his pro debut in the GCL. Gave up a lead off double, then set down the next 6 batters including 3 Ks on his way to 2 scoreless innings.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Joe Perez just homered again. He now has six on the year for Tri-City, which puts him in a tie for the team lead with Nate Perry.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wow, he’s hot. Kid’s got power, and as he gets further away from his injury I can envision him blowing up. Big opportunity in QC next season.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quad Cities roster could be absolutely stacked next season depending on how aggressively they promote:

C K Lee 1st rd pick
    1B Perry 5th rd pick; 140 wRC+ in low A
    2B Santana main return in Davis trade; 11% k rate in low A
    SS Nova Org #3 prospect according to mlb.com
    3B Perez 2nd rd pick; leading TC in HR
    OF Brewer 3rd rd pick
    OF McKenna 4th rd pick
    OF Guerrero 8th rd pick
    DH Biermann 122 wRC+ in low A
    Bench:
    Paulino 137 wRC+ in low A
    Stubbs 137 wRC+ in low A
    AJ Lee 130 wRC+ in low A
    Barefoot 6th rd pick

And that assumes Kessinger (2nd rd pick) is promoted to high A to start next season.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Freúdis Nova (3) and Grae Kessinger (2) have homered for Quad Cities.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Myles Straw starting at 2B tonight.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m pretty interested in how Kent Emanuel looks tonight. In his 6 July appearances, he’s thrown 29.1 IP with only 1 ER, 6 bb, and 23 k. If he’s able to finish the season with 60 stellar innings, his Rule 5 case will be one to watch.

Nook likes this.
  8. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Toro had 5 hits last night, at .417/1.058, albeit a tiny sample w/ 24ABs. He had 16HRs at AA, and he's only 22.

If this keeps up, the Astros have another 1B candidate IMO if Alvarez doesn't work out there, which is probable. Given all the LH hitters in the game today, I certainly like the idea of 3B converting to 1B than the other way around. There certainly isn't room for him anywhere else, and other than catcher (which he ironically briefly played) they don't have any significant reason to trade him over the next two seasons.

On a related note, they really didn't have a place for Beer with Alvarez on the team. Toro's profile fits perfectly.

#2408 Tuk88, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Agree, Toro projects as a very good replacement for Gurriel at 1B. I believe over time he would be an excellent defender there. He will hit for more power and walk more than Gurriel, although he will probably strikeout quite a bit more than Gurriel does.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's pretty clear the Astros really don't like Alvarez as a 1B. If Beer kept hitting the Astros wouldn't have had any issues finding him PA's next season with plans to replace Yuli in 21.

I think more than anything Yuli's resurgence made the Astros more willing to part with him.

11. htownbball

htownbball Member

More power than Super Saiyan Yuli? I think Toro projects as a similar power profile, 18-25 homers a year

Htown Legend and moonsh0t like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Beer has all the physical tools to be a very good defensive first baseman. He is a very good athlete, but quite slow. He has soft hands and good reflexes. Had he kept hitting he would have wound up at 1st for the Astros.

Torro also has the attributes to be good at first and his bat is progressing well.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m comparing across Gurriels whole mlb career; his HR totals have been 3, 18, and 13 prior to this season. I agree that Toro probably will hit in the 18-28 range per season, which I consider to be more than Gurriel. Obviously we’d all be happy with Toro coming up and becoming 2019 Yuli.

I have been (happily) wrong about Gurriel his season; I thought his age was catching up and he was toast. Instead he’s having the best season of his career and has easily been one of the 10 best 1B in the league.

Nook likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m trying to imagine someone walking less than Yuli. Is such a thing even possible?

15. prospecthugger

His 3 HR season was a partial season, and his 13 HR season, he broke his hamate (a notoriously power-sapping injury) in spring training. So I think there's reason to believe that 2017 and 2019 are more representative of Yuli's true talent level, though that may be different than what you're saying.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The level of talent Gurriel has is incredible.

I often wonder what he would have become had he been in the international draft as a 17 year old.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He used to draw walks. He had a 1.5 walks to 1 strikeout ratio.

His approach in the big leagues has been a little different.

The player that even walks less than Gurriel is Javier Baez.

At least Gurriel doesn't strikeout much...... Baez has a 6:1 strikeout to walk ratio.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He would probably be a hall of famer.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  19. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Apparently 39% of MLB hitters are left handed. That's probably the #1 reason why a 1B should field just as well as a 3B in today's game, and the Astros are as usual out in front of that (Gurriel, Diaz are 3B first, while White even played SS in AAA). I just don't see Beer being able to play 3B, much less Alvarez. Toro fits the mold. I remember a hard hit ball that Diaz scooped up at 1B, and Blum or Kalas saying, 'That's the value of having a 3B at 1B'.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Not just that but with the shift so prevalent they now play way off the bag at 1b and you need decent athleticism to do that.
    But, I’m still of the opinion let’s not overthink this 1b is still the easiest position to play.

Buck Turgidson likes this.