1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni: "Not even considering contract" "This is the most contentious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 30, 2019.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

This idea that coaches should never have to play out their contracts needs to go. Of course the coaches love it - everytime they leave a team they get bought out for millions. Show us that you can get to the top of the mountain. And if that's all down to Harden, then show us you can convince him to do whatever it takes to get us there.

kjayp and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oh yeah? And how much would Kerr make if he coached the Rockets, Jopataholic???

justtxyank likes this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Seeing how Dantoni and his agent is playing hardball. Tilman and his family will probably want their own coach next year.

No idea who it could be but I would assume it's an ex-nba player since our timeline doesn't match if we hire a young college coach.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You’re

A turd poster

34to11, ThrillaNManilla and napalm06 like this.
  5. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

D'Antoni wasn't even a Morey Hire it was a Les Hire... He wanted him.. Les probably signed off on giving Paul that wink wink deal as well..

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The clock is ticking for him to make a thread every once in a while.

It has become more often.

7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Harden gets the blame too, but you can also argue a good coach wouldn't let his guy play like that...or would bench him. Ask yourself if it was pop would we had won one of two of those games...yes. not saying McHale is a better coach, but we saw him bench harden in a most win game 6, that benching saved the series beating clippers in 7. So I need my coach to do whatever it takes to win...period

vlaurelio and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well the unit on the floor against the clippers were rolling and mchale didn't want to mess with it. not really benching harden but letting a unit stay longer than expected since they were on a run.

either way i agree that the coach needs to do coachy things like make in game adjustments to game plan, call time outs, make substitutions...

MDA may be a great offensive mind. we might have great sets and offensive strategy, but there's no game management after that. whatever the rockets do with the rest of the offseason, letting MDA start the year as a lame duck coach is probably the worst move of the summer. lame duck coaches lose the locker room. not something you want to do with guys who need to be reeled in like harden and russ. remember when mchale lost the locker room and all effort stopped and he had to be replaced during the season? it was a wasted year. we can't afford that again with harden turning 30. lame duck coaches' teams underperform.

either give him a 1 year extension or replace him now. lots of rookie coaches have seen major success in recent years.

Denovo and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I disagree with your lame duck take....actually on a veteran loaded team. The likelihood of the locker room going south is super unlikely. Everybody knows their role. They know the goal. None of them guys gonna waste a year when they dont have many left cause of a coach contract. I like the move. Mike needs to have pressure, cause not having it hasn't worked. Call me a fool, but I rather try the opposite approach he has har...hey what's to lose....another disappointment in the season like the last 25 years without a chip

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nothing good about having a lame duck coach. Either extend him or move on to someone else. This is a dysfunctional and unhealthy way to run an organization, particularly when you’re dealing with a veteran team who is working in a somewhat gimmicky system. Either commit to that system or move on to a new one, but don’t just sit there spinning your wheels. Not to mention it’s a pretty bad look organizationally.

Mathloom and cheke64 like this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well we disagree with the risk involved. i think its risky to put the coach in that position. will it light a fire under his ass and make him coach for his job next year? its possible you are right, its also possible that this 70 year decides if this is his last season he might as well retire and stops trying (even more so than we've seen).

my point is we are creating a situation that can move strongly in either direction, just to avoid keeping it the same. the same wasn't so bad. we've been a championship contender for 2 years. at worst, extend him and keep it the same. if there is a need for a change, make it now and lets get a slight improvement which might be enough to get us over the top. but i don't think its worth playing the high risk high reward game with MDA's job. we are too close and have too much to lose to risk it blowing up in our face.

snowconeman22 and mike2k132 like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did not watch, but great to surmise that Dantonio thinks we are REAL contentious this year, especially with the top teams in the west.

Thanks as usual @Carl Herrera

[​IMG]

#32 SamFisher, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I see your point, ima people should be a professional guy. At the end of the day he has a contract. When I'm at work I give my 100 percent. Cause no one forced me to do my job, I signed up for it. N I'm getting paid. Can me crazy. I expect people to do there job. Or retire like jeff did

smoothie likes this.
  14. rockets13champs

Pretty much it just means if we start off 4-7. He’s gonna get fired on the spot... short leash

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think that is basketballholic but rather the same group of goofs that come around every summer and always tag each other. I wish a moderator would IP ban that crew.

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Mark Jackson held back a 73-9 team

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pure

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Mark Jax is the very last person who should get any consideration of bringing his considerable poor-coaching talent to TheToyShop. The. Very. Last.

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Disgruntled coach needs to get canned.

20. Remlap

Remlap Member

Why should MDA be criticized for his handling of Melo?
    Melo single-handedly got him run out of NYC for refusing to run his system.
    Remember when Melo was injured for a little while? An unknown guard named Jeremy Lin
    came to life by buying into MDA's system and LINSANITY was born. The Knicks went on a tear,
    Jeremy Lin was a star and the Knicks were the talk of the NBA. Life was good for the Knicks.
    Then, Melo comes back, bogs down the offense, want's his touches and ISO's and the
    Knicks are back to old form and losing ways. D'Antoni is pinned as a failure and run out of town.

Fast forward a couple of years and Chris Paul campaigns for Daryl Morey to pick up Melo for cheap,
    Keep in mind, D'Antoni had by now gained relevance again and made James Harden into an MVP Superstar.
    No one is doubting that MDA's system works (with the right personnel)

I don't think MDA was on board with this pickup. Would ANYONE be?
    Who would be excited about bringing on a player that basically wrote your ticket out of town?
    The Melo experiment failed, Melo was exiled (thank goodness, we might have barely made the playoffs
    had that experiment gone on any longer than it did).

NOPE. I don't see ANY blame on Mike D'Antoni for wanting to bury Melo.
    I'll take MDA over Melo on any day of the week.

As for Faried, something must have happened behind the scenes.
    He simply vanished. No one really talked about it. Can't hang that on MDA either if
    we don't even know what happened.

The players seem to like D'Antoni and that says a lot about a coach. Especially if they are successful.
    He's got the best winning percentage of any Rockets coach so far.
    I don't understand all of the angst from fans

#40 Remlap, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    FrontRunner and YOLO like this.