1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Davis and Chiozza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 30, 2019.

1. rammo

rammo Member

After having McLemore on my fantasy squad last year (meaning I watched him with blind optimism and intent), I’m mildly optimistic he’ll be great in this system.

PS - Thanks for the memories players I’ve already forgotten the names of.

2. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I think GG and Clark can be good rotation guys

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i hope so. besides rivers, the rest of the bench is a big question mark.

• house was good for a small sample size on a depleted roster and didn't earn playoff minutes.
    • chandler played 55 games, who's gonna get the backup center minutes (12-15) for the other 27 or more games?
    • clark, harty, proved nothing yet.
    • mclemore and bennet are just trying to get back in the NBA, earning rotation minutes is a big leap / stretch for them.
    • green is good regular season depth but i wouldn't want him in the 9 man rotation playing 12mpg or more. too one dimensional.
    • clemons, ponds, and frazier are probably vipers this year.

i mean we are talking about a lot of minutes per game going to some very shaky players!

we could see this rotation based on last year's MPG:

capela (34) - chandler(14) - clark get these minutes when chandler doesn't play
    tucker (34)
    harden (37) - house (25)
    gordon (32)
    russ (36) - rivers (28)

however, i'd like to cut back on some of the minutes for the starters, and not rely so heavily on house/chandler/clark.

ideally i'd put the minutes distribution like this:

capela (30) - chandler (12)
    tucker (28)
    harden (32) - house (18)
    gordon (28)
    russ (32) - rivers (28)

that leaves 30mpg (42 w/o chandler). i would like to see 2-3 vet signings to round out the regular season roster... and i'd like MDA to actually play 9-10 guys per game so we can be fresh deep into the playoffs. the playoff rotation can be 8 guys playing big minutes but not during the regular season.

the 2-3 vet signings i'd like to see are as follows:

1. a backup center to play when chandler doesn't (noah, gortat, monroe, nene, amir). i don't believe clark or harty are ready for these minutes.
    2. a 3&D, or 3 or D, forward (sefalosha, jerebko, carter, cunningham, wesley johnson, etc..). again i don't believe clark is ready, and not 100% sure about house being ready for minutes close to 30 per game.
    3. a combo guard who can either shoot or defend or both (livingston, simmons, crawford, meeks, jarian grant, bayless, mack). GG is a great shooter but some of these guys add a second skill like defending, dribbling or passing that GG doesn't do.

ArtV, Hakeemtheking, glynch and 4 others like this.
  4. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Solid points all around, I think our guard rotation is great but we definitely do need another center behind Chandler. Hart is garbage and we definitely can’t play Clark there even though I think Clark will be great this season. Our biggest need is a forward tho, definitely need a bigger wing that can start for us. I think Thabo could be a short term fix on that. I trust Morey though and he’s even come out and said that there will be more additions

Also, GG has already proven that he can be a good rotation piece in the regular season and spot minutes in the playoffs when you need a bucket. I like what I saw from Clark last year man, imo he could take Tuck’s spot in a couple years. I think he’s great next to Harden

#64 lockedin34, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hartenstein has done nothing but improve and produce whether it is the g league or summer league. I don't know why people are so down on him even though he is only 21 and has only gotten better. I think he's earned a shot at 3rd string center minutes and when Chandler is out his 30 games per year.

MONON and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah I like clark too. I think clark had great potential on D, needs to become more consistent from 3. I'm not comfortable with him earning rotation minutes this year. worth keeping around, though.

green has proven to be a good regular season guy and situational playoff guy. however, if we're trying to lower the minutes of the starting 5, we have about 20-30mpg remaining. I don't mind green taking 12, but not 20 like last year. of course that was inflated due to injuries.

7. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

You might be surprised by Clark man. I'm more than comfortable with him getting minutes. Agree on Gerald tho

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I sure hope we're all surprised by how good clark is. I'm just saying we have available roster spots, and even for the minimum we can bring in guys who are more sure bets. we have house, clark, and Harty, who are all to various degrees, unproven. chandler needs a backup. green shouldn't get consistent minutes. so why not go after a couple of vets who you know can contribute if our question marks don't pan out.

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Definitely. Right now for those vets like Luc or Sefolosha it’s about waiting to see if a more clear role than we can provide opens up, or maybe waiting into the season for injuries

10. MONON

MONON Member

Come on smoothie! You know that ain't gonna happen as long as MDA's the coach! The best you can hope for is an 8 man rotation with 1 or 2 guys for 2 or 3 games before being sent to the valley.

BamBam likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i know but ideally we'd follow the spurs model of keeping the stars at 30mpg and playing 10 guys per game.

if we're keeping an 8 man rotation for the whole season we should've spend the full MLE to add a 6th man who can play 30mpg at a high level instead of hoping 2-3 minimum contracts pan out.

but that's what happens when you don't pay the tax.

MONON and jch1911 like this.